Can't Install - Kernel Panic - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't Install - Kernel Panic - Redhat ; Hi, I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on an old Pentium III 300 MHz machine and set it up as a router. I booted into dos, then accessed the drive with RedHat on it and executed the autoboot.bat file. ...

  1. Can't Install - Kernel Panic

    Hi,

    I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on an old
    Pentium III 300 MHz machine and set it up as
    a router.

    I booted into dos, then accessed the drive
    with RedHat on it and executed the autoboot.bat
    file.

    After executing autoboot.bat, the installation
    continues displaying all the text messages on
    screen till just after the point where it indicates
    that it detected no scsi devices. The installation
    then displays this message and just halts there.

    VFS: Cannot open root device 08:22

    I've been looking around, but haven't found a solution
    to fix up this problem.

    What exactly is 08:22 and how do I fix this up?

  2. Re: Can't Install - Kernel Panic

    Web Spinner wrote:
    > I booted into dos, then accessed the drive
    > with RedHat on it and executed the autoboot.bat
    > file.

    Can't you boot directly from the CD?

    > screen till just after the point where it indicates
    > that it detected no scsi devices.

    Do you have any?

    > What exactly is 08:22 and how do I fix this up?

    I'd say to use a more modern distribution, what kind of
    hardware is (besides the processor)?

    Davide

    --
    | Don't hit a man when he's down -- kick him; it's easier.

  3. Re: Can't Install - Kernel Panic

    Web Spinner wrote:

    > I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on an old
    > Pentium III 300 MHz machine and set it up as
    > a router.

    Why are you trying to set up such an ancient system?
    I'm running Fedora-1 on a 200MHz Pentium II
    (with 64MB RAM) and while it is not the fastest system
    in the world, it works perfectly well.

    > I booted into dos, then accessed the drive
    > with RedHat on it and executed the autoboot.bat
    > file.

    I didn't really understand what you are doing.
    Assuming you have the CDs,
    why not just put the first one in and reboot?
    (Set the BIOS to boot from CD if that is not already set,
    which it almost certainly is.)

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: Can't Install - Kernel Panic

    Web Spinner wrote in
    news:157fa52.0405170551.2f68f27d@posting.google.co m:

    > I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on an old
    > Pentium III 300 MHz machine and set it up as
    > a router.

    Can't help you with the 08:22 stuff, but I'd suggest getting a copy of
    IPCop 1.3 or 1.4beta if you're really wanting to run the old box as a
    firewalled router.
    www.ipcop.org

    I run IPCop on a PII 200 with around 128 mb RAM and it's a workhorse.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt

  5. Re: Can't Install - Kernel Panic

    In article <157fa52.0405170551.2f68f27d@posting.google.com>, Web Spinner wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on an old
    > Pentium III 300 MHz machine and set it up as
    > a router.
    >
    > I booted into dos, then accessed the drive
    > with RedHat on it and executed the autoboot.bat
    > file.
    >
    > After executing autoboot.bat, the installation
    > continues displaying all the text messages on
    > screen till just after the point where it indicates
    > that it detected no scsi devices. The installation
    > then displays this message and just halts there.
    >
    > VFS: Cannot open root device 08:22
    >
    > I've been looking around, but haven't found a solution
    > to fix up this problem.
    >
    > What exactly is 08:22 and how do I fix this up?

    [-]
    08:22 is the 6th partition on the 2nd SCSI HD. Now
    I don't know about RH a./o. autoboot.bat, yet you
    may have a look whether you can pass the root device
    to the kernel.

    If not then you can hardwire the root device using
    rdev /path/to/your/kernel/image /dev/xx:yy.

    See your nearest /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Devices.txt
    for all the device numbers.

    Cheers,
    Juergen

    --
    \ Real name : Juergen Heinzl \ no flames /
    \ Email private : juergen@manannan.org \ send money instead /

+ Reply to Thread