evolution wont start as user (will as root) - Redhat

This is a discussion on evolution wont start as user (will as root) - Redhat ; Hi, I am trying to get ximian evolution working on my computer. It was working just fine until I was trying to move some mail around and it started getting hung up on the startup (never producing an evolution window). ...

  1. evolution wont start as user (will as root)

    Hi,

    I am trying to get ximian evolution working on my computer.
    It was working just fine until I was trying to move some
    mail around and it started getting hung up on the startup
    (never producing an evolution window). When I try to start
    up the program I get:

    (evolution:4783): evolution-shell-WARNING **: CORBA exception
    IDL:GNOME/Evolution/Shell/NotReady:1.0 when requesting URI --
    evolution:/summary

    Interestingly, when I startup the program as root, it works just fine.

    I tried uninstalling evolution (as well as gtk, gtk2 and all programs
    dependent
    on them), moving the evolution directory, and then reinstalling
    evolution (using
    apt-get.

    The problem remains.

    to be precise, the above error is what I get now, after uninstalling
    and reinstalling programs. The original error message was slightly
    longer and refered to errors in gtkwidget at some line.

    I'm not sure what triggered the problem, though it started right after
    I forced closed the little 'evolution is exiting' window before giving
    it a chance to close on it's own.

    Note that I get the same error with evolution -v when logging in as
    user.

    as root:

    [root@localhost zan]# evolution -v

    (evolution:5376): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
    manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
    specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
    (Killing old version of Wombat...)
    calendar-gui-Message: launch_alarm_daemon_cb(): Could not activate the
    alarm notification service

    (evolution:5376): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2010: instance
    `0x9351388' has no handler with id `2284'
    [root@localhost zan]#

    Also I get gtkwidget errors when I run things like synaptic (frontend
    on apt)
    as root:

    [root@localhost zan]# synaptic

    (synaptic:4787): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1827
    (gtk_widget_hide): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

    I am running Fedora Core 1, with the gnome desktop

    Many Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: evolution wont start as user (will as root)

    z wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I am trying to get ximian evolution working on my computer.
    > It was working just fine until I was trying to move some
    > mail around and it started getting hung up on the startup
    > (never producing an evolution window). When I try to start
    > up the program I get:
    >
    > (evolution:4783): evolution-shell-WARNING **: CORBA exception
    > IDL:GNOME/Evolution/Shell/NotReady:1.0 when requesting URI --
    > evolution:/summary
    >
    > Interestingly, when I startup the program as root, it works just fine.
    >
    > I tried uninstalling evolution (as well as gtk, gtk2 and all programs
    > dependent
    > on them), moving the evolution directory, and then reinstalling
    > evolution (using
    > apt-get.
    >
    > The problem remains.
    >
    > to be precise, the above error is what I get now, after uninstalling
    > and reinstalling programs. The original error message was slightly
    > longer and refered to errors in gtkwidget at some line.
    >
    > I'm not sure what triggered the problem, though it started right after
    > I forced closed the little 'evolution is exiting' window before giving
    > it a chance to close on it's own.
    >

    > Note that I get the same error with evolution -v when logging in as
    > user.
    >
    > as root:
    >
    > [root@localhost zan]# evolution -v
    >
    > (evolution:5376): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
    > manager:
    > Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
    > specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
    > (Killing old version of Wombat...)
    > calendar-gui-Message: launch_alarm_daemon_cb(): Could not activate the
    > alarm notification service
    >
    > (evolution:5376): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2010: instance
    > `0x9351388' has no handler with id `2284'
    > [root@localhost zan]#
    >

    > Also I get gtkwidget errors when I run things like synaptic (frontend
    > on apt)
    > as root:
    >
    > [root@localhost zan]# synaptic
    >
    > (synaptic:4787): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1827
    > (gtk_widget_hide): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    >

    > I am running Fedora Core 1, with the gnome desktop
    >

    > Many Thanks for any help.

    I've never been able to get Evolution to work.

  3. Re: evolution wont start as user (will as root)

    zandownsouth@hotmail.com (z) wrote in message news:<4bdb55fb.0405162349.2a1e2bb1@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I am trying to get ximian evolution working on my computer.
    > It was working just fine until I was trying to move some
    > mail around and it started getting hung up on the startup
    > (never producing an evolution window). When I try to start
    > up the program I get:
    >
    > (evolution:4783): evolution-shell-WARNING **: CORBA exception
    > IDL:GNOME/Evolution/Shell/NotReady:1.0 when requesting URI --
    > evolution:/summary
    >
    > Interestingly, when I startup the program as root, it works just fine.

    Sounds like there is a good possibility that it could be a file system
    permissions issue. Try doing:

    cp -a $evo_dir ${evo_dir}.BAK # in case it doesn't work
    $evo_dir="~/evolution"
    chown -R $USER:$USER $evo_dir
    chmod -R u+rw $evo_dir

    You may need to do the above as root.

  4. Re: evolution wont start as user (will as root)

    np_bernstein@hotmail.com (niku) wrote in message news:<75afaa04.0405171514.3dfafa61@posting.google.com>...
    > zandownsouth@hotmail.com (z) wrote in message news:<4bdb55fb.0405162349.2a1e2bb1@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > I am trying to get ximian evolution working on my computer.
    > > It was working just fine until I was trying to move some
    > > mail around and it started getting hung up on the startup
    > > (never producing an evolution window). When I try to start
    > > up the program I get:
    > >
    > > (evolution:4783): evolution-shell-WARNING **: CORBA exception
    > > IDL:GNOME/Evolution/Shell/NotReady:1.0 when requesting URI --
    > > evolution:/summary
    > >
    > > Interestingly, when I startup the program as root, it works just fine.
    > >

    > Sounds like there is a good possibility that it could be a file system
    > permissions issue. Try doing:
    >
    > cp -a $evo_dir ${evo_dir}.BAK # in case it doesn't work
    > $evo_dir="~/evolution"
    > chown -R $USER:$USER $evo_dir
    > chmod -R u+rw $evo_dir
    >
    > You may need to do the above as root.

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Unfortunatly the error persists.

    (evolution:7236): evolution-shell-WARNING **: CORBA exception
    IDL:GNOME/Evolution/Shell/NotReady:1.0 when requesting URI --
    evolution:/summary

    I wonder if it is some permissions issue in a glib file because when I
    run
    evolution -v (as root) I get:

    [root@localhost zan]# evolution -v

    (evolution:5376): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
    manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
    specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
    (Killing old version of Wombat...)
    calendar-gui-Message: launch_alarm_daemon_cb(): Could not activate the
    alarm notification service

    (evolution:5376): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2010: instance
    `0x9351388' has no handler with id `2284'
    [root@localhost zan]#

    ?

    and also from the fact that this seemed to start when I force closed
    the "evolution is exiting" window.

    Unfortunatly, i don't know how to test this.

    Thanks for the help so far,