Editor - Redhat

This is a discussion on Editor - Redhat ; Hi ! Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the following : - Allowing more than one files to be opened - All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between ...

  1. Editor

    Hi !

    Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the
    following :
    - Allowing more than one files to be opened
    - All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between them
    using click on a tab)
    - Syntax highlighting depending on opened file extension (.c for C
    language etc...)
    - Shortcut key binding to a specified command (which allows also macro
    letters, e.g. %n for opened filename (w/ extendsion), %d for file
    directory or similar)
    - Catching external command into Output window

    Thanks for any hint

  2. Re: Editor

    Op Wed, 12 May 2004 11:41:50 +0200, schreef ales_1969 de volgende woorden:

    > Hi !
    >
    > Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the
    > following :

    I would advice emacs. It has everything that you want (maybe in a slightly
    different form).

    > - Allowing more than one files to be opened

    no problem

    > - All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between them
    > using click on a tab)

    you can split your screen and have an overview of the buffers/files
    (Ctrl-x Ctrl-b), which you can click to select (middle mouse button)

    > - Syntax highlighting depending on opened file extension (.c for C
    > language etc...)

    I used syntax highlighting for LaTeX, perl, bash, C, C++, html, matlab
    (extension), ... but there are (many) more.

    > - Shortcut key binding to a specified command (which allows also macro
    > letters, e.g. %n for opened filename (w/ extendsion), %d for file
    > directory or similar)

    if you like keyboard shortcuts, you'll definitely should try emacs.

    > - Catching external command into Output window

    I run LaTeX and matlab from within emacs, the output can be viewed from
    within emacs. You can also run a shell from whitin emacs and compile c ...
    (you can in fact do anything with emacs (except making coffee) )

    Other possibilities are Kate and Vim. (In fact I don't know if vim does
    it, but I guess so. And if I don't mention it, I will start a
    religious war, and that's not my intention )

    > Thanks for any hint

    Greetings,

    Dirk

    --
    --- begin virus email ---
    This is a multiplatform virus. Because Bill is the only one who manages to

  3. Re: Editor

    In article <%lmoc.2511$37.347810@news.siol.net>, ales_1969 wrote:
    > Hi !
    >
    > Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the
    > following :
    > - Allowing more than one files to be opened
    > - All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between them
    > using click on a tab)
    > - Syntax highlighting depending on opened file extension (.c for C
    > language etc...)
    > - Shortcut key binding to a specified command (which allows also macro
    > letters, e.g. %n for opened filename (w/ extendsion), %d for file
    > directory or similar)
    > - Catching external command into Output window

    I think you might want to check out 'nedit'. Although it does not do 'tabbed
    windows', it does do split screens.

    Also, vim (text mode) and gvim (GUI mode) support everything you mentioned
    except the tabbed windows, and you get all the power of vi - the best editor on
    the planet!

    Kevin

  4. Re: Editor

    ales_1969 wrote in

    > Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the
    > following :

    I don't know about KDE but gedit (Gnome Edit) has almost all of these
    features and it is clean and easy to use. Try launching "gedit" in a term
    window and see if it is what you are looking for.

    --
    ~Ohmster

  5. Re: Editor

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:41:50 +0200, ales_1969 wrote:

    > Hi !
    >
    > Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the
    > following :
    > - Allowing more than one files to be opened
    > - All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between them
    > using click on a tab)
    > - Syntax highlighting depending on opened file extension (.c for C
    > language etc...)
    > - Shortcut key binding to a specified command (which allows also macro
    > letters, e.g. %n for opened filename (w/ extendsion), %d for file
    > directory or similar)
    > - Catching external command into Output window
    >
    > Thanks for any hint

    Kate is installed by default with most KDE installations: It does multiple
    tabs beautifully, and I believe it has an extension system to cover the
    rest of your bases.

  6. Re: Editor

    maxo wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:41:50 +0200, ales_1969 wrote:
    >

    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the
    >>following :
    >>- Allowing more than one files to be opened
    >>- All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between them
    >>using click on a tab)
    >>- Syntax highlighting depending on opened file extension (.c for C
    >>language etc...)
    >>- Shortcut key binding to a specified command (which allows also macro
    >>letters, e.g. %n for opened filename (w/ extendsion), %d for file
    >>directory or similar)
    >>- Catching external command into Output window
    >>
    >>Thanks for any hint

    > Kate is installed by default with most KDE installations: It does multiple
    > tabs beautifully, and I believe it has an extension system to cover the
    > rest of your bases.

    Hi !

    Thanks all for your answers. Many of you suggested emacs, but emacs is
    the very cpu/mem intensitive (although you can install emacs server...).
    I had tried vim (it was the one who has eaten the most memory), gvim (it
    looks nice and I will gonna check it for more), kate (I *DIDN'T* find
    tab option, but it looks really nice - I also sent an email to author
    for some tips). Right now, I am gonna test for some more (I need *ALL*
    of specified option, not just *MOST* of them).

    Alex

  7. Re: Editor

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:26:33 +0200, ales_1969 wrote:

    > kate (I *DIDN'T* find
    > tab option

    with the newest kate, you should have three "tabs" on the left. One is a
    window list, one is a project list, and the other is a simple file picker.
    So the windows aren't "tabbed", they're in a list, that has tab
    functionality...

    I can't tell you more since I don't use it often, I use gedit for my
    simple, non-programming tasks. At any rate, I've heard people just rave
    about Kate more than any other gui linux editor, that's got to mean
    something ;P

  8. Re: Editor

    spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <%lmoc.2511$37.347810@news.siol.net>, ales_1969 wrote:
    > I think you might want to check out 'nedit'. Although it does not do 'tabbed
    > windows',

    Well, nedit *did* not do 'tabbed windows', but now it does.
    Here is a screenshot (although running on M$ Windows)

    http://nedit.gmxhome.de/news.html

    All the other things requested by the OP are there, too.

    Cheers,
    Joerg

  9. Re: Editor

    In article <917508b1.0405130848.7d233c0f@posting.google.com>, J?rg wrote:
    > spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) wrote in message
    >> In article <%lmoc.2511$37.347810@news.siol.net>, ales_1969 wrote:
    >> I think you might want to check out 'nedit'. Although it does not do 'tabbed
    >> windows',

    > Well, nedit *did* not do 'tabbed windows', but now it does.
    > Here is a screenshot (although running on M$ Windows)
    >
    > http://nedit.gmxhome.de/news.html
    >
    > All the other things requested by the OP are there, too.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Joerg

    Cool! Thanks for the info. Personally, I'm a vi/vim guy, but I usually
    recommend nedit to non-technical (or non- unix/linux) types needing a good
    editor that isn't vi-based.

    Kevin

  10. Re: Editor

    spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) wrote in message news:...
    > Cool! Thanks for the info. Personally, I'm a vi/vim guy, but I usually
    > recommend nedit to non-technical (or non- unix/linux) types needing a good
    > editor that isn't vi-based.

    For historic reasons a good part of nedit's user base are programmers
    and others working on unix (not linux) systems - almost all developers
    are anyway.
    So, it is nice that you recommend nedit to other types of folks, too.

    Cheers,
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread