Recommended partition sizes on small hard drives - Redhat

This is a discussion on Recommended partition sizes on small hard drives - Redhat ; I am trying to install Fedora on a 2.1 and 1gb hard drive. I am trying to do a custom install with Gnome, most of the server packages, most of the office productivity packages, and some of the publishing and ...

  1. Recommended partition sizes on small hard drives

    I am trying to install Fedora on a 2.1 and 1gb hard drive. I am
    trying to do a custom install with Gnome, most of the server packages,
    most of the office productivity packages, and some of the publishing
    and graphics packages. The total size the installer thinks it needs
    to install is around 2 gigs. I have 3 gigs of space among two hard
    drives... How should I partition the drive to get it all on there.
    Any ideas or recommendations (besides get a bigger hard drive)?

  2. Re: Recommended partition sizes on small hard drives

    "Mo" wrote in message
    news:5edf837c.0405111907.35859b71@posting.google.c om...
    > I am trying to install Fedora on a 2.1 and 1gb hard drive. I am
    > trying to do a custom install with Gnome, most of the server packages,
    > most of the office productivity packages, and some of the publishing
    > and graphics packages. The total size the installer thinks it needs
    > to install is around 2 gigs. I have 3 gigs of space among two hard
    > drives... How should I partition the drive to get it all on there.
    > Any ideas or recommendations (besides get a bigger hard drive)?

    Mo;

    You answered your own question: NO. Leave the drive as a single partition
    and hope all you want will fit. Doubtful IMHO that you will be happy.

    Doug

  3. Re: Recommended partition sizes on small hard drives

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:11:50 -0500, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:

    > "Mo" wrote in message
    > news:5edf837c.0405111907.35859b71@posting.google.c om...
    >> I am trying to install Fedora on a 2.1 and 1gb hard drive. I am
    >> trying to do a custom install with Gnome, most of the server packages,
    >> most of the office productivity packages, and some of the publishing
    >> and graphics packages. The total size the installer thinks it needs
    >> to install is around 2 gigs. I have 3 gigs of space among two hard
    >> drives... How should I partition the drive to get it all on there.
    >> Any ideas or recommendations (besides get a bigger hard drive)?

    > Mo;
    >
    > You answered your own question: NO. Leave the drive as a single partition
    > and hope all you want will fit. Doubtful IMHO that you will be happy.
    >
    > Doug

    I'd pretty much agree, though you might want to create a 500mb /home
    partition to keep your personal settings in case you reinstall or fubar
    the system. A basic Gnome install with OOo, and the Gimp, but with no
    developer packages is going to run just shy of a gig if my memory serves
    me right.

    You'll of course, also have to create a swap partition, this is mandatory.
    It should be about the same size as your ram. Since you're pressed for
    space perhaps you could do a bit less, for example; if you had 256 mb of
    ram, you could survive with 128mb of swap.

    Good luck and really, save your pennies for a cheap new drive--put an ad
    in the paper and offer to bake a dozen cookies in exchange for a slightly
    used 20 gigger--you'd be surprised!

    btw: I used to dual boot Suse and Win98 on a 3gigger, so it's not going to
    be a huge pain, just keep your package selection tight.

+ Reply to Thread