Getting security settings to save - Redhat

This is a discussion on Getting security settings to save - Redhat ; I am trying to configure my redhat fedora rc1 to allow incoming ftp connections. It's running headlesss, so I have to use line commands. I am using the setup utility, but no matter how many times I configure it ( ...

  1. Getting security settings to save

    I am trying to configure my redhat fedora rc1 to allow incoming ftp
    connections.

    It's running headlesss, so I have to use line commands.

    I am using the setup utility, but no matter how many times I configure
    it ( running as superuser ) when I go back to look at the changes (
    using setup ) they return to their former values.

    What do I have to manually edit to allow incoming ftp via the firewall
    -- or how can I disable the firewall ?

  2. Re: Getting security settings to save

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:47:54 GMT,
    A Waterfall That Barks posted:

    > I am trying to configure my redhat fedora rc1 to allow incoming ftp
    > connections.
    >
    > It's running headlesss, so I have to use line commands.
    >
    > I am using the setup utility, but no matter how many times I configure
    > it (running as superuser) when I go back to look at the changes (using
    > setup) they return to their former values.

    I haven't done that on Fedora, but the Red Hat Linux tool firewall/security
    utility always started from afresh when you ran it, it never loaded in the
    old configuration for you to modify. It's confusing and not very helpful.

    I ended up making a script of iptable commands to set my firewall options.
    That gives me something with a permenent entry for my rules, and easily
    modifiable (as well as I can add comments). I just run my script each time
    I make a change to it. It applies the changes, and it saves the results
    into the location that iptables looks for its configuration each time the
    computer boots up (i.e. I don't have to run my script each boot time, only
    when I make changes to it).

    > What do I have to manually edit to allow incoming ftp via the firewall
    > -- or how can I disable the firewall ?

    Disabling a firewall isn't a brilliant idea in this day and age. Generally
    it's port 20 and 21 used for FTP serving.

    --
    If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
    temporary). But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

    This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.

+ Reply to Thread