Configuring X for Redhat 9 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Configuring X for Redhat 9 - Redhat ; Greetings - I have an X Windows screen resolution problem with Redhat 9. Specifically, I've modified /etc/X11/XF86Config to support a 1024x768 display, yet when /etc/inittab invokes /etc/X11/prefdm to launch gdm, a larger default format is selected. If I prevent prefdm ...

  1. Configuring X for Redhat 9

    Greetings -

    I have an X Windows screen resolution problem with Redhat 9.
    Specifically, I've modified /etc/X11/XF86Config to support a 1024x768
    display, yet when /etc/inittab invokes /etc/X11/prefdm to launch gdm,
    a larger default format is selected. If I prevent prefdm from
    automatically running upon reboot and then manually invoke it, the
    desired screen resolution (1024x768) works. Arrugh! Can someone
    point out the obvious to me here, because I'm not seeing what's wrong.

    As a bonus question, what is causing gdm to auto-spawn a login
    console? (I commented out the respanw statement for prefdm from
    inittab, but still the graphical login window re-appears when I log
    out.

    Finally, is there a definitive, complete, (and hopefully turse)
    explaination on how X, XFree86, etc. works? It seems like a very
    large mass of tangled logic... and a bit of RTFM is definately in my
    future... if someone can point me to it.

    Thanx -

    -Darren-

  2. Re: Configuring X for Redhat 9

    In article <556e02b6.0405110815.1ac02505@posting.google.com>, Darren wrote:
    > Greetings -
    >
    > I have an X Windows screen resolution problem with Redhat 9.
    > Specifically, I've modified /etc/X11/XF86Config to support a 1024x768
    > display, yet when /etc/inittab invokes /etc/X11/prefdm to launch gdm,
    > a larger default format is selected. If I prevent prefdm from
    > automatically running upon reboot and then manually invoke it, the
    > desired screen resolution (1024x768) works. Arrugh! Can someone
    > point out the obvious to me here, because I'm not seeing what's wrong.

    Sorry, don't know the answer to that...

    > As a bonus question, what is causing gdm to auto-spawn a login
    > console? (I commented out the respanw statement for prefdm from
    > inittab, but still the graphical login window re-appears when I log
    > out.

    Just commenting it out will not stop the respawn - you must tell init to reread
    its config:

    # init q

    will do the trick...

    > Finally, is there a definitive, complete, (and hopefully turse) explaination
    > on how X, XFree86, etc. works? It seems like a very large mass of tangled
    > logic... and a bit of RTFM is definately in my future... if someone can point
    > me to it.

    It is I think a good education can be had by familiarizing yourself with all
    of the scripts under /etc/X11, although it's not a walk in the park!

    Kevin

  3. Re: Configuring X for Redhat 9

    spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <556e02b6.0405110815.1ac02505@posting.google.com>, Darren wrote:
    > > Greetings -
    > >
    > > I have an X Windows screen resolution problem with Redhat 9.
    > > Specifically, I've modified /etc/X11/XF86Config to support a 1024x768
    > > display, yet when /etc/inittab invokes /etc/X11/prefdm to launch gdm,
    > > a larger default format is selected. If I prevent prefdm from
    > > automatically running upon reboot and then manually invoke it, the
    > > desired screen resolution (1024x768) works. Arrugh! Can someone
    > > point out the obvious to me here, because I'm not seeing what's wrong.

    > Sorry, don't know the answer to that...
    >
    > > As a bonus question, what is causing gdm to auto-spawn a login
    > > console? (I commented out the respanw statement for prefdm from
    > > inittab, but still the graphical login window re-appears when I log
    > > out.

    > Just commenting it out will not stop the respawn - you must tell init to reread
    > its config:
    >
    > # init q
    >
    > will do the trick...
    >

    > > Finally, is there a definitive, complete, (and hopefully turse) explaination
    > > on how X, XFree86, etc. works? It seems like a very large mass of tangled
    > > logic... and a bit of RTFM is definately in my future... if someone can point
    > > me to it.

    > It is I think a good education can be had by familiarizing yourself with all
    > of the scripts under /etc/X11, although it's not a walk in the park!
    >
    > Kevin

    Try this Link

    http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/...lxwindows.html

    Regards