Directory suddenly turns up as file - Redhat

This is a discussion on Directory suddenly turns up as file - Redhat ; What should be a directory is now showing up as a file, both in the GUI (KDE) and the shell. Instead of being called "directroy_name", it's suddenly "directory_name.directory". When I open this "file" I get a text file with a ...

  1. Directory suddenly turns up as file

    What should be a directory is now showing up as a file, both in the
    GUI (KDE) and the shell. Instead of being called "directroy_name",
    it's suddenly "directory_name.directory".

    When I open this "file" I get a text file with a list of icon x,y
    positions for the files that are supposed to be in the directory, for
    example:

    [IconPosition:first_file]
    X=257
    Y=5

    But there seems to be no way now to access the files themselves.

    Any help greatly appreciated, since without these files, we've got
    major problems here.

    Thanks,
    Bill
    Redhat 7.2
    KDE 2.2-11

  2. Re: Directory suddenly turns up as file

    "B. Connor" wrote:
    > What should be a directory is now showing up as a file, both in the
    > GUI (KDE) and the shell.

    1. You should check your filesystem.
    2. Try to get and run some AV software
    If 1. and 2. don't help if you are desperate:
    3. Check "man chmod" for changing file into directory.
    4. I checked R.Stivens book : "Advanced programming in Unix enviroment", but
    I didn't find how to change file to directory, you can try to find something
    in some Linux/Unix system programming book or for example check "man mode_t"

    I hope it helps.

  3. Re: Directory suddenly turns up as file

    In article , Mladen Adamovic wrote:
    > "B. Connor" wrote:
    >> What should be a directory is now showing up as a file, both in the
    >> GUI (KDE) and the shell.

    > 1. You should check your filesystem.
    > 2. Try to get and run some AV software
    > If 1. and 2. don't help if you are desperate:
    > 3. Check "man chmod" for changing file into directory.

    This cannot be done - chmod changes permissions, it can't magically make a file
    a directory!

    > 4. I checked R.Stivens book : "Advanced programming in Unix enviroment", but
    > I didn't find how to change file to directory, you can try to find something
    > in some Linux/Unix system programming book or for example check "man mode_t"

    Sounds like a filesystem corruption as on possibility. Have you fsck'd the
    filesystem?

    Kevin

  4. Re: Directory suddenly turns up as file

    B. Connor wrote:

    > What should be a directory is now showing up as a file, both in the
    > GUI (KDE) and the shell. Instead of being called "directroy_name",
    > it's suddenly "directory_name.directory".
    >
    > When I open this "file" I get a text file with a list of icon x,y
    > positions for the files that are supposed to be in the directory, for
    > example:
    >
    > [IconPosition:first_file]
    > X=257
    > Y=5
    >
    > But there seems to be no way now to access the files themselves.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated, since without these files, we've got
    > major problems here.

    the file "x.directory" loks to be a remnant of a GUI of some sort.
    AFIK, ext3 directories know nothing of icons, let alone a position for
    them. What GUI is involved, I have no clue. Perhaps a google search
    for .directory may shed some light on this. Was this directory shared
    to any "foreign" clients like Mac? Was it browseable from html://?
    Either of these may be starting point.

    As to your actual directory, perhaps it got moved or (hopefully not)
    deleted.

    ARS

+ Reply to Thread