Grub not timing out on boot up (waits for input) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Grub not timing out on boot up (waits for input) - Redhat ; For some reason grub just leaves me hanging, waiting for me to press enter on bootup to select the kernel. Does anyone know why? I've got a timeout value set, so it should have a countdown, and then boot automatically. ...

  1. Grub not timing out on boot up (waits for input)

    For some reason grub just leaves me hanging, waiting for me to press
    enter on bootup to select the kernel. Does anyone know why? I've got
    a timeout value set, so it should have a countdown, and then boot
    automatically. If timeout=2, it should just wait 2 seconds, but
    instead it shows no countdown at all.

    uname -a:
    Linux burp 2.4.20-27.9 #1 Thu Dec 11 13:22:41 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
    GNU/Linux

    /etc/issue:

    Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    Kernel \r on an \m

    /etc/grub.conf:

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,0)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md0
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=2
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-27.9)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=/dev/md0
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img

  2. Re: Grub not timing out on boot up (waits for input)

    mohan@terabolic.com (Mohan Khurana) wrote in message news:...
    > For some reason grub just leaves me hanging, waiting for me to press
    > enter on bootup to select the kernel. Does anyone know why? I've got
    > a timeout value set, so it should have a countdown, and then boot
    > automatically. If timeout=2, it should just wait 2 seconds, but
    > instead it shows no countdown at all.
    >
    > uname -a:
    > Linux burp 2.4.20-27.9 #1 Thu Dec 11 13:22:41 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
    > GNU/Linux
    >
    > /etc/issue:
    >
    > Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    > Kernel \r on an \m
    >
    > /etc/grub.conf:
    >
    > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > #
    > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    > file
    > # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    > # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    > # root (hd0,0)
    > # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md0
    > # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    > #boot=/dev/hda
    > default=0
    > timeout=2
    > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-27.9)
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=/dev/md0
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img

    I may be wrong because I am just getting back into Linux FC1 but I
    think you do not have to specify /boot in your path. Try

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=/dev/md0
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img

  3. Re: Grub not timing out on boot up (waits for input)

    mohan@terabolic.com (Mohan Khurana) wrote in message news:...
    > For some reason grub just leaves me hanging, waiting for me to press
    > enter on bootup to select the kernel. Does anyone know why? I've got
    > a timeout value set, so it should have a countdown, and then boot
    > automatically. If timeout=2, it should just wait 2 seconds, but
    > instead it shows no countdown at all.
    >
    > uname -a:
    > Linux burp 2.4.20-27.9 #1 Thu Dec 11 13:22:41 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
    > GNU/Linux
    >
    > /etc/issue:
    >
    > Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    > Kernel \r on an \m
    >
    > /etc/grub.conf:
    >
    > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > #
    > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    > file
    > # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    > # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    > # root (hd0,0)
    > # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md0
    > # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    > #boot=/dev/hda
    > default=0
    > timeout=2
    > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-27.9)
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=/dev/md0
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img

    Grub doesn't know anything about _software_ raid -- it cannot find the
    proper files to boot up automagically. You will have to provide it
    help to locate needed files (the kernel and initrd above).

    It appears you've chosen to install RH on just one, all-inclusive
    partition -- if true, it's not a particularly good idea. Toto, we're
    not in Windows anymore ...

    Not knowing just what scheme you've chosen or raid level, I'm assuming
    you've done all this at installation time using the nice gui tools,
    etc. You've managed to find one of the big holes in the setup program
    -- doesn't really prevent you from doing some "foolish" things here if
    you make the "wrong" choices.

    Read the RH docs about raid and make sure you have set it up the way
    you want.

    You can try these links for pointers specific to using software raid
    and grub:

    a bit unclear in some steps, but ...
    http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/l...ly/014331.html

    a user's example ... (caveat emptor)
    http://www.linuxsa.org.au/mailing-li...3-07/1270.html

    tldp's howto (using Lilo -- no use with grub)
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

    Remember, Google is your friend ...
    (both web and group search)
    linux raid grub

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  4. Re: Grub not timing out on boot up (waits for input)

    GlowOfSunsetREMOVE@Yahoo.com wrote:

    > > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > > #
    > > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    > > file
    > > # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    > > # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    > > # root (hd0,0)
    > > # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md0
    > > # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    > > #boot=/dev/hda
    > > default=0
    > > timeout=2
    > > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    > > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-27.9)
    > > root (hd0,0)
    > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=/dev/md0
    > > initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img

    > I may be wrong because I am just getting back into Linux FC1 but I
    > think you do not have to specify /boot in your path. Try
    >
    > kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=/dev/md0
    > initrd /initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img

    IIRC you may only omit "/boot" if you actually have a partition LABELED
    "/boot". If not, and /boot is an actual directory within the root,
    /boot is still required.

    As noted above, the system does *not* have such a partition, and all
    paths are relative to root ("/")

    I may be wrong.

    Also, the "boot-/dev/hda infers that there are *no* partitions on the
    drive. This is a far from ideal situation.

    ARS

    ARS

+ Reply to Thread