How to change timezone in RH WS 3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to change timezone in RH WS 3 - Redhat ; I installed RH WS3 and I need the timezone to be GMT or UTC. It's EDT now. 'timeconfig' does not have any entries for UTC or GMT. Why does Red Hat make this so difficult? Thanks for any help Mike...

  1. How to change timezone in RH WS 3

    I installed RH WS3 and I need the timezone to be GMT or UTC. It's EDT now.
    'timeconfig' does not have any entries for UTC or GMT.

    Why does Red Hat make this so difficult?

    Thanks for any help

    Mike

  2. Re: How to change timezone in RH WS 3

    supercell@carolina.rr.com (Mike Dross) wrote in message news:<45277b3.0405060852.5c48a7ba@posting.google.com>...
    > I installed RH WS3 and I need the timezone to be GMT or UTC. It's EDT now.
    > 'timeconfig' does not have any entries for UTC or GMT.
    >
    > Why does Red Hat make this so difficult?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Mike

    redhat-config-time in a gui, or edit /etc/sysconfig/clock

  3. Re: How to change timezone in RH WS 3

    alt_phil@yahoo.com (Phil) wrote in message news:<843bbf44.0405061339.34e900cd@posting.google.com>...
    > supercell@carolina.rr.com (Mike Dross) wrote in message news:<45277b3.0405060852.5c48a7ba@posting.google.com>...
    > > I installed RH WS3 and I need the timezone to be GMT or UTC. It's EDT now.
    > > 'timeconfig' does not have any entries for UTC or GMT.
    > >
    > > Why does Red Hat make this so difficult?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help
    > >
    > > Mike

    > redhat-config-time in a gui, or edit /etc/sysconfig/clock

    Neither of those work. GMT or UTC is not in the redhat-config-time or
    the timeconfig. Changing /etc/sysconfig/clock does not change the
    time zone.

    Mike

  4. Re: How to change timezone in RH WS 3

    In article <45277b3.0405120702.160e10d0@posting.google.com>, Mike Dross wrote:
    > alt_phil@yahoo.com (Phil) wrote in message
    >> supercell@carolina.rr.com (Mike Dross) wrote in message
    >> > I installed RH WS3 and I need the timezone to be GMT or UTC. It's EDT now.
    >> > 'timeconfig' does not have any entries for UTC or GMT.
    >> >
    >> > Why does Red Hat make this so difficult?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help
    >> >
    >> > Mike

    >> redhat-config-time in a gui, or edit /etc/sysconfig/clock

    > Neither of those work. GMT or UTC is not in the redhat-config-time or
    > the timeconfig. Changing /etc/sysconfig/clock does not change the
    > time zone.

    Check the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. Hopefully, it will contain a UTC or
    GMT file timezone file. You can then simply link that file to /etc/localtime:

    # ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime

    Are you sure you don't have a TZ variable set in your user ENV? Regardless of
    system time zone, the TZ variable will over-ride that on a per user basis.

    Try:

    # echo $TZ

    or

    # env | grep TZ

    The files in /usr/share/zoneinfo on my RH 9 systems are provided by package
    glibc-common...

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread