Re: Uh oh! RH7.3 Kernel Problems! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: Uh oh! RH7.3 Kernel Problems! - Redhat ; Ashran wrote: > Disaster here, I need help ASAP. I installed the 2.6 kernel, but it > doesnt have a module-[something] file in /boot, i already had removed > the other kernesl before realizing this, and now when i boot ...

  1. Re: Uh oh! RH7.3 Kernel Problems!

    Ashran wrote:
    > Disaster here, I need help ASAP. I installed the 2.6 kernel, but it
    > doesnt have a module-[something] file in /boot, i already had removed
    > the other kernesl before realizing this, and now when i boot RH 7.3
    > alsmot everything fails, including usb, so i can't move my mouse! how
    > can I fix this? Can I boot in console mode, or how do i make a
    > bootdisc for this, and ifnally, when I am in, how do I add that file?
    > thanks!

    Boot from a Knoppix CD and then you can put that "module-[something]
    file right where it needs to be.....

    Whatever it is.....and wherever it goes.

    That's the best answer I can give based on the profound lack of detail
    you have provided.

  2. Re: Uh oh! RH7.3 Kernel Problems!

    steve wrote:
    > Ashran wrote:
    >> Disaster here, I need help ASAP. I installed the 2.6 kernel, but it
    >> doesnt have a module-[something] file in /boot, i already had removed
    >> the other kernesl before realizing this, and now when i boot RH 7.3
    >> alsmot everything fails, including usb, so i can't move my mouse! how
    >> can I fix this? Can I boot in console mode, or how do i make a
    >> bootdisc for this, and ifnally, when I am in, how do I add that file?
    >> thanks!

    > Boot from a Knoppix CD and then you can put that "module-[something]
    > file right where it needs to be.....

    > Whatever it is.....and wherever it goes.

    > That's the best answer I can give based on the profound lack of detail
    > you have provided.

    what I read into this is:
    1: He didn't read the readme.
    2: Didn't get the new modutils package for 2.6.
    and then, most astoundingly
    3: Deleted ALL other working kernels, when installing 2.6, before realising
    what a mess he'd made.

    Fix: Insert original distro CD, reinstall original working kernel,
    modify lilo.conf so it'll boot the original kernel, READ the README, and
    do it properly next time, keeping close to your heart the cardinal rule of
    kernel compilation... never EVER delete a working kernel until you're sure
    everything works properly on the new one.

+ Reply to Thread