Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora - Redhat ; Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip). When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, ...

  1. Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    appears to be playing, but no sound. Fedora recognizes the sound card,
    plays system sounds just fine, and CDs play well under Windows on both
    machines. Volume is up on both the Volume control applet and CD player, as
    well as the speakers system. Have tried all the players available.

    Is there a config file I need to tweak, or some system setting I'm
    missing? CD's do play on the Fedora installation on my HP laptop. Any
    help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray

  2. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    Ray Fortner wrote:
    > Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    > players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    > When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    > appears to be playing, but no sound. Fedora recognizes the sound card,
    > plays system sounds just fine, and CDs play well under Windows on both
    > machines. Volume is up on both the Volume control applet and CD player, as
    > well as the speakers system. Have tried all the players available.
    >
    > Is there a config file I need to tweak, or some system setting I'm
    > missing? CD's do play on the Fedora installation on my HP laptop. Any
    > help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray

    Open the 'mixer' and un-check 'mute'.
    Many distro's set the mixer muted by default.

    Also, linux REQUIRES a sound cable connected between
    your internal CD drive and the sound card, but Windows
    does not. Windows plays the CD directly (in software),
    but Linux relies on the sound card to play the CD (making
    the cable connection mandatory); I'm told that the cable
    requirement is due to the 'concurrent multi-user nature'
    of Linux, versus the 'single user nature' of Windows.
    Hardware is not my area of expertise, so 'take that with
    a grain of salt'.

    Regards,
    Larry

  3. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:48:08 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Ray Fortner wrote:
    >> Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    >> players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    >> When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    >> appears to be playing, but no sound.

    Both Totem and Xmms play CDs digitally without the cable, and perhaps
    Kaffeine does as well (haven't checked) Totem does it without
    configuration, with xmms you have to go into the preferences and tell it
    to play "digitally".

  4. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    maxo wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:48:08 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:
    >

    >>Ray Fortner wrote:
    >>
    >>>Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    >>>players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    >>>When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    >>>appears to be playing, but no sound.

    > Both Totem and Xmms play CDs digitally without the cable, and perhaps
    > Kaffeine does as well (haven't checked) Totem does it without
    > configuration, with xmms you have to go into the preferences and tell it
    > to play "digitally".

    thanks for the xmms tip

  5. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    Ray Fortner wrote:

    > Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    > players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    > When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    > appears to be playing, but no sound. Fedora recognizes the sound card,
    > plays system sounds just fine, and CDs play well under Windows on both
    > machines. Volume is up on both the Volume control applet and CD player, as
    > well as the speakers system. Have tried all the players available.
    >
    > Is there a config file I need to tweak, or some system setting I'm
    > missing? CD's do play on the Fedora installation on my HP laptop. Any
    > help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray

    Totally dumb question, but is your audio cable connected between the CD-ROM and sound card? Some
    apps will read the data from the CD directly and don't require this cable, but others do. I'm not
    sure which route the Windows or Linux apps take to play Audio CD's, but wouldn't hurt to verify this
    is conneted.

    FWIW,

    Alex.

  6. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:48:08 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Ray Fortner wrote:
    >> Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the
    >> CD players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4
    >> chip). When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and
    >> track, appears to be playing, but no sound. Fedora recognizes the
    >> sound card, plays system sounds just fine, and CDs play well under
    >> Windows on both machines. Volume is up on both the Volume control
    >> applet and CD player, as well as the speakers system. Have tried all
    >> the players available.
    >>
    >> Is there a config file I need to tweak, or some system setting I'm
    >> missing? CD's do play on the Fedora installation on my HP laptop. Any
    >> help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray

    > Open the 'mixer' and un-check 'mute'. Many distro's set the mixer muted
    > by default.
    >
    > Also, linux REQUIRES a sound cable connected between your internal CD
    > drive and the sound card, but Windows does not. Windows plays the CD
    > directly (in software), but Linux relies on the sound card to play the
    > CD (making the cable connection mandatory); I'm told that the cable
    > requirement is due to the 'concurrent multi-user nature' of Linux,
    > versus the 'single user nature' of Windows. Hardware is not my area of
    > expertise, so 'take that with a grain of salt'.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Larry

    Not exactly true. I have both a DVD reader and CD-RW on my Red Hat 9
    system, neither of which has an audio cable connection to the onboard
    sound. I can play audio CDs in the DVD reader but not in the CD-RW except
    via its headphone jack.

    (Perhaps there's a difference between onboard sound and a separate sound
    card in this regard.)

  7. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    Ray Fortner wrote:
    > Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    > players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    > When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    > appears to be playing, but no sound. Fedora recognizes the sound card,
    > plays system sounds just fine, and CDs play well under Windows on both
    > machines. Volume is up on both the Volume control applet and CD player, as
    > well as the speakers system. Have tried all the players available.
    >
    > Is there a config file I need to tweak, or some system setting I'm
    > missing? CD's do play on the Fedora installation on my HP laptop. Any
    > help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray

    type kmix (in a terminal such as konsole)
    then look for the cd mixer, its probably turned down or muted, easy
    enough to rectify, and when you exit your sesion the setting will remain

  8. Re: Can't get audio CD to play in Fedora

    Larry I Smith wrote:
    > Ray Fortner wrote:
    >
    >> Linux neophyte here. I can't seem to get the sound out of any of the CD
    >> players on my Compaq Presario (64-bit AMD chip) or Sony Vaio (P-4 chip).
    >> When I put an audio CD in, the player come up, id's the CD and track,
    >> appears to be playing, but no sound. Fedora recognizes the sound card,
    >> plays system sounds just fine, and CDs play well under Windows on both
    >> machines. Volume is up on both the Volume control applet and CD
    >> player, as
    >> well as the speakers system. Have tried all the players available.
    >>
    >> Is there a config file I need to tweak, or some system setting I'm
    >> missing? CD's do play on the Fedora installation on my HP laptop. Any
    >> help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray

    > Open the 'mixer' and un-check 'mute'.
    > Many distro's set the mixer muted by default.
    >
    > Also, linux REQUIRES a sound cable connected between
    > your internal CD drive and the sound card, but Windows
    > does not. Windows plays the CD directly (in software),
    > but Linux relies on the sound card to play the CD (making
    > the cable connection mandatory); I'm told that the cable
    > requirement is due to the 'concurrent multi-user nature'
    > of Linux, versus the 'single user nature' of Windows.
    > Hardware is not my area of expertise, so 'take that with
    > a grain of salt'.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Larry

    Windows does require a sound cable between the cdrom and the sound card,
    media player 9 does not, but windows does, so if you are thinking of
    having cd audio in windows games its something to bear in mind.

+ Reply to Thread