Creating a fstab entry for a floppy - Redhat

This is a discussion on Creating a fstab entry for a floppy - Redhat ; When I installed a new kernel for RH 9.0, it did not create a fstab entry for a floppy. How does one do that? Web Page: sierra_mtnview -at- earthlink -dot- net Imaginarium Museum:...

  1. Creating a fstab entry for a floppy

    When I installed a new kernel for RH 9.0, it did not create a fstab entry for a
    floppy. How does one do that?

    Web Page:
    sierra_mtnview -at- earthlink -dot- net
    Imaginarium Museum:

  2. Re: Creating a fstab entry for a floppy

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:13:05 +0000, W. Watson wrote:

    > When I installed a new kernel for RH 9.0, it did not create a fstab
    > entry for a floppy. How does one do that?

    Please read both 'man mount' and 'man fstab' for the details.

    You don't state if this floppy drive is internal or external (USB), but
    basically it's the same /etc/fstab line entry, as root using your choice
    of text editor add something like;

    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users 0 0

    (assuming a standard floppy type drive)

    /dev/sda /mnt/usbflpy auto noauto,users 0 0

    (assuming a USB external floppy)

    Just make sure that you have created the mountpoint(s) before attempting
    to mount the floppy drive(s), as root from the console or xterm session
    type something like 'mkdir /mnt/floppy' and/or 'mkdir /dev/usbflpy'
    without the quotes. Please note most 'USB drives' are seen as SCSI devices
    in Linux.

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  3. Re: Creating a fstab entry for a floppy

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:09:12 +0000, W. Watson wrote:

    > Internal floppy, 3.5", 1.44M. When I enter the mount command, I see no
    > entry for floppy, but when I vi/etc/fstab there is an entry. It's the
    > last one and looks like: /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users
    > 0 0

    The size of the floppy device does not really matter, it is important to
    know if it's internal or external (USB for example).

    > I have created /mnt/floppy. The boot trail before logging one shows a
    > floppy at /dev/fd0. I see no light come on for the floppy either during
    > boot or when I insert a floppy. When I attempt to use: mount /dev/fd0
    > /mnt/floppy, I get a not valid block device. If I used -t vfat it
    > doesn't know about vfat. I'm logged in as root.

    Try; mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

    Or try (since you already have the entry in fstab); mount /mnt/floppy

    Unlike Windows, Linux does not make the floppy LED come on when you insert
    a floopy disk, you should see the floppy LED illuminant during both
    mounting and writing operations. You should see the floppy drive LED
    illuminant briefly during the BIOS POST if it is in-fact enable in the
    BIOS in most cases. Check and make sure that both the power and floppy
    cables are properly connected to the floppy drive and that the floppy
    cable is connected properly to the motherboard/floppy controller. Maybe
    one end of the floppy cable got knocked loose/off or ???? It's also
    possible that the LED and/or floppy drive is bad.

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

+ Reply to Thread