Using label in fstab - Redhat

This is a discussion on Using label in fstab - Redhat ; Hi, I have been trying to mount scsi drives. The problem has been that the dev names keep changing when I add more scsi drives. I found the solution to that problem, use the LABEL=import instead of the /dev sda2 ...

  1. Using label in fstab

    Hi,
    I have been trying to mount scsi drives.
    The problem has been that the dev names keep changing when I add more scsi drives.

    I found the solution to that problem, use the LABEL=import instead of the /dev
    sda2 name and use e2label to give the drive with the import label.

    The problem now is:
    using RH8.0
    When I right click on the desktop and mount the device by clicking on the disk
    name the icon for the new device does not show up in the desktop. It gets
    mounted but there is no icon on the desktop. I have to use a command line umount
    command to unmount.

    My fstab entries are:

    /dev/sda2 /import auto noauto,user,rw,exec 0 0
    #LABEL=import /import auto noauto,user,rw,exec 0 0

    To show this I move the comment from one line to the other.

    Is this a redhat bug or a gnone bug or ??
    Does anyone else see this and does anyone have a fix.

    Al

  2. Re: Using label in fstab

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:59:48 GMT,
    alpinekid posted:

    > I have been trying to mount scsi drives.
    > The problem has been that the dev names keep changing when I add more scsi drives.
    >
    > I found the solution to that problem, use the LABEL=import instead of the /dev
    > sda2 name and use e2label to give the drive with the import label.
    >
    > The problem now is:
    > using RH8.0
    > When I right click on the desktop and mount the device by clicking on the disk
    > name the icon for the new device does not show up in the desktop. It gets
    > mounted but there is no icon on the desktop. I have to use a command line umount
    > command to unmount.
    >
    > My fstab entries are:
    >
    > /dev/sda2 /import auto noauto,user,rw,exec 0 0
    > #LABEL=import /import auto noauto,user,rw,exec 0 0

    Does it make any difference if you have it like this:

    LABEL=/import /import auto noauto,user,rw,exec 0 0

    (Note the slash in the label.) That's the way my fstab file originally
    referred to system partitions.

    --
    If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
    temporary). But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

    This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.

+ Reply to Thread