Primary partition - Redhat

This is a discussion on Primary partition - Redhat ; Ok, I'm trying to install Redhat 9. But, my computer won't let me create a primary partition! There is heaps of free space (20Gb), but it won't let me create a primary partition...its really driving me insane. So, until I ...

  1. Primary partition

    Ok, I'm trying to install Redhat 9. But, my computer won't let me create a
    primary partition! There is heaps of free space (20Gb), but it won't let me
    create a primary partition...its really driving me insane. So, until I get
    past this probelm, I can't even begin to setup redhat!!

  2. Re: Primary partition

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:40:28 +1200, Christian Gibbs wrote:

    > Ok, I'm trying to install Redhat 9. But, my computer won't let me create a
    > primary partition! There is heaps of free space (20Gb), but it won't let me
    > create a primary partition...its really driving me insane. So, until I get
    > past this probelm, I can't even begin to setup redhat!!

    How many drives do you have? How much total space (free + used) is on
    each one? What partitions (if any) are already on each one? How are
    you trying to create the new partition? What exactly does it tell you
    when you try?

    I'm not going to know the solution myself anyway (I'm a software jock),
    but I believe that answering the above questions will give others the
    information *they* need to determine what the solution is.

  3. Re: Primary partition

    In article , Ed Murphy wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:40:28 +1200, Christian Gibbs wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I'm trying to install Redhat 9. But, my computer won't let me create a
    >> primary partition! There is heaps of free space (20Gb), but it won't let me
    >> create a primary partition...its really driving me insane. So, until I get
    >> past this probelm, I can't even begin to setup redhat!!

    > http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > How many drives do you have? How much total space (free + used) is on
    > each one? What partitions (if any) are already on each one? How are
    > you trying to create the new partition? What exactly does it tell you
    > when you try?
    >
    > I'm not going to know the solution myself anyway (I'm a software jock),
    > but I believe that answering the above questions will give others the
    > information *they* need to determine what the solution is.

    Christian, are you aware you can only have 3-4 primary
    partitions when using the Messy-DOS-based partitioning
    scheme required for X86 machines? If you want more than 4
    partitions, you have to make the first three "primary" and
    the fourth "extended" and then make additional partitions
    _inside_ the fourth "extended" partition.

    I'm sure a little googling will find much more information
    on partitioning.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: Primary partition

    "Christian Gibbs" wrote in message news:...
    > Ok, I'm trying to install Redhat 9. But, my computer won't let me create a
    > primary partition! There is heaps of free space (20Gb), but it won't let me
    > create a primary partition...its really driving me insane. So, until I get
    > past this probelm, I can't even begin to setup redhat!!

    Sounds like you already have 4 primary partitions, which is the max.

+ Reply to Thread