Kill App option - Redhat

This is a discussion on Kill App option - Redhat ; Hi folks, I upgraded to RH9 and I'm wondering what happend to the nifty "kill app" option? I use to be able to right click on the close button and that will kill -9 the app. I could also right ...

  1. Kill App option

    Hi folks,

    I upgraded to RH9 and I'm wondering what happend to the nifty "kill
    app" option?

    I use to be able to right click on the close button and that will kill
    -9 the app. I could also right click on the indicator in the taskbar
    and have a "kill app" option. However it seems to be gone now. How
    do I get it back?

    Thanks,

    -Tom

  2. Re: Kill App option

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:39:26 -0700, Tom Cat wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I upgraded to RH9 and I'm wondering what happend to the nifty "kill
    > app" option?
    >
    > I use to be able to right click on the close button and that will kill
    > -9 the app. I could also right click on the indicator in the taskbar
    > and have a "kill app" option. However it seems to be gone now. How
    > do I get it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Tom

    do an alt+f2 and type in xkill, your gun is now armed

    or:

    right click on panel (Gnome) Add to Panel/Actions/Force Quit

  3. Re: Kill App option

    stry_cat@yahoo.com (Tom Cat) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I upgraded to RH9 and I'm wondering what happend to the nifty "kill
    > app" option?
    >
    > I use to be able to right click on the close button and that will kill
    > -9 the app. I could also right click on the indicator in the taskbar
    > and have a "kill app" option. However it seems to be gone now. How
    > do I get it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Tom

    Well, now it does it somewhat automatically. When you try to close a
    hung app, it will wait a while, trying to kill it properly. But after
    a few seconds, it gives up and prompts you if you want to kill the
    app.
    Not knowing for sure, I believe if you click a few times on the 'X',
    it should prompt you quicker.

    But a quick workaround that I personally like using - I put a launcher
    on the toolbar for 'xkill'. So that way, if I get a hung app, I just
    click on my xkill launcher, and click anywhere on the app I want dead.

    So to answer your question - I don't think you can get it back. But
    there are easy enough alternatives.

  4. Re: Kill App option

    alt_phil@yahoo.com (Phil) wrote in message news:<843bbf44.0404280719.6113cfb7@posting.google.com>...
    > stry_cat@yahoo.com (Tom Cat) wrote in message news:...
    >
    > Well, now it does it somewhat automatically. When you try to close a
    > hung app, it will wait a while, trying to kill it properly. But after
    > a few seconds, it gives up and prompts you if you want to kill the
    > app.
    > Not knowing for sure, I believe if you click a few times on the 'X',
    > it should prompt you quicker.

    I keep hearing about this, but I've never seen it. For some reason
    Xemacs decides to get hung (especially when I use tramp to access
    remote files). Clicking on the 'X' doesn't do anything. It just sits
    there.

    > But a quick workaround that I personally like using - I put a launcher
    > on the toolbar for 'xkill'. So that way, if I get a hung app, I just
    > click on my xkill launcher, and click anywhere on the app I want dead.

    This works! Thanks!

  5. Re: Kill App option

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:39:26 -0700, Tom Cat thoughtfully wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I upgraded to RH9 and I'm wondering what happend to the nifty "kill
    > app" option?
    >
    > I use to be able to right click on the close button and that will kill
    > -9 the app. I could also right click on the indicator in the taskbar
    > and have a "kill app" option. However it seems to be gone now. How
    > do I get it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Tom

    In FC1 if you try closing the window (x) of a stuck application you get
    a popup window stating the app is stuck do you want to force quit?

    Also in the terminal window you can killall -9 appname, ie, $ killall -9
    gmplayer.

+ Reply to Thread