Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find - Redhat

This is a discussion on Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find - Redhat ; Hi, I am using Red Hat 8.0. Can someone help know how to find the: =================================== "spindle speed of Hard disk in RPM". =================================== using the command hdparm as shown below $/sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda ---------------------------- returns || Timing buffer-cache ...

  1. Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find

    ===================================
    "spindle speed of Hard disk in RPM".
    ===================================

    using the command hdparm as shown below

    $/sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda
    ----------------------------
    returns
    || Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.33 seconds = 96.52 MB/sec
    || Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.04 seconds = 21.07 MB/sec

    This is not what I am looking for. Further, how do I avoid using
    /dev/hda, as I cannot be sure that it is hda or hdb or something else.

    Thanks and regards,
    Pankaj

  2. Re: Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find

    Pankaj Bhagat wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Red Hat 8.0.
    > Can someone help know how to find the:
    > ===================================
    > "spindle speed of Hard disk in RPM".
    > ===================================

    cat /proc/ide/hda/model
    Then google that model number.

    > This is not what I am looking for. Further, how do I avoid using
    > /dev/hda, as I cannot be sure that it is hda or hdb or something else.

    What on earth are you talking about?

    -WD

  3. Re: Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find

    Pankaj Bhagat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Red Hat 8.0.
    > Can someone help know how to find the:
    > ===================================
    > "spindle speed of Hard disk in RPM".
    > ===================================
    >
    > using the command hdparm as shown below
    >
    > $/sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda
    > ----------------------------
    > returns
    > || Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.33 seconds = 96.52 MB/sec
    > || Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.04 seconds = 21.07 MB/sec
    >
    > This is not what I am looking for.

    I have doubts that there is anything that can report what you are
    looking for. Spindle speed (revolutions per second) doesn't seem to be
    available to hdparm, and I don't know of any value stored in the /proc
    filesystem (i.e. under the /proc/ide/ide*/hd* tree) that gives you the
    rpm of the drive.

    > Further, how do I avoid using
    > /dev/hda, as I cannot be sure that it is hda or hdb or something else.

    No matter how you get the data, you'll need to specify /which/ drive you
    are looking at. Your hda may have a different rotational speed than your
    hdb, and thus there will not be a single /unqualified/ number to
    indicate the value. The value will have to be qualified by the drive you
    are checking.

    --

    Lew Pitcher, IT Consultant, Enterprise Application Architecture

  4. Re: Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:01:57 -0700, Pankaj Bhagat wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Red Hat 8.0.
    > Can someone help know how to find the:
    > ===================================
    > "spindle speed of Hard disk in RPM".
    > ===================================
    >
    > using the command hdparm as shown below
    >
    > $/sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda
    > ----------------------------
    > returns
    > || Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.33 seconds = 96.52 MB/sec
    > || Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.04 seconds = 21.07 MB/sec
    >
    > This is not what I am looking for. Further, how do I avoid using
    > /dev/hda, as I cannot be sure that it is hda or hdb or something else.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Pankaj

    You can read the drives id with smartctl, for example
    smartctl -a /dev/hda

    The you can do a look up on the manufacturer's website

  5. Re: Spindle speed of Hard Disk- How to find

    Pankaj Bhagat wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Red Hat 8.0.
    > Can someone help know how to find the:
    > "spindle speed of Hard disk in RPM".

    Why do you care what the spindle speed is?

    --

    Stu

+ Reply to Thread