Starting window locations on desktop - Redhat

This is a discussion on Starting window locations on desktop - Redhat ; Ive been looking around for an answer to this and have never found one yet. Hopefully someone here can help. What I notice is that all programs that start in a new window on the gnome desktop start in the ...

  1. Starting window locations on desktop

    Ive been looking around for an answer to this and have never found one
    yet. Hopefully someone here can help.

    What I notice is that all programs that start in a new window on the gnome
    desktop start in the upper left corner. What I would prefer is that they
    start in the middle or lower right. Where can I change this?????

    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

    jDeGraw

  2. Re: Starting window locations on desktop

    jDeGraw writes:

    >Ive been looking around for an answer to this and have never found one
    >yet. Hopefully someone here can help.
    >
    >What I notice is that all programs that start in a new window on the gnome
    >desktop start in the upper left corner. What I would prefer is that they
    >start in the middle or lower right. Where can I change this?????
    >

    >Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
    >
    >jDeGraw

    Use -geometry when starting the app.

    scott

  3. Re: Starting window locations on desktop

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:27:39 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > jDeGraw writes:
    >>

    >>Ive been looking around for an answer to this and have never found one
    >>yet. Hopefully someone here can help.
    >>
    >>What I notice is that all programs that start in a new window on the gnome
    >>desktop start in the upper left corner. What I would prefer is that they
    >>start in the middle or lower right. Where can I change this?????
    >>

    >>Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
    >>
    >>jDeGraw

    > Use -geometry when starting the app.
    >
    > scott

    Scott:

    First of all, Thank you for responding.

    I will look into that. Its a great suggestion. It would seem that there
    would be a setting somewhere for it. Somewhere in the graphical area?

    Oh well.

    thanks again

    --
    jDeGraw

  4. Re: Starting window locations on desktop

    jDeGraw writes:
    >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:27:39 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >> jDeGraw writes:
    >>>

    >>>Ive been looking around for an answer to this and have never found one
    >>>yet. Hopefully someone here can help.
    >>>
    >>>What I notice is that all programs that start in a new window on the gnome
    >>>desktop start in the upper left corner. What I would prefer is that they
    >>>start in the middle or lower right. Where can I change this?????
    >>>

    >>>Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
    >>>
    >>>jDeGraw

    >> Use -geometry when starting the app.
    >>
    >> scott

    >Scott:
    >
    >First of all, Thank you for responding.
    >
    >I will look into that. Its a great suggestion. It would seem that there
    >would be a setting somewhere for it. Somewhere in the graphical area?

    I personally don't use Gnome or KDE (or any other desktop), so I can't
    help you here. Typically, however, it is the window manager which
    handles geometry placement, so you may wish to investigate whichever
    window manager you are using.

    Most X11 applications support the -geometry option on the command line. I
    can't say that all GTK or QT applications will call the appropriate underlying
    X Toolkit functionality to support this however.

    With some window managers (e.g. TWM) you can specify window placement for
    individual applications or for classes of applications in the window manager
    configuration file.

    scott

  5. Re: Starting window locations on desktop

    In article , Scott Lurndal \
    wrote:

    > I personally don't use Gnome or KDE (or any other desktop), so I can't
    > help you here. Typically, however, it is the window manager which
    > handles geometry placement, so you may wish to investigate whichever
    > window manager you are using.
    >
    > Most X11 applications support the -geometry option on the command line. I
    > can't say that all GTK or QT applications will call the appropriate \
    > underlying
    > X Toolkit functionality to support this however.
    >
    > With some window managers (e.g. TWM) you can specify window placement for
    > individual applications or for classes of applications in the window manager
    > configuration file.

    Also, with normal X usage, a .Xdefaults or .Xresources file
    in one's home directory could specify geometry values for
    many types of windows. The hard part is figuring out what
    name and capitalization the application was looking for. I
    don't know whether Gnome and/or KDE supplant this
    mechanism. (I use MWM and used to use TWM.)

    For Mozilla, there's a source patch that gives a
    non-standard way for a user to specify where windows are
    created. I can't afford the time to make the patch
    acceptable for inclusion to the main Mozilla code stream.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net