Re: RH9 -> Fedora upgrade, compatibility, 3rd party sw - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: RH9 -> Fedora upgrade, compatibility, 3rd party sw - Redhat ; Hello, How about this questions, for anyone who knows. Can I install Fedora over an existing Red Hat 9.0 installation, without modifying existing disk partitions? I presume Fedora would just overwrite everything from things like kernel, shared libraries, all kinds ...

  1. Re: RH9 -> Fedora upgrade, compatibility, 3rd party sw

    Hello,

    How about this questions, for anyone who knows.

    Can I install Fedora over an existing Red Hat 9.0 installation,
    without modifying existing disk partitions?

    I presume Fedora would just overwrite everything from things like
    kernel, shared libraries, all kinds of /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and other
    executables, various config files in /etc and anywhere else.

    Right?
    Thanks!

    otis_usenet@yahoo.com (OtisUsenet) wrote in message news:<5606b639.0404091343.1149c306@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have RH 9.0 and am considering install Fedora.
    >
    > How compatible are these two?
    >
    > That is, what are the chances that the various third-party software
    > that I installed will continue working after I upgrade to Fedora?
    >
    > For instance:
    > - Oracle
    > - PostgreSQL
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Re: RH9 -> Fedora upgrade, compatibility, 3rd party sw

    "OtisUsenet" wrote in message
    news:5606b639.0404261451.1b9df707@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > How about this questions, for anyone who knows.
    >
    > Can I install Fedora over an existing Red Hat 9.0 installation,
    > without modifying existing disk partitions?

    Yep - I did it myself. I went the yum update path since I have a fast
    network connection. The upgrade process on
    http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~vschmi...redhat2fedora/ more or less
    worked as advertised, but for some reason yum didn't quite "go" for me at
    first, so I did an apt-get upgrade first, then a yum update, and then edited
    a few config files, and it all worked out fine.

    > I presume Fedora would just overwrite everything from things like
    > kernel, shared libraries, all kinds of /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and other
    > executables, various config files in /etc and anywhere else.

    More or less, yes. Never hurts to make a backup copy of /etc and possibly
    your http server files (if you're running a server) first.

+ Reply to Thread