X11 question - Redhat

This is a discussion on X11 question - Redhat ; Hi all, I have two machines facing the same X11 issue. First is a Debian 3.0 Woody - i686 machine with a static ip. If I get into terminal and do a xhost + host name it accepts it. Then ...

  1. X11 question

    Hi all,
    I have two machines facing the same X11 issue.
    First is a Debian 3.0 Woody - i686 machine with a static ip. If I get
    into terminal and do a xhost + host name it accepts it. Then I try ssh
    -X -l username hostname and it works fine. I can connect to the
    solaris machine and then I do a setenv DISPLAY myip:0.0. It accepts
    the same and then I start a X program in solaris it brings up
    Initializing X11 and then after a while it says.
    Initializing X11 error: Cant open DISPLAY my ipname:0.0
    The same error I get in Redhat 9 - i686 when I run xhost and start an
    X program from solaris. There is an other redhat 9 machine which works
    fine and pulls X programs in the same network from the solaris
    machine.
    Can you guys tell me what is going wrong here.
    I checked sshd_config and figured X11 Forwarding is set to yes.
    Thanks in advance,
    Murali.

  2. Re: X11 question

    mvenkataraman@hsc.wvu.edu (muralidharan) writes:
    >Hi all,
    >I have two machines facing the same X11 issue.
    >First is a Debian 3.0 Woody - i686 machine with a static ip. If I get
    >into terminal and do a xhost + host name it accepts it. Then I try ssh
    >-X -l username hostname and it works fine. I can connect to the
    >solaris machine and then I do a setenv DISPLAY myip:0.0. It accepts
    >the same and then I start a X program in solaris it brings up
    >Initializing X11 and then after a while it says.
    >Initializing X11 error: Cant open DISPLAY my ipname:0.0
    >The same error I get in Redhat 9 - i686 when I run xhost and start an
    >X program from solaris. There is an other redhat 9 machine which works
    >fine and pulls X programs in the same network from the solaris
    >machine.
    >Can you guys tell me what is going wrong here.
    >I checked sshd_config and figured X11 Forwarding is set to yes.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Murali.

    If you are using ssh with X11 forwarding you do not need to
    either 'xhost' on the linux side or 'setenv DISPLAY' on the
    solaris side. ssh will automatically set the DISPLAY variable
    on the solaris side for you when you log in (note that it will
    be something like 'localhost:10.0').

    If you aren't tunneling X11 through ssh, check your firewall settings.

    scott

+ Reply to Thread