Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication. - Redhat ; Hi, I am copying some files from my linux PC to a handset having linux installed. This I am doing using minicom. I also get a shell prompt on the handset via minicom terminal and can browse the directories on ...

  1. Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication.

    Hi,

    I am copying some files from my linux PC to a handset having linux
    installed. This I am doing using minicom. I also get a shell prompt on
    the handset via minicom terminal and can browse the directories on the
    handset. Is it possible to copy files from the handset to the PC. What
    are the prerequisite for any system to support uploading the files via
    serial port? I am able to run the sz command on the handset but I get
    the error "Got ZCAN". Any way in which I can copy files from the
    handset to my PC using serial communication.

    Thanks and cheers,

    ~Ajit

  2. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication.

    On 26 Apr 2004 10:06:47 -0700, Ajit Kamat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am copying some files from my linux PC to a handset having linux
    > installed. This I am doing using minicom. I also get a shell prompt on
    > the handset via minicom terminal and can browse the directories on the
    > handset. Is it possible to copy files from the handset to the PC. What
    > are the prerequisite for any system to support uploading the files via
    > serial port? I am able to run the sz command on the handset but I get
    > the error "Got ZCAN". Any way in which I can copy files from the
    > handset to my PC using serial communication.

    You either have to run rz on the receiving end before starting sz on
    sending end, or use a terminal client that can automatically receive
    zmodem files (I hear kermit mentioned, but have never used it).

  3. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication.

    David Efflandt wrote:

    > On 26 Apr 2004 10:06:47 -0700, Ajit Kamat wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am copying some files from my linux PC to a handset having linux
    >> installed. This I am doing using minicom. I also get a shell prompt on
    >> the handset via minicom terminal and can browse the directories on the
    >> handset. Is it possible to copy files from the handset to the PC. What
    >> are the prerequisite for any system to support uploading the files via
    >> serial port? I am able to run the sz command on the handset but I get
    >> the error "Got ZCAN". Any way in which I can copy files from the
    >> handset to my PC using serial communication.

    > You either have to run rz on the receiving end before starting sz on
    > sending end, or use a terminal client that can automatically receive
    > zmodem files (I hear kermit mentioned, but have never used it).

    Seyon supports error-checking protocols.

    --Rod

    __________

    Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
    and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
    http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

    To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

  4. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serialcommunication.

    efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:
    >On 26 Apr 2004 10:06:47 -0700, Ajit Kamat wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am copying some files from my linux PC to a handset having linux
    >> installed. This I am doing using minicom. I also get a shell prompt on
    >> the handset via minicom terminal and can browse the directories on the
    >> handset. Is it possible to copy files from the handset to the PC. What
    >> are the prerequisite for any system to support uploading the files via
    >> serial port? I am able to run the sz command on the handset but I get
    >> the error "Got ZCAN". Any way in which I can copy files from the
    >> handset to my PC using serial communication.

    >You either have to run rz on the receiving end before starting sz on

    That can't be done in that order. You must start sz at the
    distant end, and then start rz on the local side.

    >sending end, or use a terminal client that can automatically receive
    >zmodem files (I hear kermit mentioned, but have never used it).

    The minicom program he is using includes the zmodem protocol for
    both send and receive.

    It's been a _long_ time since I've done any file transfers using
    that method, and I have no idea what "Got ZCAN" means, and the
    man page for sz doesn't give a clue. I guess a search through
    the sources would be the way to find out...

    However, I do recall having all sorts of problems that varied
    from one host to another, with one program or another, and it
    always basically amounted to just trying different things until
    something worked. The first thing to start with is the use of
    xmodem-1k or ymodem rather than zmodem. With any of them, if a
    transfer can get started, and get at least a few packets sent,
    even if it then hangs at some point the significance is that the
    send end and the receive end can probably work together (and
    fooling with various other options will eventually lead to
    success).

    Frankly, I'd rather set up PPP, if possible.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  5. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication.

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > It's been a _long_ time since I've done any file transfers using

    Sigh...! -

    Anyways, Floyd, welcome back to daylight...!

    Cheers, Jack.

    My personal reading of the string "MicroSoft" expands to "NanoWeak"...

  6. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serialcommunication.

    jack wrote:

    >Anyways, Floyd, welcome back to daylight...!

    Are you kidding? It hasn't gotten dark enough to see stars here
    for quite awhile, and then you had to be up at 2 AM to see them.
    As of April 24th it is never getting darker than civil twilight.

    Like everywhere else, at the equinox we get 12 hours of day
    and 12 hours of night. So way back last March 19th, we were
    getting 12 hours of sunlight.

    If you're thinking in terms of when the sun came up after being
    down all winter, that happened back on January 24th.

    The next major event here comes in just a couple weeks, on April
    10, when the sun rises at 1:43 AM... because it won't be going
    back down until August 1st!

    That's a long day, for a night person... :-)

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  7. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication.

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > The next major event here comes in just a couple weeks, on April
    > 10, when the sun rises at 1:43 AM... because it won't be going
    > back down until August 1st!
    >
    > That's a long day, for a night person... :-)

    Don't take that personally, Floyd, but I love it when from time to time
    You describe the situation You're in...

    I never said that before...: Over here, we measure daylight in hours
    rather than months, but that's only because we're too lazy to look up
    the calendar... - Which obviously goes for You, as well: Over here,
    April 10 is just over a fortnight ago... But I never got the point with
    Gegorian calendars and stuff anyways.

    How about illuminated advertising over at Your's? - They're all broke by
    now, aren't they?

    OK, keep Your eyes shut, speak by Aug 2nd...

    [Again, _I_LOVE_IT_; when in OZ, they'd say "G'Day", but they said that
    every 24 hrs rather than every 365 days...]

    Sorry and Giddy, Jack.

    My personal reading of the string "MicroSoft" expands to "NanoWeak"...

  8. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serial communication.

    ajit_kamat@yahoo.com (Ajit Kamat) writes:

    ]Hi,

    ]I am copying some files from my linux PC to a handset having linux
    ]installed. This I am doing using minicom. I also get a shell prompt on
    ]the handset via minicom terminal and can browse the directories on the
    ]handset. Is it possible to copy files from the handset to the PC. What
    ]are the prerequisite for any system to support uploading the files via
    ]serial port? I am able to run the sz command on the handset but I get
    ]the error "Got ZCAN". Any way in which I can copy files from the
    ]handset to my PC using serial communication.

    ]Thanks and cheers,

    The best way would probably be to run ppp on the link. Use a null modem
    cable, and directly plug the serial ports together. Start up ppp on one
    of them with the passive option, which will wait for the other. they
    start up ppp on the other without the passive option and with
    10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2
    If you have full speed ports, use 11520 on each as the speed, and
    /dev/ttyS0 (I assume) as the device. If you have a full cable, use
    crtscts as well on both.

    Then you have a standard tcp connection which you can send whatever you
    want.

  9. Re: Howto copy files from a device to a PC using serialcommunication.

    jack wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> The next major event here comes in just a couple weeks, on April
    >> 10, when the sun rises at 1:43 AM... because it won't be going
    >> back down until August 1st!
    >> That's a long day, for a night person... :-)

    Typo alert: some dummy said April 10th, when obviously in two weeks
    it is going to be May 10th. Sorry about that.

    >Don't take that personally, Floyd, but I love it when from time to time
    >You describe the situation You're in...
    >
    >I never said that before...: Over here, we measure daylight in hours
    >rather than months, but that's only because we're too lazy to look up
    >the calendar... - Which obviously goes for You, as well: Over here,
    >April 10 is just over a fortnight ago... But I never got the point with
    >Gegorian calendars and stuff anyways.
    >
    >How about illuminated advertising over at Your's? - They're all broke by
    >now, aren't they?
    >
    >OK, keep Your eyes shut, speak by Aug 2nd...
    >
    >[Again, _I_LOVE_IT_; when in OZ, they'd say "G'Day", but they said that
    >every 24 hrs rather than every 365 days...]
    >
    >Sorry and Giddy, Jack.

    Well shucksh man, we do too. Days just are not necessarily
    delimited by when the sun is or isn't here, that's all!

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

+ Reply to Thread