Creating ZIP packages on the server for d-load? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Creating ZIP packages on the server for d-load? - Redhat ; I need to package a group of dynamically created files in PHP into one Zip file to be e-mailed to an individual. Now, I can easily use gzip, but the people it'll be sent to would completely freak out if ...

  1. Creating ZIP packages on the server for d-load?

    I need to package a group of dynamically created files in PHP into one
    Zip file to be e-mailed to an individual.
    Now, I can easily use gzip, but the people it'll be sent to would
    completely freak out if they received something with an "unusual"
    extension like .tar or .gz or something. And forget teaching them how
    to use WinRAR, even though it's easy.
    I have to default to using what they're comfortable with, and that's
    Zips.
    So, on a RedHat ES2.1, is there something (free preferably) that will
    package files into a .zip that can be unzipped by WinXP's built-in
    de/compressor or WinZip, or whatever? (It's going to be utilized by
    people using various Windows and Mac desktops.)
    Thanks!
    Liam

  2. Re: Creating ZIP packages on the server for d-load?

    deja@celticbear.com (LRW) wrote in message news:<3a1d1813.0404260740.73e14902@posting.google.com>...
    > I need to package a group of dynamically created files in PHP into one
    > Zip file to be e-mailed to an individual.
    > Now, I can easily use gzip, but the people it'll be sent to would
    > completely freak out if they received something with an "unusual"
    > extension like .tar or .gz or something. And forget teaching them how
    > to use WinRAR, even though it's easy.
    > I have to default to using what they're comfortable with, and that's
    > Zips.
    > So, on a RedHat ES2.1, is there something (free preferably) that will
    > package files into a .zip that can be unzipped by WinXP's built-in
    > de/compressor or WinZip, or whatever? (It's going to be utilized by
    > people using various Windows and Mac desktops.)
    > Thanks!
    > Liam

    WinZip handles *nix gzip'ed compressed files just fine, even tar.gz
    and .tgz. And for several releases now the menu/file associations
    added by WinZip include the above file extensions, etc. In fact,
    tar.gz is what I have to rename Konqueror's web .war files when
    sending them to Windows.

    The *nix vs dos line endings in text files is also handled quite
    nicely most of the time.

    Macs are another question. Not sure what you'll run into with older
    Mac OSes or what utilities are available.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  3. Re: Creating ZIP packages on the server for d-load?

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:57:06 -0700, P Gentry wrote:

    > deja@celticbear.com (LRW) wrote in message news:<3a1d1813.0404260740.73e14902@posting.google.com>...

    >> I need to package a group of dynamically created files in PHP into one
    >> Zip file to be e-mailed to an individual. Now, I can easily use gzip,
    >> but the people it'll be sent to would completely freak out if they
    >> received something with an "unusual" extension like .tar or .gz or
    >> something. And forget teaching them how to use WinRAR, even though it's
    >> easy. I have to default to using what they're comfortable with, and
    >> that's Zips.
    >> So, on a RedHat ES2.1, is there something (free preferably) that will
    >> package files into a .zip that can be unzipped by WinXP's built-in
    >> de/compressor or WinZip, or whatever? (It's going to be utilized by
    >> people using various Windows and Mac desktops.) Thanks!
    >> Liam

    > WinZip handles *nix gzip'ed compressed files just fine, even tar.gz and
    > .tgz. And for several releases now the menu/file associations added by
    > WinZip include the above file extensions, etc. In fact, tar.gz is what
    > I have to rename Konqueror's web .war files when sending them to
    > Windows.

    That doesn't address the freak-out factor. You can avoid that by
    using 'zip' from http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/

+ Reply to Thread