Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it. - Redhat ; Hello All: With Lewin and Gary's help, I'm now able to see what I'm doing on my Linux box-- they helped me with the screen resolution issue. The next thing is to bring up this computer on my home network. ...

  1. Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it.

    Hello All:

    With Lewin and Gary's help, I'm now able to see what I'm doing on my
    Linux box-- they helped me with the screen resolution issue.

    The next thing is to bring up this computer on my home network. I am
    intending to SSH to this computer through the network.

    My question is, which file do I edit to set up this computer for DHCP?
    I am running Linux Red Hat 7.2. I looked at the archives of Usenet
    groups, but could not find a relevant discussion.

    One thing I have to mention here is that this computer was previously
    set up to use a static IP address on a different home network.

    Once I set up the computer to use DHCP, how would I SSH to it without
    knowing its IP address? Can I use its name? I'm not sure what the
    name is now but I can find out.

    If it matters, the home network is set up using a Linksys Wireless-G
    broadband router. The Linux computer will be hooked up to one of the
    wired ports.

    Sam

    (Please post your replies here. My e-mail address is spam proofed.)

  2. Re: Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it.

    [Followups snipped severely.]

    In comp.os.linux.hardware S.V.Proff wrote:

    > With Lewin and Gary's help, I'm now able to see what I'm doing on my
    > Linux box-- they helped me with the screen resolution issue.
    >
    > The next thing is to bring up this computer on my home network. I am
    > intending to SSH to this computer through the network.
    >
    > My question is, which file do I edit to set up this computer for DHCP?
    > I am running Linux Red Hat 7.2. I looked at the archives of Usenet
    > groups, but could not find a relevant discussion.

    [...]

    With your habit of cross-posting to four newsgroups at once, which is
    about three too many, and an obvious abuse of netiquette, I'd say you
    were damned lucky to get any help at all.

    --
    Cheers, "Linux means never having to delete your love mail."
    Rick Moen -- Don Marti

  3. Re: Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it.

    Rick Moen wrote in message news:...
    [...]
    > > My question is, which file do I edit to set up this computer for DHCP?
    > > I am running Linux Red Hat 7.2. I looked at the archives of Usenet
    > > groups, but could not find a relevant discussion.

    > [...]
    >
    > With your habit of cross-posting to four newsgroups at once, which is
    > about three too many, and an obvious abuse of netiquette, I'd say you
    > were damned lucky to get any help at all.

    Pardon my ignorance. Why is crossposting abuse of netiquette? Where
    can I see a copy of this netiquette?

    Thanks,

    Sam

  4. Re: Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it.

    S.V.Proff wrote:
    > Pardon my ignorance. Why is crossposting abuse of netiquette? Where
    > can I see a copy of this netiquette?

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

    Or you could try a search engine, like dogpile.com.

  5. Re: Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it.

    S.V.Proff wrote:

    >> were damned lucky to get any help at all.

    > Pardon my ignorance. Why is crossposting abuse of netiquette? Where
    > can I see a copy of this netiquette?

    .... crossposting is frowned upon because it usually
    signals that the poster isnt thinking clearly about
    the issue. for example, if we look at the orig post,
    we see it's "which file do i set up for DHCP" and
    also mentions SSH.

    yet you posted to comp.os.linux.hardware - what in
    the world does any of that have to do with h/w?

    i'd also argue that either COLQ or COLH should have
    been excluded. or maybe both, and just leave it at
    COLR. worse case would have been COLR and one of
    COLQ or COLH.

    it's a shotgun effect - blast it out to a number
    of groups, hoping for something, when a rifle should
    have been used and the target sighted properly
    ..
    Afternoon, n.: That part of the day we spend
    worrying about how we wasted the morning.

  6. Re: Q: Setting up Linux Red Hat 7 2 for DHCP and SSH'ing to it.

    In article , S.V.Proff wrote:

    > Pardon my ignorance. Why is crossposting abuse of netiquette? Where
    > can I see a copy of this netiquette?

    While excessive cross-posting is frowned upon, multi-posting
    is even worse.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net