Building emacs for RedHat 9.0 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Building emacs for RedHat 9.0 - Redhat ; Hi, I downloaded emacs from the emacs project page, and I'm trying to build it for RH 9. I installed gcc and got emacs to compile, but it only works via the `-nw' switch, ie doesn't support the default window ...

  1. Building emacs for RedHat 9.0

    Hi,

    I downloaded emacs from the emacs project page, and I'm trying to
    build it for RH 9.

    I installed gcc and got emacs to compile, but it only works via the
    `-nw' switch, ie doesn't support the default window system which RH9
    uses (I guess that's bluecurve/gnome?). Can anyone tell me where to
    get the libraries I need to fix this, and where to put them/how to
    rebuild emacs to get around this problem, please? I am also wondering
    whether there are other libraries I need to get (besides bitmap ones),
    in order to get the normal functionality that emacs has (like on the
    emacs RPM which comes with RedHat).

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Building emacs for RedHat 9.0

    travisperkins03@hotmail.com (Travis Perkins) writes:

    > I installed gcc and got emacs to compile, but it only works via the
    > `-nw' switch, ie doesn't support the default window system which RH9
    > uses (I guess that's bluecurve/gnome?). Can anyone tell me where to
    > get the libraries I need to fix this, and where to put them/how to
    > rebuild emacs to get around this problem, please?

    After invoking "./configure", you should see a lot of output. This
    tells you whether it uses X11 or not and why.

    Also try "./configure --help" which tells you about the "--with-x"
    option that you might need.

    I don't know Redhat, maybe it provides extra packages needed for
    developing X11 programs. Install those.

    Kai

  3. Re: Building emacs for RedHat 9.0

    Kai Grossjohann wrote in message news:<87ekqd3ysb.fsf@emptyhost.emptydomain.de>...

    > After invoking "./configure", you should see a lot of output. This
    > tells you whether it uses X11 or not and why.
    >
    > Also try "./configure --help" which tells you about the "--with-x"
    > option that you might need.
    >
    > I don't know Redhat, maybe it provides extra packages needed for
    > developing X11 programs. Install those.

    Thanks - this is what I did indeed finally do. Prior to this I didn't
    even have gcc installed my my machine, so compiling emacs with X11
    support was a lot for me to learn.

    There is one thing I don't quite like though - `emacs -nw' appears to
    use only black and white now - I'm sure the colour sheme was different
    before. Still, that doesn't matter much, and I can probably figure
    that out if I really feel the need.

  4. Re: Building emacs for RedHat 9.0

    travisperkins03@hotmail.com (Travis Perkins) writes:

    > There is one thing I don't quite like though - `emacs -nw' appears to
    > use only black and white now - I'm sure the colour sheme was different
    > before. Still, that doesn't matter much, and I can probably figure
    > that out if I really feel the need.

    Emacs asks your terminal whether it supports color. Many terminals
    keep the color support secret. You could try "emacs --color".

    Kai

+ Reply to Thread