PCI bios - system does not support PCI - Redhat

This is a discussion on PCI bios - system does not support PCI - Redhat ; Hi, I have a Pentium-s running Linux distribution redhat 8.0. The motherboard has both isa and pci slots. The isa bus has a network card and a ide/floppy/serial etc card. The graphic card is a diamond stealth 64dram plugged into ...

  1. PCI bios - system does not support PCI

    Hi,
    I have a Pentium-s running Linux distribution redhat 8.0.
    The motherboard has both isa and pci slots.
    The isa bus has a network card and a ide/floppy/serial etc card.

    The graphic card is a diamond stealth 64dram plugged into the pci bus.
    It is the only card that is pci.

    The command line text appears on the display just fine but I can not
    start X. It fails saying it can not find a screen.

    After much messing around with XF86Config, moving cards to different
    slots etc
    I notice in the dmesg messages from bootup that I think indicates the
    problem.
    PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfc6e0, last bus=0
    PCI: System does not support PCI

    What does this mean? The graphic card in plugged into a pci slot and
    I get text on the screen.

    I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

    Can anyone give me any ideas?
    Al

  2. Re: PCI bios - system does not support PCI

    alpinekid wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have a Pentium-s running Linux distribution redhat 8.0.
    > The motherboard has both isa and pci slots.
    > The isa bus has a network card and a ide/floppy/serial etc card.
    >
    > The graphic card is a diamond stealth 64dram plugged into the pci bus.
    > It is the only card that is pci.
    >
    > The command line text appears on the display just fine but I can not
    > start X. It fails saying it can not find a screen.
    >
    > After much messing around with XF86Config, moving cards to different
    > slots etc
    > I notice in the dmesg messages from bootup that I think indicates the
    > problem.
    > PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfc6e0, last bus=0
    > PCI: System does not support PCI
    >

    > What does this mean? The graphic card in plugged into a pci slot and
    > I get text on the screen.
    >
    > I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any ideas?
    > Al

    Since no one else has responded ...

    Three pieces of vital info needed:
    1) what is the make/model of your motherboard?
    2) what is the make/model and revision # of your BIOS
    3) What is the exact make/model of your video card

    And due to the diminished functioning of my brain cells, remind me of
    the particulars of what a pentium-s is. (never mind -- Google
    reminded me. Which one, what speed do you have?) How much ram
    installed? What is your boot loader? Have you successfully run any
    other distro/version of Linux on this box? Windows? Is this a
    new/fresh install? No updates applied (there are a bunch for RH8)?

    Complete dmesg output (or at least more to give us context) would be
    useful as would the output of:
    $ cat /proc/pci

    Compared to my box, yours is old, indeed. IIRC, some of these earlier
    pci mobos and cards could produce flakey results under the right
    conditions -- these were the days when MS was still pushing P-N-P as
    pci was replacing it. Some card makers took short cuts trying to
    support both architectures. And P-N-P never has/did work well with
    Linux.

    With luck, you may be able to flash a bios upgrade that will help.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

+ Reply to Thread