headless fedora server powers down at random times - Redhat

This is a discussion on headless fedora server powers down at random times - Redhat ; My headless fedora server powers down at random times. * I see no evidence in my apartment of a power failure * Server is on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) anyway * nothing notable in /var/log/messages * I've removed the ...

  1. headless fedora server powers down at random times

    My headless fedora server powers down at random times.

    * I see no evidence in my apartment of a power failure
    * Server is on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) anyway
    * nothing notable in /var/log/messages
    * I've removed the 'apmd' package
    * ACPI seems to be disabled, according to dmesg output

    Any other ideas as far as what might me causing it to power down?

    Does it matter that the box is headless (has no CRT attached)?

    Is there a way to turn on more debugging output to possibly see what
    happens right before it shuts down?

    Thank you,
    -Adam

  2. Re: headless fedora server powers down at random times

    adamm@wazamatta.com (Adam Monsen) wrote in message news:<9b12ed8d.0404231014.421bab61@posting.google.com>...
    > My headless fedora server powers down at random times.
    >
    > * I see no evidence in my apartment of a power failure
    > * Server is on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) anyway
    > * nothing notable in /var/log/messages
    > * I've removed the 'apmd' package
    > * ACPI seems to be disabled, according to dmesg output
    >
    > Any other ideas as far as what might me causing it to power down?
    >
    > Does it matter that the box is headless (has no CRT attached)?
    >
    > Is there a way to turn on more debugging output to possibly see what
    > happens right before it shuts down?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > -Adam

    Your Linux box is headless and so are we ;-(

    What services are running on the server? What's your aim with your
    setup? Make of UPS? UPS software used? USB? What clues from the
    UPS box itself? Auto-reboot properly set up? What, if any, monitors
    are you running? Just depending on syslog facilities? Webmin?
    Homebrew?

    Point is, we don't begin to have enough info for anything more than
    guessing -- and I'm guessing your guesses are better than ours.

    All I can offer is this for a start:
    http://www.geniusweb.com/LDP/HOWTO/U...73.html#AEN112
    http://us2.networkupstools.org/
    http://www2.apcupsd.com/

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  3. Re: headless fedora server powers down at random times

    Before I begin my reply, I just wanted to say that you've already
    helped me locate the problem!

    Up to this point I was thinking: Fedora problem (since it just started
    happening after the Redhat 9 -> Fedora Core 1 upgrade) hence the post
    to comp.os.linux.redhat. I hadn't suspected the UPS for some strange
    reason, and after all your UPS-related questions, I went ahead and
    tested the UPS to see if it would still power the computer if I
    unplugged the UPS from the wall. It couldn't. So, there we go, I
    guess: bad UPS.

    rdgentry1@cablelynx.com (P Gentry) wrote in message news:...
    > adamm@wazamatta.com (Adam Monsen) wrote in message news:<9b12ed8d.0404231014.421bab61@posting.google.com>...
    > > My headless fedora server powers down at random times.
    > >
    > > * I see no evidence in my apartment of a power failure
    > > * Server is on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) anyway
    > > * nothing notable in /var/log/messages
    > > * I've removed the 'apmd' package
    > > * ACPI seems to be disabled, according to dmesg output
    > >
    > > Any other ideas as far as what might me causing it to power down?
    > >
    > > Does it matter that the box is headless (has no CRT attached)?
    > >
    > > Is there a way to turn on more debugging output to possibly see what
    > > happens right before it shuts down?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > -Adam

    > Your Linux box is headless and so are we ;-(
    >
    > What services are running on the server?

    samba, apache, at, crond, cvs pserver, imap, imaps, sendmail, mysql,
    among others

    > What's your aim with your setup?

    Basically, it's my file storage box (it has a big HD) and my email
    box. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

    > Make of UPS?

    APC Back-UPS 650 ... http://snipurl.com/ups650

    Based on your questions it sounds like you think I have a formidable
    server with a large UPS (which is understandable given the level of
    detail I provided). Well, it's really just a 400 Mhz Pentium II
    desktop in my closet without a CRT. The UPS is really just big enough
    for a desktop or very small server.

    > UPS software used?

    None; I just plug the computer into the UPS and plug the UPS into the
    wall.

    > USB?

    What?

    > What clues from the UPS box itself?

    Well, I guess since it can't hold much of a charge, it's probably
    kaput/hosed/fubar.

    > Auto-reboot properly set up?

    What?

    > What, if any, monitors are you running?

    Not exactly sure what you mean... I usually just use 'logwatch'
    results mailed to root (interesting stuff from various system logs).

    > Just depending on syslog facilities?

    Yes.

    > Webmin?

    No.

    > Homebrew?

    Yes, but it's really just a vanilla Fedora Core 1 install, updated to
    the latest packages thanks to apt-get.

    > Point is, we don't begin to have enough info for anything more than
    > guessing -- and I'm guessing your guesses are better than ours.
    >
    > All I can offer is this for a start:
    > http://www.geniusweb.com/LDP/HOWTO/U...73.html#AEN112
    > http://us2.networkupstools.org/
    > http://www2.apcupsd.com/
    >
    > hth,

    It did! Thank you! Good to know that I can't count on that UPS
    anymore.

    > prg
    > email above disabled

    FEDORA VS. UPS: