getting linker errors when installing glibc - Redhat

This is a discussion on getting linker errors when installing glibc - Redhat ; Trying to compile on Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2. Downloaded glibc 2.3.2 and linuxthreads 2.3.2 from gnu.org. >> ../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons --with-tls (if I don't use --with-tls here, I get "libc.so.6 cannot handle TLS data" when I try ...

  1. getting linker errors when installing glibc

    Trying to compile on Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2.

    Downloaded glibc 2.3.2 and linuxthreads 2.3.2 from gnu.org.

    >> ../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons --with-tls

    (if I don't use --with-tls here, I get "libc.so.6 cannot handle TLS
    data" when I try to make install.)

    "make"s fine. when I try to make install, I get the following:

    linuxthreads/libpthread.so: undefined reference to '_h_errno'

    I'm overlooking something here. However, I couldn't find something
    relevant on the FAQ/Install pages or in Google. Any help would be
    appreciated,

    Thanks.

  2. Re: getting linker errors when installing glibc

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:39:35 -0700, Ozgun thoughtfully wrote:

    > Trying to compile on Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2.
    >
    > Downloaded glibc 2.3.2 and linuxthreads 2.3.2 from gnu.org.
    >
    >>> ../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons --with-tls

    > (if I don't use --with-tls here, I get "libc.so.6 cannot handle TLS
    > data" when I try to make install.)
    >
    > "make"s fine. when I try to make install, I get the following:
    >
    > linuxthreads/libpthread.so: undefined reference to '_h_errno'
    >
    > I'm overlooking something here. However, I couldn't find something
    > relevant on the FAQ/Install pages or in Google. Any help would be
    > appreciated,
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't know what you're doing but I'd try the install with the non-TLS
    version to see if that works. Could be you're using the wrong library
    version containing " lbpthread.so" or it's in the wrong path.

  3. Re: getting linker errors when installing glibc

    > I don't know what you're doing but I'd try the install with the non-TLS
    > version to see if that works. Could be you're using the wrong library
    > version containing " lbpthread.so" or it's in the wrong path.

    with the non-TLS version, I get "libc.so.6 cannot handle TLS data"
    when I try to make install. I was reading the announcement for glibc
    2.3, and it says:

    :: Even though TLS support is mentioned as one new feature for this
    release
    the default is not to build glibc with TLS support enabled. This has
    several reasons, most of which are out of control of the glibc
    developers. Therefore it is necessry to *not* use the --with-tls
    option
    for configure. ::

    I don't get this, if we aren't supposed to use --with-tls, why is it
    there? Fedora's default libc.so has tls enabled (I'm just guessing
    this from libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6), and I think that's why I
    need to configure --with-tls too. Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread