Re: Dual Boot Question - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: Dual Boot Question - Redhat ; Ultra wrote: > johnny bobby bee wrote: > >>> Hello, >>> I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software >>> that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the >>> existing Windows OS. I ...

  1. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Ultra wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Is there a tool/software
    >>> that allows me to partition the internal disk without destroying the
    >>> existing Windows OS. I would like to install Redhat 9 on the second
    >>> partition. Thanks for your suggestions.

    > Use Partition Magic
    >
    >> doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?

    > It does (as long as I remember)
    >
    >> i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    >> just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    >> install.

    Try partition magic, it works great, and stable. I have use it on
    multiple occassions without any problems

  2. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Roger wrote in message news:...
    > Ultra wrote:

    > > Use Partition Magic
    > >
    > >> doesn't the redhat 9 install disk allow you to resize your XP partition?

    > > It does (as long as I remember)
    > >
    > >> i thought it did? if not, try mandrake, i know it can resize NTFS.
    > >> just be sure to run 'defrag' on the winXP box before you attempt the
    > >> install.
    > >>

    > Try partition magic, it works great, and stable. I have use it on
    > multiple occassions without any problems

    I know with Debian you can dual boot---Just read a howto(LILO!!)--If
    you got the latest Woody release, once you can boot up debian, you can
    edit your lilo (boot loader) file by reading a howto(Just look at
    debian.org)

    Esher2292

  3. Re: Dual Boot Question

    Whatever you end up doing, there is a little trick that can help restor
    a boot record for Windows even after it has been written to by Linux.
    Get a Win98 boot disk (or similiar, you can find images a
    'bootdisk.com') and boot your machine with it. When it finally arrive
    at the 'a:' prompt, you type this command;

    fdisk /mbr

    And it will rewrite the Win boot record, very handy when you think yo
    have lost everything.

    Fwiw, I run Win2k Pro (ntfs) and RH9 as a dual boot on my work laptop
    I used the Partition Magic method.

    Henry

    -
    cha