Server respone very very late - Redhat

This is a discussion on Server respone very very late - Redhat ; Hi there, I have configured a Linux Redhat8.0 box. This has two network cards dealing with two different domains. Now the problems is this when some body try to login it takes so much time to authenticate. This happen with ...

  1. Server respone very very late

    Hi there,

    I have configured a Linux Redhat8.0 box.
    This has two network cards dealing with
    two different domains. Now the problems
    is this when some body try to login it
    takes so much time to authenticate.
    This happen with all services like FTP, TELNET,
    RLOGIN, SSH, etc. Server also response very slow
    to some other services.There is no error message in
    /var/log/message.
    any idea? What would be the problem?.

    Thanks
    Khan

  2. Re: Server respone very very late

    To me, it sounds like name lookup or routing. Likely name lookup if
    it's affecting all those services. Likely the box is trying to do a
    reverse lookup on the ip connecting and taking all that time to do so.

    Check your /etc/resolv.conf, make sure the first nameserver listed
    works fine.
    If your name resolution is working just fine, then I would guess you
    need to check your routing. Make sure that the default route is on
    the device you want.

    khalid418@yahoo.com (Khan) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have configured a Linux Redhat8.0 box.
    > This has two network cards dealing with
    > two different domains. Now the problems
    > is this when some body try to login it
    > takes so much time to authenticate.
    > This happen with all services like FTP, TELNET,
    > RLOGIN, SSH, etc. Server also response very slow
    > to some other services.There is no error message in
    > /var/log/message.
    > any idea? What would be the problem?.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Khan