Forcing Redhat 9 installer to use 'lower' architecture (i686)? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Forcing Redhat 9 installer to use 'lower' architecture (i686)? - Redhat ; A while ago, I installed Redhat9 on an AMD XP1700+ system, on a meager 13GB ATA/66 hard-drive. After installation completed, I moved the hard drive to an Intel Pentium3/1GHz system. The Redhat9 partition refused to boot. The PC would freeze ...

  1. Forcing Redhat 9 installer to use 'lower' architecture (i686)?

    A while ago, I installed Redhat9 on an AMD XP1700+ system,
    on a meager 13GB ATA/66 hard-drive.

    After installation completed, I moved the hard drive to
    an Intel Pentium3/1GHz system. The Redhat9 partition
    refused to boot. The PC would freeze after touching the
    hard-drive (I assume it made it to the 'bootloader' and
    died.)

    I stratched my head for a very long time. I went back to
    the XP1700+ system, where the same drive booted flawlessly,
    and I could login. I re-ran GRUB, made a floppy boot-disk,
    did everything I could think of. But all failures, that
    Redhat9 installation simply wouldn't work in my Pentium3/1GHz.

    Much later, I downloaded some kernel-updates (RPMs) from
    ftp.redhat.com. I wasn't really thinking, so I downloaded
    the 'i686' binary-distribution (which is also compatible with
    the AMD-Athlon.)

    After I installed the new kernel files, the updated Redhat9
    installation started working in my Pentium3 box.

    I'm not too bright when it comes to Linux stuff, but I
    hypothesize that the Redhat9 installation procedure 'auto-detects'
    the running platform, and alters the binary-installation to
    best-suit that platform. In other words, the Redhat9 installer
    recognized my Athlon-XP, and decided to install AMD K7 specific
    binaries on the system (making it unbootable to non-K7 systems.)
    Is this remotely correct?!?

    My question is ... if that's what is happening, how can I
    defeat this behavior? I want to *force* the installer to
    use i686 binaries (Pentium-Pro), that way I can use the
    completed-installation on any machine.

  2. Re: Forcing Redhat 9 installer to use 'lower' architecture (i686)?

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:26:44 +0000, Helpm wrote:

    > My question is ... if that's what is happening, how can I defeat this
    > behavior? I want to *force* the installer to use i686 binaries
    > (Pentium-Pro), that way I can use the completed-installation on any
    > machine.

    Then use the i386 binaries and not the i686 binaries, this way you can use
    the kernel on any x86 CPU system (386, 486, 586, 686, athlon etc).

    For a while Red Hat was creating kernel binaries specifically for the
    Athlon family of CPU's, they since stopped this.

    If you still have the older kernel installed you can verify this with;

    rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' kernel

    Just install RHL9 by typing 'linux noathlon' at the Installation Menu
    Screen.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author