Monitoring disk writes - Redhat

This is a discussion on Monitoring disk writes - Redhat ; Is there a /proc file which will tell me how many times a partition has been written to (or had cache flushed to that partition)? If so, how would I interpret the entries? I'm looking to discover how often a ...

  1. Monitoring disk writes

    Is there a /proc file which will tell me how many times a partition has
    been written to (or had cache flushed to that partition)? If so, how
    would I interpret the entries?

    I'm looking to discover how often a flash file system is being written to,
    and writes (minimizing them) is critical.

    Thanks, Neall

    PS: I have no X gui installed on this system, so can't use the
    traditional gui-based disk-io monitoring tools. Maybe someone could
    suggest a text/ncurses version? TIA.

  2. Re: Monitoring disk writes

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 at 7:38pm, Linux Doctor ...:

    > Is there a /proc file which will tell me how many times a partition has
    > been written to (or had cache flushed to that partition)? If so, how
    > would I interpret the entries?
    >
    > I'm looking to discover how often a flash file system is being written to,
    > and writes (minimizing them) is critical.
    >
    > Thanks, Neall
    >
    > PS: I have no X gui installed on this system, so can't use the
    > traditional gui-based disk-io monitoring tools. Maybe someone could
    > suggest a text/ncurses version? TIA.

    Answered my own question after some research. Atsar did the trick. Neall

+ Reply to Thread