Installation Error - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installation Error - Redhat ; Hello all, This error message appears whenever I try to install RedHat 9 (Shrike): "isolinux: Disk error 01, AX=4251, Drive 9F". It happens after the following sequence: booting CD1, pressing ENTER on the first menu (when choosing F1, F2,... install ...

  1. Installation Error

    Hello all,
    This error message appears whenever I try to install RedHat 9
    (Shrike): "isolinux: Disk error 01, AX=4251, Drive 9F". It happens
    after the following sequence: booting CD1, pressing ENTER on the first
    menu (when choosing F1, F2,... install options), then waiting for
    vmlinuz to appear and complete, then initrd appears, and instead of
    completing I see this message.

    The system is a PIII450 Intel processor, on an Intel Seattle SE440BX-2
    (4S4EB2X0.86A.0018.P11) motherboard. The bios is Phoneix 4.0, release
    6.0 (1999). There is 128MB RAM in two 64MB chips. To the board I have
    attached a Maxtor 60GB hard drive (6Y060l0, DiamondMax 9 ATA133). The
    hard drive is configured at Cable Select and identified as a primary
    master.
    I dont think I have exceeded the maximum LBA capacity of the board as
    when I open the relevant menu in the bios setup, it says: "maximum
    capacity is ~61000 MB. The hard drive is at ~58000 MB, it formats
    correctly with Partition Magic 8 and I can see all it's space. There
    also is a CD: LG52X (CRD-8255B) configured as a secondary master.
    I am trying to add another operating system to this computer. In the
    last 2-3 years this system ran Widows2000 workstation and was used as
    a file server in a 3 PC network.

    What may be the problem? Why cant I install Linux here?
    Thanks in advance,
    Max.

  2. Re: Installation Error

    Radagast wrote:
    > hard drive is configured at Cable Select and identified as a primary
    > master.

    Try using the jumpers to set this drive as master. Cable
    select is not entirely reliable...

  3. Re: Installation Error

    "Kevin D. Snodgrass" wrote in message news:<407FF82F.6060809@spamcop.net>...
    > Radagast wrote:
    > > hard drive is configured at Cable Select and identified as a primary
    > > master.

    > Try using the jumpers to set this drive as master. Cable
    > select is not entirely reliable...

    I should have added this test to my first message, I did that but to
    no avail. I think there is some more in that...

+ Reply to Thread