What's the state of Fedora? - Redhat

This is a discussion on What's the state of Fedora? - Redhat ; Hi all, I'm a long time Red Hat user, starting with RH 5.0 many moons ago. When Fedora Core 1 was released (after RH pulled from the public limelight), I downloaded and tried it on two of my systems. The ...

  1. What's the state of Fedora?

    Hi all,

    I'm a long time Red Hat user, starting with RH 5.0 many moons ago. When Fedora
    Core 1 was released (after RH pulled from the public limelight), I downloaded
    and tried it on two of my systems. The first was my Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop,
    which was already running Red Hat 9.0. Fedora didn't pickup the PCMCIA
    controller (so no NIC or Modem) or sound. This stinks since I always do a
    network NFS install. After about a week of working with recompiling kernel
    modules and trying various drivers, no go on either. Switched to Slackware 9.1
    where all worked 100% outta the box.

    I then tried Fedora on my desktop which is a homebuilt system, and again, it
    acted very quarky after installing plus no sound either. I worked with ALSA and
    upgrading to the 2.6 kernel trying to get sound going, but nothing. The system
    is a dual-1Ghz system with 1 Gig of RAM, but it ran very slow for some reason.
    I've since switched this system to Slackware 9.1 as well. My server, which runs
    Red Hat 7.1, I didn't mess with Fedora on since it's a 486 (runs great, so no
    need to upgrade really).

    I'm hoping Fedora Core 2 Final will fix the pesky problems. I really like
    Slackware now that I've used it for 6 months or so, but I like what Red Hat (now
    Fedora) has to offer in their OS. If the next release of Fedora works as well
    as Red Hat 9 and below, I'll definately migrate back to Fedora.

    Just curious if anyone else is in this boat or if anyone knows if Fedora Core 2
    will fix any of the hardware detection/driver problems since it'll have 2.6
    kernel outta the box.

    Thanks and take care,

    Alex.

  2. Re: What's the state of Fedora?

    Alex wrote in message news:...
    > Just curious if anyone else is in this boat or if anyone knows if Fedora Core 2
    > will fix any of the hardware detection/driver problems since it'll have 2.6
    > kernel outta the box.

    Hey Alex,

    I just updated my RH9 system to FC1, and although a couple of things
    broke due to newer versions (Squid, sshd, stuff like that) it just
    took minor editing of the conf files to merge in the changes. My older
    nic was not supported but a $6 generic nic did the trick. Sound
    doesn't work, but I've got an acient PC with onbord "SoundBlaster
    compatible" sound, and sound's off anyway. Overall I find the kernel a
    tad faster and far better at memory management, and it's nice to be
    running more current releases of everything.

    Maybe you should give FC1 a try again - or just hold out for FC2 - but
    I'd give it another go.

    I'm in good shape now for FC2 - hopefully it will be a clean upgrade
    from FC1.

+ Reply to Thread