firewire drive mount as user with menu ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on firewire drive mount as user with menu ? - Redhat ; Hello all.. I trying to mount a firewire drive under fedora core 1. I have re-run the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script and that has found the drive ok. I also have a usb camera which I somehow managed to setup a while ...

  1. firewire drive mount as user with menu ?

    Hello all..

    I trying to mount a firewire drive under fedora core 1. I have re-run the
    rescan-scsi-bus.sh script and that has found the drive ok. I also have a
    usb camera which I somehow managed to setup a while back and that mounts
    to /dev/sda1 using :-

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,defaults 0 0

    from fstab

    The usb camera smartcard has a menu entry called usb when I right
    click on the gnome desktop to open it. Problem is the firewire drive has
    configured itself on sda1 also when the camera is not present and I am not
    sure how to give each device a unique id. Also how can I get a menu
    entry for the fire wire drive (and still keep the usb entry for the
    camera) so I can right click on the gnome gui and open the drive with full
    user access ?

    Still quite new to linux but learning all the time

    David

  2. Re: firewire drive mount as user with menu ?

    One other point. I plugged the usb camera in and the firewire drive at the
    same time and re-ran the scan-scsi-bus.sh scrpit and this seems to
    allocate sda1 and sdb1, great I thought but then the firewire would
    not open and somehow disappeared on the next reboot. It only seems happy
    and opens if the camera is not present.

    Think I have fixed the read write access problem. I don't mind if I can
    only have the usb camera in or the firewire at anyone time. No big deal to
    me so a single entry in fstab that can cater for both ? ie :-

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbfire auto noauto,user 0 0

    would this work for both a usb camera drive as fat I think and the
    firewire drive as ext2 ?

    David

  3. Re: firewire drive mount as user with menu ?

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:52:07 +0000, swamp wrote:

    Sorry for the long winded post. On some reboots the drive is no longer
    available and re-running the scan-scsi script it does not find it ???

    Now I am confused. Roll on core 2. I understand hot plugging has been
    improved ?

    david

+ Reply to Thread