XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5 - Redhat

This is a discussion on XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5 - Redhat ; I post here a warning to keep you out of trouble if you borrow a windows-bound computer under construction to tinker with rhel5 for a bit; know that you may need to do a dd to zero out the rhel5 ...

  1. XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5

    I post here a warning to keep you out of trouble if you
    borrow a windows-bound computer under construction
    to tinker with rhel5 for a bit; know that you may need to
    do a dd to zero out the rhel5 before XP can install on it.
    ....Easy to do, but surprising that you should even have to.

    This was a tedious situation to debug; I replaced every part
    in the computer before guessing the hard disk {or prior disk
    contents}as the culprit. I could hardly believe it,
    and swapped a factory-fresh HD of the same
    model back into play to confirm it was indeed the case.

    I'd built up a new computer, intending to load xp/pro sp2,
    but thought I'd play around with rhel5 Server for a few
    days first. To my surprise, the XP install seemed unable
    to cope with the rhel, and to get past this I had to boot up
    in RedHat and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=100
    { I did it in runlevel 1 after umounting /boot and /, but doubt this
    is required. /dev/sda because this MSI PM8PM-V board
    and 80 gig WD WD800JD disk treat sata as sda instead of hda
    under linux.} I had put the grub loader in sda instead of in sda1.
    Oh, and this was a 3ghz P4 model 631 cpu...

    The last message XP install prints before black screen is
    "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

    Using a pci vga card didn't help. The keyboard numlock/caps lock
    leds still toggled ok after the problem kicked in, and control-alt-delete
    caused a normal reboot, so the xp install was only 'mostly dead'... :-)

  2. Re: XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:15:31 -0600, Frank Winans wrote:

    > I post here a warning to keep you out of trouble if you borrow a
    > windows-bound computer under construction to tinker with rhel5 for a
    > bit; know that you may need to do a dd to zero out the rhel5 before
    > XP can install on it. ...Easy to do, but surprising that you should even
    > have to.

    Windows disk partitioning during install is notorious for assuming the
    only OS that will ever be installed on any hard drive will be Windows.

    Use fdisk to completely destroy and recreate the partition table of any
    drive you intend to install Windows on if it's ever had anything but
    Windows on it.

  3. Re: XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5

    "Frank Winans" wrote in message
    >I post here a warning to keep you out of trouble if you
    > borrow a windows-bound computer under construction
    > to tinker with rhel5 for a bit; know that you may need to
    > do a dd to zero out the rhel5 before XP can install on it.
    > ...Easy to do, but surprising that you should even have to.
    >
    > This was a tedious situation to debug; I replaced every part
    > in the computer before guessing the hard disk {or prior disk
    > contents}as the culprit. I could hardly believe it,
    > and swapped a factory-fresh HD of the same
    > model back into play to confirm it was indeed the case.

    All you really needed to do is to repartition the HDD during installation of
    XP , which is what would be the normal thing to do when you go to change and
    install another OS on a HDD.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  4. Re: XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5

    Frank Winans wrote:
    > I post here a warning to keep you out of trouble if you
    > borrow a windows-bound computer under construction
    > to tinker with rhel5 for a bit; know that you may need to
    > do a dd to zero out the rhel5 before XP can install on it.
    > ...Easy to do, but surprising that you should even have to.
    >
    > This was a tedious situation to debug; I replaced every part
    > in the computer before guessing the hard disk {or prior disk
    > contents}as the culprit. I could hardly believe it,
    > and swapped a factory-fresh HD of the same
    > model back into play to confirm it was indeed the case.
    >
    > I'd built up a new computer, intending to load xp/pro sp2,
    > but thought I'd play around with rhel5 Server for a few
    > days first. To my surprise, the XP install seemed unable
    > to cope with the rhel, and to get past this I had to boot up
    > in RedHat and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=100
    > { I did it in runlevel 1 after umounting /boot and /, but doubt this
    > is required. /dev/sda because this MSI PM8PM-V board
    > and 80 gig WD WD800JD disk treat sata as sda instead of hda
    > under linux.} I had put the grub loader in sda instead of in sda1.
    > Oh, and this was a 3ghz P4 model 631 cpu...
    >
    > The last message XP install prints before black screen is
    > "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."
    >
    > Using a pci vga card didn't help. The keyboard numlock/caps lock
    > leds still toggled ok after the problem kicked in, and control-alt-delete
    > caused a normal reboot, so the xp install was only 'mostly dead'... :-)

    Frank,

    This is a 'classic' problem that Windows cannot handle a linux partition
    table and a Linux mbr.

    In the past with RH 7.3 I hit this problem already.

    If you do a final reboot of Linux do a

    fdisk /dev/sda
    # and remove all partitions

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512k count=1
    # clear mbr

    Should work also.

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  5. Re: XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5

    "Sandgroper" wrote

    > "Frank Winans" wrote
    > >you may need to do a dd to zero out the rhel5 before XP can install on it.

    > All you really needed to do is to repartition the HDD during installation of
    > XP , which is what would be the normal thing to do when you go to change and
    > install another OS on a HDD.

    Yes, that was my original desire, to nuke all disk contents from inside XP install.
    I couldn't do so because XP install croaked pretty much first thing. And, I was
    ignorant that XP could be so 'allergic' to the linux. Other posters indicate this is
    a well-known problem, so maybe I should have googled a bit before making the
    screws fly so fast...

+ Reply to Thread