Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL5 - CUPS - Redhat

This is a discussion on Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL5 - CUPS - Redhat ; I upgraded from RHEL3 to RHEL5 yesterday and of course a lot is missing and things do not work. First one is that CUPS no longer works. I cannot even find a decent configuration interface. It does discover my printer, ...

  1. Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL5 - CUPS

    I upgraded from RHEL3 to RHEL5 yesterday and of course a lot is missing and
    things do not work.

    First one is that CUPS no longer works. I cannot even find a decent
    configuration interface. It does discover my printer, which is on the other
    machine on my LAN running CentOS 4. Any idea if there is documentation on this?

    ^^-^^ 01:10:01 up 13 days, 8:46, 2 users, load average: 5.08, 4.82, 4.38

  2. Re: Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL5 - CUPS

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > I upgraded from RHEL3 to RHEL5 yesterday and of course a lot is missing and
    > things do not work.
    >
    > First one is that CUPS no longer works. I cannot even find a decent
    > configuration interface. It does discover my printer, which is on the other
    > machine on my LAN running CentOS 4. Any idea if there is documentation on this?

    Dear Jean-David,

    system-config-printer is not installed or donīt you like it?

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL5 - CUPS

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> I upgraded from RHEL3 to RHEL5 yesterday and of course a lot is
    >> missing and
    >> things do not work.
    >>
    >> First one is that CUPS no longer works. I cannot even find a decent
    >> configuration interface. It does discover my printer, which is on the
    >> other
    >> machine on my LAN running CentOS 4. Any idea if there is documentation
    >> on this?
    >>

    > Dear Jean-David,
    >

    > system-config-printer is not installed or donīt you like it?
    >

    > Best regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    I do not like it. It is the same thing I get when running off the menu.
    At least, it gives me error messages when I run it from an xterm:

    $ system-config-printer
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line
    1092, in on_tvMainList_cursor_changed
    self.fillPrinterTab(name)
    File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line
    1120, in fillPrinterTab
    self.ppd = printer.getPPD()
    File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/cupshelpers.py", line 160, in getPPD
    filename = self.connection.getPPD(self.name)
    RuntimeError: cupsGetPPD2 failed

    That does not help me much.

    ^^-^^ 01:10:01 up 13 days, 8:46, 2 users, load average: 5.08, 4.82, 4.38

+ Reply to Thread