What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird? - Redhat

This is a discussion on What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird? - Redhat ; Firefox-1.5.0.9 comes with RHEL 5, but I cannot find any for Thunderbird. If I look at Thunderbird web site, 2.0.0.4 seems to be what they supply, and it requires more up-to-date libraries than RHEL 5 supplies. So what do they ...

  1. What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    Firefox-1.5.0.9 comes with RHEL 5, but I cannot find any for Thunderbird.

    If I look at Thunderbird web site, 2.0.0.4 seems to be what they supply, and
    it requires more up-to-date libraries than RHEL 5 supplies.

    So what do they supply instead for email and Usenet?

    They seem to have 'evolution-data-server' and 'evolution-data-server-devel',
    but no 'evolution'. In the old days they supplied evolution, that did not
    work with enigmail. So what have they in mind for users of RHEL 5?

    ^^-^^ 14:55:01 up 4 days, 22:30, 4 users, load average: 4.20, 4.25, 4.27

  2. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:04:50 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > Firefox-1.5.0.9 comes with RHEL 5, but I cannot find any for
    > Thunderbird.
    >
    > If I look at Thunderbird web site, 2.0.0.4 seems to be what they supply,
    > and it requires more up-to-date libraries than RHEL 5 supplies.
    >
    > So what do they supply instead for email and Usenet?
    >
    > They seem to have 'evolution-data-server' and
    > 'evolution-data-server-devel', but no 'evolution'. In the old days they
    > supplied evolution, that did not work with enigmail. So what have they
    > in mind for users of RHEL 5?

    Evolution is there, have you tried to see if the current version does
    what you need it to do?

    For news they have Pan.

  3. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:04:50 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox-1.5.0.9 comes with RHEL 5, but I cannot find any for
    >> Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> If I look at Thunderbird web site, 2.0.0.4 seems to be what they supply,
    >> and it requires more up-to-date libraries than RHEL 5 supplies.
    >>
    >> So what do they supply instead for email and Usenet?
    >>
    >> They seem to have 'evolution-data-server' and
    >> 'evolution-data-server-devel', but no 'evolution'. In the old days they
    >> supplied evolution, that did not work with enigmail. So what have they
    >> in mind for users of RHEL 5?

    > Evolution is there, have you tried to see if the current version does
    > what you need it to do?

    I have the 5 CD-ROMs and it is not there. They have evolution-data-server
    and evolution-data-server-devel, but not evolution. BTW, CentOS 5 has
    evolution. I downloaded that, but since I am running RHEL3 at the moment, I
    will not try to load it.

    > For news they have Pan.

    I have tried various news readers in the past and have never been able to
    make them work right. Whenever I start one up, it goes through all the
    newsgroups I am signed up for, downloading everything from scratch. I do not
    know if I tried Pan or not, but I have tried some of them.

    ^^-^^ 16:40:01 up 5 days, 15 min, 3 users, load average: 4.26, 4.36, 4.31

  4. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:47:28 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:04:50 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Firefox-1.5.0.9 comes with RHEL 5, but I cannot find any for
    >>> Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> If I look at Thunderbird web site, 2.0.0.4 seems to be what they
    >>> supply, and it requires more up-to-date libraries than RHEL 5
    >>> supplies.
    >>>
    >>> So what do they supply instead for email and Usenet?
    >>>
    >>> They seem to have 'evolution-data-server' and
    >>> 'evolution-data-server-devel', but no 'evolution'. In the old days
    >>> they supplied evolution, that did not work with enigmail. So what have
    >>> they in mind for users of RHEL 5?

    >> Evolution is there, have you tried to see if the current version does
    >> what you need it to do?

    > I have the 5 CD-ROMs and it is not there. They have
    > evolution-data-server and evolution-data-server-devel, but not
    > evolution. BTW, CentOS 5 has evolution. I downloaded that, but since I
    > am running RHEL3 at the moment, I will not try to load it.
    >>
    >> For news they have Pan.

    > I have tried various news readers in the past and have never been able
    > to make them work right. Whenever I start one up, it goes through all
    > the newsgroups I am signed up for, downloading everything from scratch.
    > I do not know if I tried Pan or not, but I have tried some of them.

    I've been using Pan for years, I think it's pretty good.

  5. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> For news they have Pan.

    I just looked: they do not have pan. I looked at a pan web site and the
    stuff in RHEL5 is far too old for it.

    >> I have tried various news readers in the past and have never been able
    >> to make them work right. Whenever I start one up, it goes through all
    >> the newsgroups I am signed up for, downloading everything from scratch.
    >> I do not know if I tried Pan or not, but I have tried some of them.

    > I've been using Pan for years, I think it's pretty good.

    Where did you get your pan for RHEL5?

    ^^-^^ 19:05:01 up 5 days, 2:40, 4 users, load average: 4.20, 4.20, 4.13

  6. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:06:43 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > I just looked: they do not have pan. I looked at a pan web site and the
    > stuff in RHEL5 is far too old for it.
    >
    >>> I have tried various news readers in the past and have never been able
    >>> to make them work right. Whenever I start one up, it goes through all
    >>> the newsgroups I am signed up for, downloading everything from
    >>> scratch. I do not know if I tried Pan or not, but I have tried some of
    >>> them.

    >> I've been using Pan for years, I think it's pretty good.

    > Where did you get your pan for RHEL5?

    I'm running CentOS5. I don't think CentOS5 has anything that RHEL5
    doesn't have. If you do a yum -install pan what happens?

  7. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> I just looked: they do not have pan. I looked at a pan web site and the
    >> stuff in RHEL5 is far too old for it.

    >>> I've been using Pan for years, I think it's pretty good.

    >> Where did you get your pan for RHEL5?

    > I'm running CentOS5. I don't think CentOS5 has anything that RHEL5
    > doesn't have. If you do a yum -install pan what happens?

    Right now I am running RHEL3. I have the RHEL5 disks on top of my computer,
    but can install them no sooner than July 1, and I will have to get GnuCash
    running first, and that, too, is not supported by RHEL5. And since
    Thunderbird is not either, I guess I will have to go with Evolution that is
    also not supported. Grrr. Now Evolution _is_ supported by CentOS, so I may
    get it from there and see if it will install on RHEL5. I am also switching
    from IBM DB2 to postgreSQL and hope it will be adequate. I would like all
    the updating to come from one place if I can, and do not need to be bleeding
    edge.

    ^^-^^ 21:05:01 up 5 days, 4:40, 3 users, load average: 4.07, 4.17, 4.10

  8. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>I just looked: they do not have pan. I looked at a pan web site and the
    >>stuff in RHEL5 is far too old for it.

    >>>I've been using Pan for years, I think it's pretty good.

    >>Where did you get your pan for RHEL5?

    > I'm running CentOS5. I don't think CentOS5 has anything that RHEL5
    > doesn't have. If you do a yum -install pan what happens?

    General,

    It is not in the installation tree of RHEL5Server.

    It might be in the RHEL5Client, but I do not have that product.

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  9. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>>I just looked: they do not have pan. I looked at a pan web site and the
    >>>stuff in RHEL5 is far too old for it.

    >>>Where did you get your pan for RHEL5?

    >>I'm running CentOS5. I don't think CentOS5 has anything that RHEL5
    >>doesn't have. If you do a yum -install pan what happens?

    > Right now I am running RHEL3. I have the RHEL5 disks on top of my computer,
    > but can install them no sooner than July 1, and I will have to get GnuCash
    > running first, and that, too, is not supported by RHEL5. And since
    > Thunderbird is not either, I guess I will have to go with Evolution that is
    > also not supported. Grrr. Now Evolution _is_ supported by CentOS, so I may
    > get it from there and see if it will install on RHEL5. I am also switching
    > from IBM DB2 to postgreSQL and hope it will be adequate. I would like all
    > the updating to come from one place if I can, and do not need to be bleeding
    > edge.

    Jean-David,

    I do not use Thunderbird, just the old Netscape 7.2.

    Best regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  10. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    In article ,
    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    :
    :Right now I am running RHEL3. I have the RHEL5 disks on top of my computer,
    :but can install them no sooner than July 1, and I will have to get GnuCash
    :running first, and that, too, is not supported by RHEL5. And since
    :Thunderbird is not either, I guess I will have to go with Evolution that is
    :also not supported. Grrr. Now Evolution _is_ supported by CentOS, so I may
    :get it from there and see if it will install on RHEL5. I am also switching
    :from IBM DB2 to postgreSQL and hope it will be adequate. I would like all
    :the updating to come from one place if I can, and do not need to be bleeding
    :edge.

    Sounds like what you have is RHEL5-Server, which is likely to be missing
    quite a few common desktop applications. CentOS-5 combines the Server
    and Client variants of RHEL5 and has both evolution-2.8.0-33.0.1 and
    thunderbird-1.5.0.12-1 .

    $ rpm -q evolution thunderbird
    evolution-2.8.0-33.0.1.el5
    thunderbird-1.5.0.12-1.el5.centos
    $ cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS release 5 (Final)

  11. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    Robert Nichols wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > :
    > :Right now I am running RHEL3. I have the RHEL5 disks on top of my computer,
    > :but can install them no sooner than July 1, and I will have to get GnuCash
    > :running first, and that, too, is not supported by RHEL5. And since
    > :Thunderbird is not either, I guess I will have to go with Evolution that is
    > :also not supported. Grrr. Now Evolution _is_ supported by CentOS, so I may
    > :get it from there and see if it will install on RHEL5. I am also switching
    > :from IBM DB2 to postgreSQL and hope it will be adequate. I would like all
    > :the updating to come from one place if I can, and do not need to be bleeding
    > :edge.
    >
    > Sounds like what you have is RHEL5-Server, which is likely to be missing
    > quite a few common desktop applications. CentOS-5 combines the Server
    > and Client variants of RHEL5 and has both evolution-2.8.0-33.0.1 and
    > thunderbird-1.5.0.12-1 .
    >
    > $ rpm -q evolution thunderbird
    > evolution-2.8.0-33.0.1.el5
    > thunderbird-1.5.0.12-1.el5.centos
    > $ cat /etc/redhat-release
    > CentOS release 5 (Final)

    I am quite sure you are right. I guess I will get the missing stuff from
    CentOS5 unless I can figure out how to get a supported version from Red Hat
    without paying extra for it.

    ^^-^^ 14:10:01 up 5 days, 21:45, 3 users, load average: 4.35, 4.26, 4.11

  12. Re: What does RHEL 5 use for Thunderbird?

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > I am quite sure you are right. I guess I will get the missing stuff from
    > CentOS5 unless I can figure out how to get a supported version from Red
    > Hat without paying extra for it.

    The Fedora 7 / Development thunderbird-2.0.0.4 rpm packages work with RHEL5,
    but you will need a few updates from the standard RHEL packages;

    $ rpm -qa --qf="%{n}-%{v}-%{r}.%{arch}.rpm\n" thunderbird
    thunderbird-2.0.0.4-1.fc7.x86_64.rpm
    $ cat /etc/*release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5 (Tikanga)

    Also consider adding the epel repo to your yum configuration after
    installing RHEL5: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

    example reason;

    http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/epel/5Ser...1.el5.i386.rpm

+ Reply to Thread