The letter "d" is not recognized in console or xterm - Redhat

This is a discussion on The letter "d" is not recognized in console or xterm - Redhat ; Hi I am running fedora 7 with kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 on my IBM thinkpad T60. For some reason virtual consoles and xterm is no longer able to interpret the action when a type the letter "d". All other characters on my ...

  1. The letter "d" is not recognized in console or xterm

    Hi

    I am running fedora 7 with kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 on my IBM thinkpad
    T60.

    For some reason virtual consoles and xterm is no longer able to
    interpret the action when a type the letter "d". All other
    characters on my US keyboard show up fine on the terminal.

    This started, I think, after the latest update to the present kernel,
    however, the earlier kernel does the same now.

    It is not a hardware problem as you can see. I have no problems in the
    gnome environment in general (except for xterm) and in applications
    started from the virtual console such as VIM.

    At the login stage under xterm and virtual consoles the
    letter d, however, will be displayed without problem.

    In the console or xterm if I first pres ^v and then "d" the letter d
    will also be displayed.

    So I guess something is wrong with how the console or xterm interprets
    that key since ^v sends the next character typed directly thru to the
    device driver with no action or interpretation.

    I have not (deliberately) reassigned the key or tried to make behave
    differently.

    This is the output when start xev and press d:
    "
    KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    root 0x3f, subw 0x0, time 883472991, (358,-81), root368,16),
    state 0x0, keycode 40 (keysym 0x64, d), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (64) "d"
    XFilterEvent returns: False
    "

    I have searched the internet but nothing seems to pertain to this
    problem as they mostly regards getting special characters to work.

    I dont know what else to post as i simply dont know where to begin. I
    hope someone out there can help me.

    kind regards

  2. Re: The letter "d" is not recognized in console or xterm

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:07:52 +0100, xxxfoo wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am running fedora 7 with kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 on my IBM thinkpad
    > T60.
    >
    > For some reason virtual consoles and xterm is no longer able to
    > interpret the action when a type the letter "d". All other characters on
    > my US keyboard show up fine on the terminal.
    >
    > This started, I think, after the latest update to the present kernel,
    > however, the earlier kernel does the same now.
    >
    > It is not a hardware problem as you can see. I have no problems in the
    > gnome environment in general (except for xterm) and in applications
    > started from the virtual console such as VIM.
    >
    > At the login stage under xterm and virtual consoles the letter d,
    > however, will be displayed without problem.
    >
    > In the console or xterm if I first pres ^v and then "d" the letter d
    > will also be displayed.
    >
    > So I guess something is wrong with how the console or xterm interprets
    > that key since ^v sends the next character typed directly thru to the
    > device driver with no action or interpretation.
    >
    > I have not (deliberately) reassigned the key or tried to make behave
    > differently.
    >
    > This is the output when start xev and press d: "
    > KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
    > root 0x3f, subw 0x0, time 883472991, (358,-81), root368,16),
    > state 0x0, keycode 40 (keysym 0x64, d), same_screen YES,
    > XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (64) "d" XFilterEvent returns: False
    > "
    >
    > I have searched the internet but nothing seems to pertain to this
    > problem as they mostly regards getting special characters to work.
    >
    > I dont know what else to post as i simply dont know where to begin. I
    > hope someone out there can help me.
    >
    > kind regards

    I think the hint is the "^Vd" will get you the "d", whereas a "d" seems
    to do nothing. Try an "stty -a" and make sure that (somehow) the letter
    "d" didn't get mapped into the eof/eol/etc signals.

    I'm presuming that you're not having "d-drama" in applications other than
    xterms? The xevent above indicates that the letter is being sent. If
    you're seeing it on more than xterms, check your windowing system
    keyboard accelerators to make sure that it's not accidentally mapped to
    something else.

    I'd go for the "stty -a" first, though ....

+ Reply to Thread