networking - Redhat

This is a discussion on networking - Redhat ; I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any support groups, so here I am... I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up home networking. I can ping my windows machine from the Linux box ...

  1. networking

    I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any
    support groups, so here I am...

    I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up home networking. I can
    ping my windows machine from the Linux box and can ping the Linux box
    from Windows. Under Applications, network servers in Linux it shows
    Windows Network. Under File in the network window if I try to Open, I
    get a bland screen and if I try to browse folder I get smb:/// and
    that's all. I have a home network set up and working with all other
    computers: Two other Windows machines and three Linux boxes, two of
    which are running Ubuntu and one running SUSE and they all work fine
    with both file sharing and print sharing. I can't see the Scientific
    Linux box from any other system in the house.

    From the Scientific box I access the Internet - as I do with all other
    computers - through a cable modem, router and hub.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: networking

    "Joe O" wrote in message
    news:_POdnQsewrBTi8jbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any
    >support groups, so here I am...
    >
    > I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up home networking. I can ping
    > my windows machine from the Linux box and can ping the Linux box from
    > Windows. Under Applications, network servers in Linux it shows Windows
    > Network. Under File in the network window if I try to Open, I get a bland
    > screen and if I try to browse folder I get smb:/// and that's all. I have
    > a home network set up and working with all other computers: Two other
    > Windows machines and three Linux boxes, two of which are running Ubuntu
    > and one running SUSE and they all work fine with both file sharing and
    > print sharing. I can't see the Scientific Linux box from any other system
    > in the house.
    >
    > From the Scientific box I access the Internet - as I do with all other
    > computers - through a cable modem, router and hub.

    You will need to enable and configure Samba on the linux box to be able to
    get windows to access your linux share directories.
    ( hence you get the smb:// prefix on the windows box)
    You will also need to enable and coiffure NFS on the linux box to be able to
    get all the other linux boxes to have access to your linux share
    directories.

    Setting up a home network with 6 machines can get a bit involved , you would
    be better setting up one of the linux boxes as a DNS server and gateway to
    your cable modem.

    There is quite a lot of documentation about setting up linux /windows
    networks , here is just one page

    Linux Documentation Project HOWTOs
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    Here is a google linux search engine
    http://www.google.com/linux

    LinuxQuestions forum
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  3. Re: networking

    Sandgroper wrote:

    > "Joe O" wrote in message
    > news:_POdnQsewrBTi8jbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >
    >>I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any
    >>support groups, so here I am...
    >>
    >>I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up home networking. I can ping
    >>my windows machine from the Linux box and can ping the Linux box from
    >>Windows. Under Applications, network servers in Linux it shows Windows
    >>Network. Under File in the network window if I try to Open, I get a bland
    >>screen and if I try to browse folder I get smb:/// and that's all. I have
    >>a home network set up and working with all other computers: Two other
    >>Windows machines and three Linux boxes, two of which are running Ubuntu
    >>and one running SUSE and they all work fine with both file sharing and
    >>print sharing. I can't see the Scientific Linux box from any other system
    >>in the house.
    >>
    >>From the Scientific box I access the Internet - as I do with all other
    >>computers - through a cable modem, router and hub.

    > You will need to enable and configure Samba on the linux box to be able to
    > get windows to access your linux share directories.
    > ( hence you get the smb:// prefix on the windows box)
    > You will also need to enable and coiffure NFS on the linux box to be able to
    > get all the other linux boxes to have access to your linux share
    > directories.
    >
    > Setting up a home network with 6 machines can get a bit involved , you would
    > be better setting up one of the linux boxes as a DNS server and gateway to
    > your cable modem.
    >
    > There is quite a lot of documentation about setting up linux /windows
    > networks , here is just one page
    >
    > Linux Documentation Project HOWTOs
    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html
    >
    > Here is a google linux search engine
    > http://www.google.com/linux
    >
    > LinuxQuestions forum
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/

    Thanks......That worked and I got it set up.....

    Actually, that makes seven machines networked now, and three of them are
    dual boot, so I'm networked with either OS I boot into. It went smooth
    until I got to SL. I'm just not that versed in Linux; I knew it needed
    to be set up, but some of the commands are still new to me. The Ubuntu
    and SUSE machines pretty much set themselves up.

+ Reply to Thread