Moving user accounts - Redhat

This is a discussion on Moving user accounts - Redhat ; I have an FC4 server that I'd like to convert over to CentOS 5. It's the one machine that I have that has a lot of user accounts so I want transfer the required /etc files rather than having to ...

  1. Moving user accounts

    I have an FC4 server that I'd like to convert over to CentOS 5. It's the
    one machine that I have that has a lot of user accounts so I want
    transfer the required /etc files rather than having to recreate the
    accounts. Which files do I need besides /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

  2. Re: Moving user accounts

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > I have an FC4 server that I'd like to convert over to CentOS 5. It's the
    > one machine that I have that has a lot of user accounts so I want
    > transfer the required /etc files rather than having to recreate the
    > accounts. Which files do I need besides /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

    All their stuff in /home, /var/at, /var/cron, and anywhere else they may
    have stored stuff.
    /etc/shadow

    ^^-^^ 11:00:01 up 2 days, 1:43, 3 users, load average: 4.40, 4.24, 4.20

  3. Re: Moving user accounts

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:06:16 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> I have an FC4 server that I'd like to convert over to CentOS 5. It's
    >> the one machine that I have that has a lot of user accounts so I want
    >> transfer the required /etc files rather than having to recreate the
    >> accounts. Which files do I need besides /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

    > All their stuff in /home, /var/at, /var/cron, and anywhere else they may
    > have stored stuff.
    > /etc/shadow

    Thanks, it was /etc/shadow that I couldn't remember.

  4. Re: Moving user accounts

    General Schvantzkoph writes:

    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:06:16 +0000, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >
    > > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > >> I have an FC4 server that I'd like to convert over to CentOS 5. It's
    > >> the one machine that I have that has a lot of user accounts so I want
    > >> transfer the required /etc files rather than having to recreate the
    > >> accounts. Which files do I need besides /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

    > > All their stuff in /home, /var/at, /var/cron, and anywhere else they may
    > > have stored stuff.
    > > /etc/shadow

    > Thanks, it was /etc/shadow that I couldn't remember.

    Also, don't forget /etc/gshadow.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

+ Reply to Thread