VMware not recognizing xinetd during installation - Redhat

This is a discussion on VMware not recognizing xinetd during installation - Redhat ; I just installed VMware-server-1.0.2-39867.i386.rpm under Fedora Core 6. For some reason the installation script is not recognizing that I do have an /etc/xinetd.d directory (See below). Has anyone encountered this before? -Thanks Please specify a port for remote console connections ...

  1. VMware not recognizing xinetd during installation

    I just installed VMware-server-1.0.2-39867.i386.rpm under Fedora Core 6.
    For some reason the installation script is not recognizing that I do
    have an /etc/xinetd.d directory (See below). Has anyone encountered
    this before?

    -Thanks

    Please specify a port for remote console connections to use [904]

    WARNING: VMware Server has been configured to run on a port different from the
    default port. Remember to use this port when connecting to this server.
    Unable to find any instance of the super-server "inetd" or "xinetd". It is
    possible that you do not have one of these packages installed on this machine.
    Please install "inetd" or "xinetd".

    If you do have "inetd" or "xinetd" installed, make sure that /etc/inetd.conf or
    /etc/xinetd.d exists.
    The configuration will continue, but you should re-run
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl after you fix the super-server.

    Hit enter to continue.

  2. Re: VMware not recognizing xinetd during installation

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:25:26 -0400, Fred wrote:

    > I just installed VMware-server-1.0.2-39867.i386.rpm under Fedora Core 6.
    > For some reason the installation script is not recognizing that I do
    > have an /etc/xinetd.d directory (See below). Has anyone encountered
    > this before?
    >
    > -Thanks
    >

    > Please specify a port for remote console connections to use [904]
    >
    > WARNING: VMware Server has been configured to run on a port different
    > from the default port. Remember to use this port when connecting to this
    > server. Unable to find any instance of the super-server "inetd" or
    > "xinetd". It is possible that you do not have one of these packages
    > installed on this machine. Please install "inetd" or "xinetd".
    >
    > If you do have "inetd" or "xinetd" installed, make sure that
    > /etc/inetd.conf or /etc/xinetd.d exists.
    > The configuration will continue, but you should re-run
    > /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl after you fix the super-server.
    >
    > Hit enter to continue.

    Are you sure that you have xinetd installed? I had to install xinetd when
    I installed VMware Server, FC6 doesn't install it by default.

  3. Re: VMware not recognizing xinetd during installation

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 05:38:05 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > Are you sure that you have xinetd installed? I had to install xinetd when
    > I installed VMware Server, FC6 doesn't install it by default.

    Son of a bitch! No, xinetd is not installed. I'm assuming on my
    Linux workstation I don't have any dependent protocols that need
    to be run under xinetd, like ftp.

    -Thanks

+ Reply to Thread