Updating FC3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Updating FC3 - Redhat ; Hi people , I have been trying to update my FC3 box and I find that I can get a list of the last updates , but I can't access them. I have used the original yum repo files and ...

  1. Updating FC3

    Hi people ,

    I have been trying to update my FC3 box and I find that I can get a list of
    the last updates , but I can't access them.

    I have used the original yum repo files and I get linked to the fedora web
    site which in turn redirects me to the mirror sites and it finds a site and
    lists all the available updates , but when I go to do a yum install , I
    can't do the update and it comes up with a error of :

    File Not Found 404 and/or a error of Unable To Open repomd.xml .

    I have also tried to explicitly enter the basueurls of mirror site into the
    repo files from the list supplied by fedoralegacy and I still get the same
    error message as like above.

    I have checked the repos of these mirror sites and the update files are
    listed.

    It could appear that I may have a outdated gpg , but I am not sure and I
    don't know if that I download it , it will cause problems with my system.

    Has anybody got any ideas or a workable set of yum repo files for FC3.

    Thanks.

    PS Please don't say to upgrade to a later version of Fedora because I quite
    like FC3 with it's setup and I have it running really good and don't really
    want to go to a lot of trouble to install FC6

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  2. Re: Updating FC3

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:32:50 +0800, Sandgroper wrote:

    > Hi people ,
    >
    > I have been trying to update my FC3 box and I find that I can get a list
    > of the last updates , but I can't access them.
    >
    > I have used the original yum repo files and I get linked to the fedora
    > web site which in turn redirects me to the mirror sites and it finds a
    > site and lists all the available updates , but when I go to do a yum
    > install , I can't do the update and it comes up with a error of :
    >
    > File Not Found 404 and/or a error of Unable To Open repomd.xml .
    >
    > I have also tried to explicitly enter the basueurls of mirror site into
    > the repo files from the list supplied by fedoralegacy and I still get
    > the same error message as like above.
    >
    > I have checked the repos of these mirror sites and the update files are
    > listed.
    >
    > It could appear that I may have a outdated gpg , but I am not sure and I
    > don't know if that I download it , it will cause problems with my
    > system.
    >
    > Has anybody got any ideas or a workable set of yum repo files for FC3.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS Please don't say to upgrade to a later version of Fedora because I
    > quite like FC3 with it's setup and I have it running really good and
    > don't really want to go to a lot of trouble to install FC6

    FC3 is no longer supported, there aren't any updates. Fedora is only
    supported for a year, if you want to stay current you have to upgrade to
    each new release (FC6 is the current release). You're other alternative
    is to use a RHEL clone such as Scientific Linux or CentOS. RHEL is
    supported for many years. I have SL 4.4 on one of my machines. I put a
    custom kernel on it because the kernels in RHEL are hopelessly obsolete
    but other wise it works fine. RHEL 5 has just come out, CentOS has a beta
    of CentOS 5, Scientific Linux has an alpha, so now is probably not the
    best time to do an upgrade unless you want to use the a RHEL 4.4 clone.
    If you wait another month, I expect both CentOS and Scientific Linux will
    have their RHEL 5 clones out by then. Your other alternative is to
    upgrade to FC6.

  3. Re: Updating FC3

    "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.03.25.12.39.52@yahoo.com...
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:32:50 +0800, Sandgroper wrote:
    >
    > FC3 is no longer supported, there aren't any updates. Fedora is only
    > supported for a year, if you want to stay current you have to upgrade to
    > each new release (FC6 is the current release). You're other alternative
    > is to use a RHEL clone such as Scientific Linux or CentOS. RHEL is
    > supported for many years. I have SL 4.4 on one of my machines. I put a
    > custom kernel on it because the kernels in RHEL are hopelessly obsolete
    > but other wise it works fine. RHEL 5 has just come out, CentOS has a beta
    > of CentOS 5, Scientific Linux has an alpha, so now is probably not the
    > best time to do an upgrade unless you want to use the a RHEL 4.4 clone.
    > If you wait another month, I expect both CentOS and Scientific Linux will
    > have their RHEL 5 clones out by then. Your other alternative is to
    > upgrade to FC6.

    Thanks for your reply ,
    but what I really want to do is to update my FC3 box to the last lot of
    updates that were available before the support for FC3 stopped.

    I am also using CentOS 4.4 when I am doing my part time studies at a college
    for Linux security and FC5 on my secondary machine at home , but I really
    prefer my FC3 machine as I have set up it just right.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread