ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms - Redhat

This is a discussion on ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms - Redhat ; Hello, I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date ...

  1. ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    Hello,
    I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    that;t it.

    I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.

    Thanks,Fletch

    And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

  2. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    fletchb@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    > enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    > the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    > or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    > everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    > that;t it.

    I think it will bring anything you have on your machine up to date. So to
    reinstall, just install what you ssh and ssl from your distribution disk,
    and then run up2date. It will update them to the current version.

    Alternatively, you could just go to

    https://rhn.redhat.com/network/softw...NVREA&cid=2866

    assuming you are running RHEL 4 for an *86 machine. You could use ftp even a
    web browser to get the files you want from there.

    > I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    > stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    > was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    > file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.
    >
    > Thanks,Fletch
    >
    > And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

    RHEL 5

    ^^-^^ 21:10:01 up 35 days, 8:35, 3 users, load average: 4.32, 4.81, 4.89

  3. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    fletchb@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    > enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    > the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    > or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    > everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    > that;t it.
    >
    > I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    > stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    > was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    > file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.
    >
    > Thanks,Fletch
    >
    > And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

    Hello Fletch,

    I do not use their website, but just run yum (RHEL5) or up2date (RHEL2.1
    up-to RHEL4) to add packages.

    up2date package.rpm installs or updates the package, it also resolves
    dependancies.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    On Mar 24, 2:08 am, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:
    > flet...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    > > enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    > > the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    > > or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    > > everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    > > that;t it.

    > > I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    > > stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    > > was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    > > file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.

    > > Thanks,Fletch

    > > And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

    > Hello Fletch,
    >
    > I do not use their website, but just run yum (RHEL5) or up2date (RHEL2.1
    > up-to RHEL4) to add packages.
    >
    > up2date package.rpm installs or updates the package, it also resolves
    > dependancies.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    But it doesn't repair a bad install and that is what I need. In the
    old days you simply downloaded an rpm and did a force install. If they
    expect this enterprise version to be used in a production environment,
    then they should not have removed the tools needed to run it in such
    an environment. They have hobbled what was once a great distro. In a
    production enviroment you need to fix things NOW, not wait a couple of
    days for their website to decide when you can have it.

    regards,
    Fletch

  5. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    On Mar 23, 8:19 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > flet...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    > > enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    > > the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    > > or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    > > everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    > > that;t it.

    > I think it will bring anything you have on your machine up to date. So to
    > reinstall, just install what you ssh and ssl from your distribution disk,
    > and then run up2date. It will update them to the current version.
    >
    > Alternatively, you could just go to
    >
    > https://rhn.redhat.com/network/softw...es.pxt?upper=2...
    >
    > assuming you are running RHEL 4 for an *86 machine. You could use ftp even a
    > web browser to get the files you want from there.
    >
    > > I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    > > stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    > > was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    > > file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.

    > > Thanks,Fletch

    > > And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

    > RHEL 5

    Not for hobby use but for production environment. No way will I go
    with a distro that won't let me download rpms when I need to repair
    something and only sends them out when it feels like it. I asked their
    website for those rpms yesterday afternoon and still don't have them
    as of yet 24 hours later.

    > --
    > .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
    > /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine 241939.
    > /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
    > ^^-^^ 21:10:01 up 35 days, 8:35, 3 users, load average: 4.32, 4.81, 4.89

  6. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    fletchb@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 8:19 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> flet...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    >>> enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    >>> the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    >>> or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    >>> everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    >>> that;t it.

    >> I think it will bring anything you have on your machine up to date. So to
    >> reinstall, just install what you ssh and ssl from your distribution disk,
    >> and then run up2date. It will update them to the current version.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, you could just go to
    >>
    >> https://rhn.redhat.com/network/softw...es.pxt?upper=2...
    >>
    >> assuming you are running RHEL 4 for an *86 machine. You could use ftp even a
    >> web browser to get the files you want from there.
    >>
    >>> I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    >>> stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    >>> was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    >>> file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.
    >>> Thanks,Fletch
    >>> And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

    >> RHEL 5

    > Not for hobby use but for production environment. No way will I go
    > with a distro that won't let me download rpms when I need to repair
    > something and only sends them out when it feels like it. I asked their
    > website for those rpms yesterday afternoon and still don't have them
    > as of yet 24 hours later.

    I have no idea why that would be. It works just fine for me. Has your
    subscription expired?

    ^^-^^ 17:30:01 up 36 days, 4:55, 3 users, load average: 4.28, 4.41, 4.41

  7. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    fletchb@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 2:08 am, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    > wrote:
    >> flet...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    >>> enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    >>> the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    >>> or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    >>> everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    >>> that;t it.
    >>> I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    >>> stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    >>> was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    >>> file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.
    >>> Thanks,Fletch
    >>> And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

    >> Hello Fletch,
    >>
    >> I do not use their website, but just run yum (RHEL5) or up2date (RHEL2.1
    >> up-to RHEL4) to add packages.
    >>
    >> up2date package.rpm installs or updates the package, it also resolves
    >> dependancies.
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >>
    >> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    > But it doesn't repair a bad install and that is what I need. In the
    > old days you simply downloaded an rpm and did a force install. If they
    > expect this enterprise version to be used in a production environment,
    > then they should not have removed the tools needed to run it in such
    > an environment. They have hobbled what was once a great distro. In a
    > production enviroment you need to fix things NOW, not wait a couple of
    > days for their website to decide when you can have it.

    I do not know why you cannot download any rpm you want? Just go to the
    distribution you want, and select what you want from the page. Here is the
    start of the *86 version of RHEL4

    4Suite-1.0-3.i386 A collections of XML-related technologies for python
    a2ps-4.13b-41.i386 Converts text and other types of files to PostScript(TM).
    acl-2.2.23-5.i386 Access control list utilities.
    acpid-1.0.3-2.i386 ACPI Event Daemon
    alchemist-1.0.34-1.i386 A multi-sourced configuration back-end.

    ^^-^^ 17:35:01 up 36 days, 5:00, 3 users, load average: 4.17, 4.27, 4.34

  8. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    Hi,

    I found Ubuntu to be much more user friendly.

    md

    fletchb@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    > enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    > the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    > or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    > everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    > that;t it.
    >
    > I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    > stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    > was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    > file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.
    >
    > Thanks,Fletch
    >
    > And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

  9. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    On Mar 24, 4:32 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > flet...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> I think it will bring anything you have on your machine up to date. So to
    > >> reinstall, just install what you ssh and ssl from your distribution disk,
    > >> and then run up2date. It will update them to the current version.

    > >> Alternatively, you could just go to

    > >>https://rhn.redhat.com/network/softw...es.pxt?upper=2...

    > >> assuming you are running RHEL 4 for an *86 machine. You could use ftp even a
    > >> web browser to get the files you want from there.

    > >> RHEL 5

    > > Not for hobby use but for production environment. No way will I go
    > > with a distro that won't let me download rpms when I need to repair
    > > something and only sends them out when it feels like it. I asked their
    > > website for those rpms yesterday afternoon and still don't have them
    > > as of yet 24 hours later.

    > I have no idea why that would be. It works just fine for me. Has your
    > subscription expired?

    No and in fact this box is brand new along with the subscription. But
    good news -I was able to finally find a way to individually search and
    download rpms from the the site...I book marked it as I am not going
    through all their hoops for something that should be so simple again!
    SSH is fine now but unsure about ssl. I can't tell if SSL is the
    problem or something else so I was about to just do a restore until I
    was surprised to find RH E 4 doesn't automatically work with USB
    drives.???? I am trying to manually get it working now but their tech
    help doesn't offer a solution if the drive is seen but not assigned a
    device name. Still working on it though.

    I really miss the old days when RH didnt work out of the box but no
    one expected it too. Now it's flashy and big but support is hard to
    deal with and it still needs plenty of help to get it working. Oh well
    let me get back to it.

    regards, Fletch

  10. Re: ftp site for redhat E 4 rpms

    How hard is it to get updates (rpms or tar)?
    Does it support usb drives?

    Thanks, Fletch

    On Mar 25, 3:37 pm, Matt Dick wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found Ubuntu to be much more user friendly.
    >
    > md
    >
    > flet...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I need to reinstall openssh packages (mabye openssl too) for redhat
    > > enterprise and the problem is the version on the machine is newer than
    > > the install cds. If you go to their site they want you to use up2date
    > > or their network manger..but the problem is the manager queues
    > > everything and won;t just let you down it..it just stays queued and
    > > that;t it.

    > > I had no idea redhat had become so hard to deal with but for now I am
    > > stuck with it as I am in the middle of upgrading an email server that
    > > was almost ready to go til I did a whoops and copied over a passwd
    > > file and wiped out some of the ssh accounts.

    > > Thanks,Fletch

    > > And for the future, what is a good distro these days?

+ Reply to Thread