php backported, what does this mean - Redhat

This is a discussion on php backported, what does this mean - Redhat ; RHEL 4 has PHP version 4.3.9. Bugfixes are backported to this version. I hope so, because version 4.3.9 is 2.5 years old. But what exactly does backporting mean. Does this mean that SOME or ALL bugfixes from version 4.3.9 up ...

  1. php backported, what does this mean

    RHEL 4 has PHP version 4.3.9. Bugfixes are backported to this version. I
    hope so, because version 4.3.9 is 2.5 years old. But what exactly does
    backporting mean. Does this mean that SOME or ALL bugfixes from version
    4.3.9 up till the current version are installed ? Are only BUGFIXES
    backported or also added FEATURES ?

    RHEL 5 will be shipping soon and I read that it will contain PHP5.1. If
    changes are backported does that mean I will be able to use features
    from version 5.2 ?

  2. Re: php backported, what does this mean

    JM wrote:

    > RHEL 4 has PHP version 4.3.9. Bugfixes are backported to this version. I
    > hope so, because version 4.3.9 is 2.5 years old. But what exactly does
    > backporting mean. Does this mean that SOME or ALL bugfixes from version
    > 4.3.9 up till the current version are installed ? Are only BUGFIXES
    > backported or also added FEATURES ?
    >
    > RHEL 5 will be shipping soon and I read that it will contain PHP5.1. If
    > changes are backported does that mean I will be able to use features
    > from version 5.2 ?

    Red Hat sites are down right now for maintenance, but when available read;

    http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

    FYI: nothing is stopping you from checking out php-5.1.6 now, for example;

    http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos...4s1.5.i386.rpm

    CentOS == RHEL (CentOS is 100% binary compatible with RHEL)

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

+ Reply to Thread