XWindows doesn't load - Redhat

This is a discussion on XWindows doesn't load - Redhat ; In RH 9, XWindows tries to load, but stops, resetting back to the text logon, then attempting to load back-and-forth, until I press ctl-alt-del and re-boot.. I don't really need the KDE Windows interface, I can work from the shell. ...

  1. XWindows doesn't load

    In RH 9, XWindows tries to load, but stops,
    resetting back to the text logon, then attempting to load
    back-and-forth, until I press ctl-alt-del and re-boot..
    I don't really need the KDE Windows interface,
    I can work from the shell.

    Is there a way to interrupt XWindows from loading
    when RH 9 boots so the shell logon appears?

  2. Re: XWindows doesn't load

    Jumbo Shrimps, Jr. wrote:
    > In RH 9, XWindows tries to load, but stops,
    > resetting back to the text logon, then attempting to load
    > back-and-forth, until I press ctl-alt-del and re-boot..
    > I don't really need the KDE Windows interface,
    > I can work from the shell.
    >
    > Is there a way to interrupt XWindows from loading
    > when RH 9 boots so the shell logon appears?

    Hi,

    If you want to change the default runlevel, edit /etc/inittab to set the
    appropriate level.

    Sincerely,

    Peter Jansson
    http://www.p-jansson.com/
    http://www.jansson.net/

  3. Re: XWindows doesn't load

    On Dec 31 2006, 8:53 pm, "Jumbo Shrimps, Jr."
    wrote:
    > In RH 9, XWindows tries to load, but stops,
    > resetting back to the text logon, then attempting to load
    > back-and-forth, until I press ctl-alt-del and re-boot..
    > I don't really need the KDE Windows interface,
    > I can work from the shell.
    >
    > Is there a way to interrupt XWindows from loading
    > when RH 9 boots so the shell logon appears?

    in command prompt try this
    init 5
    your Xwindow will come
    reason for this probably /tmp directory in your linux os has been
    rename / move /deleted
    try creating new /tmp directory in / filesystem by mkdir tmp & then
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    reboot your pc. & check for all OK.

    Mrugesh Raval

+ Reply to Thread