Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!! - Redhat ; I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot from the CD. And when i boot from a ...

  1. Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing
    it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot
    from the CD.

    And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not found
    in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    ok"

    But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I tried
    just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    error.

    can anyone help?

  2. Re: Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:23:06 +0000, Ray wrote:

    > I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing
    > it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot
    > from the CD.
    >
    > And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not found
    > in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    > ok"
    >

    > But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I tried
    > just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    > error.
    >
    > can anyone help?

    What command did you use to burn the CDs? Just copying an ISO to a CD
    won't give you a bootable CD. For CD ISOs I use cdrecord from the command
    line, for DVD ISOs I use growisofs.

  3. Re: Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:23:06 +0000, Ray wrote:
    >
    >> I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble
    >> installing
    >> it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to
    >> boot
    >> from the CD.
    >>
    >> And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not
    >> found
    >> in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    >> ok"
    >>

    >> But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I
    >> tried
    >> just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    >> error.
    >>
    >> can anyone help?

    > What command did you use to burn the CDs? Just copying an ISO to a CD
    > won't give you a bootable CD. For CD ISOs I use cdrecord from the command
    > line, for DVD ISOs I use growisofs.

    i am trying to dual boot between windows and linux on a box that does not
    have unix on it. i dont think i can use those commands.

    Im using iso buster to extract the file and then burning them to cd

  4. Re: Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 01:11:13 +0000, Ray wrote:

    > "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:23:06 +0000, Ray wrote:
    >>
    >>> I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble
    >>> installing
    >>> it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to
    >>> boot
    >>> from the CD.
    >>>
    >>> And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not
    >>> found
    >>> in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    >>> ok"
    >>>

    >>> But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I
    >>> tried
    >>> just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    >>> error.
    >>>
    >>> can anyone help?

    >> What command did you use to burn the CDs? Just copying an ISO to a CD
    >> won't give you a bootable CD. For CD ISOs I use cdrecord from the command
    >> line, for DVD ISOs I use growisofs.

    > i am trying to dual boot between windows and linux on a box that does not
    > have unix on it. i dont think i can use those commands.
    >
    > Im using iso buster to extract the file and then burning them to cd

    I don't know anything about Windows programs, I'll take your word for it
    that isobuster can burn an ISO. You'll want to make sure that you have the
    complete ISO, check the SHA1SUM of the ISOs. You'll also have to check the
    boot order in your BIOS, you want to make sure that the CDROM comes before
    the hard drive.

    One last thing. Is there a particular reason that you are using RH9? RH9
    is very old. The current free RedHat is Fedora Core 6.

  5. Re: Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    "Ray" writes:

    > "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:23:06 +0000, Ray wrote:
    > >
    > >> I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble
    > >> installing
    > >> it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to
    > >> boot
    > >> from the CD.
    > >>
    > >> And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not
    > >> found
    > >> in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    > >> ok"
    > >>

    > >> But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I
    > >> tried
    > >> just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    > >> error.
    > >>
    > >> can anyone help?

    > > What command did you use to burn the CDs? Just copying an ISO to a CD
    > > won't give you a bootable CD. For CD ISOs I use cdrecord from the command
    > > line, for DVD ISOs I use growisofs.

    > i am trying to dual boot between windows and linux on a box that does not
    > have unix on it. i dont think i can use those commands.
    >
    > Im using iso buster to extract the file and then burning them to cd

    I'm not familiar with your software, so I can't tell exactly what you're
    doing, but one common mistake people make is to extract files from the
    ..iso file and burn them to a CDROM. This will not make a bootable CDROM.
    The .iso file contains the raw data that should be written directly to
    a CDROM. Nothing should be extracted from the .iso file. Maybe your
    CDROM burning software has a term like "image copy" or something.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  6. Re: Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    Ray wrote:
    > "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:23:06 +0000, Ray wrote:
    >>
    >>> I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble
    >>> installing
    >>> it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to
    >>> boot
    >>> from the CD.
    >>>
    >>> And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not
    >>> found
    >>> in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    >>> ok"
    >>>

    >>> But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I
    >>> tried
    >>> just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    >>> error.
    >>>
    >>> can anyone help?

    >> What command did you use to burn the CDs? Just copying an ISO to a CD
    >> won't give you a bootable CD. For CD ISOs I use cdrecord from the command
    >> line, for DVD ISOs I use growisofs.

    > i am trying to dual boot between windows and linux on a box that does not
    > have unix on it. i dont think i can use those commands.
    >
    > Im using iso buster to extract the file and then burning them to cd

    And to add my 2 cents, there is a command line powertoy you can download
    for free from MS. I believe it's called isoburn. Google. Also, any
    commercial CD burinig software like Nero, Roxio, etc will burn an iso image.

    ....kurt

  7. Re: Redhat Linux 9 installation help needed!!!

    Hello,

    To burn in windows I prefer Active@ ISO Burner utilty. That is a
    freeware relailbe utility that is easy to use and quick

    http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

    kurt wrote:
    > Ray wrote:
    > > "General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message

    > >> What command did you use to burn the CDs? Just copying an ISO to a CD
    > >> won't give you a bootable CD. For CD ISOs I use cdrecord from the command
    > >> line, for DVD ISOs I use growisofs.

    > > i am trying to dual boot between windows and linux on a box that does not
    > > have unix on it. i dont think i can use those commands.
    > >
    > > Im using iso buster to extract the file and then burning them to cd
    > >

    > And to add my 2 cents, there is a command line powertoy you can download
    > for free from MS. I believe it's called isoburn. Google. Also, any
    > commercial CD burinig software like Nero, Roxio, etc will burn an iso image.
    >
    > ...kurt

  8. Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    I get the following message when trying to install Netscape in Core 6.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.Or a way to make Firefox more like
    Netscape. They both use Mozilla. It work fine on RH 7.3 and Core 3.
    Thanks for your help.

    [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    [root@localhost
    netscape-installer]#

  9. Re: Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    Jesse Benton wrote:

    > I get the following message when trying to install Netscape in Core 6.
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.Or a way to make Firefox more like
    > Netscape. They both use Mozilla. It work fine on RH 7.3 and Core 3.
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    > bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    > [root@localhost
    > netscape-installer]#

    Netscape 7.2 is old and not supported on FC6,the current replacement is
    seamonkey. Try typing the command as root;
    yum install seamonkry

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  10. Re: Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 12:48 +0000, Lenard wrote:
    > Jesse Benton wrote:
    >
    > > I get the following message when trying to install Netscape in Core 6.
    > > Any ideas would be appreciated.Or a way to make Firefox more like
    > > Netscape. They both use Mozilla. It work fine on RH 7.3 and Core 3.
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    > > bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    > > [root@localhost
    > > netscape-installer]#

    > Netscape 7.2 is old and not supported on FC6,the current replacement is
    > seamonkey. Try typing the command as root;
    > yum install seamonkry

    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction
    Installing: seamonkey #########################
    [1/1]

    Installed: seamonkey.i386 0:1.0.6-0.6.2.fc6
    Complete!
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /media
    [root@localhost media]# ls
    NSCP7.2
    [root@localhost media]# cd NSCP7.2
    [root@localhost NSCP7.2]# cd LINUX
    [root@localhost LINUX]# ls
    netscape-installer
    [root@localhost LINUX]# cd netscape-installer
    [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ls
    config.ini license.txt netscape-installer-bin xpi
    installer.ini netscape-installer README
    [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./ netscape-installer
    bash: ./: is a directory
    [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    [root@localhost netscape-installer]#

    Lenard, I tried and this is the output.

    Jesse Benton

  11. Re: Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    Jesse Benton wrote:
    > [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    > bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    > [root@localhost netscape-installer]#

    Post the output from:
    ls -l /bin/sh

  12. Re: Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 23:54 -0600, Kevin Snodgrass wrote:
    > Jesse Benton wrote:
    > > [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    > > bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    > > [root@localhost netscape-installer]#

    > Post the output from:
    > ls -l /bin/sh[root@localhost LINUX]# cd netscape-installer

    Kevin,
    I don't think this helps. Or I'm doing something wrong.

    [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ls -l /bin/sh
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 30 19:35 /bin/sh -> bash
    [root@localhost netscape-installer]#

  13. Re: Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    Jesse Benton wrote:

    > On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 12:48 +0000, Lenard wrote:
    >> Jesse Benton wrote:
    >>
    >> > I get the following message when trying to install Netscape in Core 6.
    >> > Any ideas would be appreciated.Or a way to make Firefox more like
    >> > Netscape. They both use Mozilla. It work fine on RH 7.3 and Core 3.
    >> > Thanks for your help.
    >> >
    >> > [root@localhost netscape-installer]# ./netscape-installer
    >> > bash: ./netscape-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    >> > [root@localhost
    >> > netscape-installer]#

    >> Netscape 7.2 is old and not supported on FC6,the current replacement is
    >> seamonkey. Try typing the command as root;
    >> yum install seamonkry

    > Running Transaction Test
    > Finished Transaction Test
    > Transaction Test Succeeded
    > Running Transaction
    > Installing: seamonkey #########################
    > [1/1]
    >
    > Installed: seamonkey.i386 0:1.0.6-0.6.2.fc6
    > Complete!

    Good, seamonkey is installed now use it.

    $ /usr/bin/seamonkey

    Or exit the GUI and use it from the start menu
    Internet-->Seamonkey Web Browser

    Forget about installing Netscape 7.2, it is old (August 2004) and is not
    supported by the newer gcc (what you need to compile the app) in FC5/6.

    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  14. Trying to install Netscape 7.2 on Core 6

    Lenard and Kevin,
    Thank for the help. This looks allot better. I had no idea what
    seamonkey was. Thanks for the help.

    Jesse

+ Reply to Thread