getting redhat linux 8 - Redhat

This is a discussion on getting redhat linux 8 - Redhat ; does anyone know where i can download redhat linux 8 for free?...

  1. getting redhat linux 8

    does anyone know where i can download redhat linux 8 for free?

  2. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Ray wrote:

    > does anyone know where i can download redhat linux 8 for free?

    I predict that you will be sorry you asked.

    Bob

  3. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Thanks for your reply, you are very helpful.

    Im trying to replace a broken cd that i already own.

    Please refrain from replying if you are going to be as helpful as this guy.

    "Robert Heiling" wrote in message
    > Ray wrote:
    >>
    >> does anyone know where i can download redhat linux 8 for free?

    > I predict that you will be sorry you asked.
    >
    > Bob

  4. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Ray wrote:

    > "Robert Heiling" wrote in message
    > > Ray wrote:
    > >>
    > >> does anyone know where i can download redhat linux 8 for free?

    > > I predict that you will be sorry you asked.

    > Thanks for your reply, you are very helpful.
    >
    > Im trying to replace a broken cd that i already own.
    >
    > Please refrain from replying if you are going to be as helpful as this guy.

    See! You're sorry already. Just wait until the pro's give you a workover.

    But since you're being so gracious, here's a tip:
    http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...tinstallcdroms

  5. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Robert Heiling wrote:
    > Ray wrote:
    >> "Robert Heiling" wrote in message
    >>> I predict that you will be sorry you asked.

    >> Thanks for your reply, you are very helpful.
    >>
    >> Im trying to replace a broken cd that i already own.
    >>
    >> Please refrain from replying if you are going to be as helpful as this guy.

    > See! You're sorry already. Just wait until the pro's give you a workover.
    >
    > But since you're being so gracious, here's a tip:
    > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...tinstallcdroms

    If he gets it, he will be sorry a second time.

    ^^-^^ 18:15:01 up 49 days, 20:46, 3 users, load average: 4.13, 4.20, 4.18

  6. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > Robert Heiling wrote:
    > > Ray wrote:
    > >> "Robert Heiling" wrote in message
    > >> Thanks for your reply, you are very helpful.
    > >>
    > >> Im trying to replace a broken cd that i already own.
    > >>
    > >> Please refrain from replying if you are going to be as helpful as this guy.

    > > See! You're sorry already. Just wait until the pro's give you a workover.
    > >
    > > But since you're being so gracious, here's a tip:
    > > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...tinstallcdroms

    > If he gets it, he will be sorry a second time.

    It appears that he asked a question because he needed a replacement for that CD.
    My post was responsive to the question that he asked as I've complained here
    recently about non-responsive replies and thought I'd try to set a good example.
    That website alone will expose him to more than just RH8 and I'll give him
    credit for knowing what he's doing. However, you seem to be implying that RH8
    is/was a pos. Were you saying that at the time it was released.

    Bob

  7. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Robert Heiling wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> Robert Heiling wrote:

    >>> See! You're sorry already. Just wait until the pro's give you a workover.
    >>>
    >>> But since you're being so gracious, here's a tip:
    >>> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...tinstallcdroms

    >> If he gets it, he will be sorry a second time.

    > It appears that he asked a question because he needed a replacement for that CD.
    > My post was responsive to the question that he asked as I've complained here
    > recently about non-responsive replies and thought I'd try to set a good example.
    > That website alone will expose him to more than just RH8 and I'll give him
    > credit for knowing what he's doing. However, you seem to be implying that RH8
    > is/was a pos.

    I ran RH5, RH6.0, RH6.2, RH7.3, and RH9. RH8 was not out long enough for me
    to even try it, so I do not know if it was a pos (I think I know what that
    means) at the time.

    >Were you saying that at the time it was released.

    But by now it is going to be nothing but trouble because of all the security
    and other fixes since those days that never got into it.

    ^^-^^ 21:15:01 up 49 days, 23:46, 3 users, load average: 4.24, 4.19, 4.07

  8. Re: getting redhat linux 8

    Robert Heiling writes:

    >It appears that he asked a question because he needed a replacement for that CD.
    >My post was responsive to the question that he asked as I've complained here
    >recently about non-responsive replies and thought I'd try to set a good example.
    >That website alone will expose him to more than just RH8 and I'll give him
    >credit for knowing what he's doing. However, you seem to be implying that RH8
    >is/was a pos. Were you saying that at the time it was released.

    The folks who continuously post advice to the effect that one should use the
    latest release don't generally understand the realities of a datacenter.

    I've several copies of RH8 running in production, have had for several
    years. So long as it continues to provide the excellent uptime for the
    applications being hosted, I see no reason to change. Note this is a
    production datacenter and none of the systems are reachable from the
    internet. Note also that it can take up to 6 months to qualify a new operating
    system release/application combination in a production data center.

    We were a RH6.2 shop prior to qualifying RH8. Could never get any RH7 release
    to qualify. Newer installs now get RHEL4/CentoS4.

    The RH8 ISO images are still available from the Redhat website if you poke
    around a bit.

    scott

+ Reply to Thread