Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0 - Redhat ; Here is my problem, I installed Red Hat 9.0 Personal Desktop. Everything went well, until I wanted to associate a desktop icon such as a CD ROM with a DVD Player(Ogle). When I did this the trash Icon and Home ...

  1. Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    Here is my problem, I installed Red Hat 9.0 Personal Desktop. Everything
    went well, until I wanted to associate a desktop icon such as a CD ROM with
    a DVD Player(Ogle). When I did this the trash Icon and Home follder when
    click on open the DVD program. I no longer could view the contents of the
    trash. Does anyone know what file or program can help me get back to normal.
    Or is there a progrma or file to associate a desktop icon to a program.
    example /etc/... file?

  2. Re: Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:13:32 -0500, Videotron.ca wrote:

    > Here is my problem, I installed Red Hat 9.0 Personal Desktop. Everything
    > went well, until I wanted to associate a desktop icon such as a CD ROM with
    > a DVD Player(Ogle). When I did this the trash Icon and Home follder when
    > click on open the DVD program. I no longer could view the contents of the
    > trash. Does anyone know what file or program can help me get back to normal.
    > Or is there a progrma or file to associate a desktop icon to a program.
    > example /etc/... file?

    Why did you install RH9? RH9 has been obsolete for years, you should
    download Fedora Core 6 and install that. You're not going to get much help
    asking a RH9 question, most people on this group are running a recent
    version of Fedora or RHEL. There have been huge strides on the Linux
    desktop since RH9 came out, you'll be much happier with FC5 or FC6.

  3. Re: Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:13:32 -0500, Videotron.ca wrote:
    >
    > > Here is my problem, I installed Red Hat 9.0 Personal Desktop. Everything
    > > went well, until I wanted to associate a desktop icon such as a CD ROM with
    > > a DVD Player(Ogle). When I did this the trash Icon and Home follder when
    > > click on open the DVD program. I no longer could view the contents of the
    > > trash. Does anyone know what file or program can help me get back to normal.
    > > Or is there a progrma or file to associate a desktop icon to a program.
    > > example /etc/... file?

    > Why did you install RH9? RH9 has been obsolete for years, you should
    > download Fedora Core 6 and install that. You're not going to get much help
    > asking a RH9 question, most people on this group are running a recent
    > version of Fedora or RHEL. There have been huge strides on the Linux
    > desktop since RH9 came out, you'll be much happier with FC5 or FC6.

    Does that mean you don't know the answer to his question?

    Bob

  4. Re: Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:34:05 -0800, Robert Heiling wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:13:32 -0500, Videotron.ca wrote:
    >>
    >> > Here is my problem, I installed Red Hat 9.0 Personal Desktop. Everything
    >> > went well, until I wanted to associate a desktop icon such as a CD ROM with
    >> > a DVD Player(Ogle). When I did this the trash Icon and Home follder when
    >> > click on open the DVD program. I no longer could view the contents of the
    >> > trash. Does anyone know what file or program can help me get back to normal.
    >> > Or is there a progrma or file to associate a desktop icon to a program.
    >> > example /etc/... file?

    >> Why did you install RH9? RH9 has been obsolete for years, you should
    >> download Fedora Core 6 and install that. You're not going to get much help
    >> asking a RH9 question, most people on this group are running a recent
    >> version of Fedora or RHEL. There have been huge strides on the Linux
    >> desktop since RH9 came out, you'll be much happier with FC5 or FC6.

    > Does that mean you don't know the answer to his question?
    >
    > Bob

    I doubt that anyone knows, he's using a very old release. RH9 had Gnome 1.0
    which has long since been superseded. Gnome 1.0 was primitive by
    comparison with the current version of Gnome and undoubtedly it would have
    been very buggy because it was brand new. It's a waste of the OP's time
    and ours trying to make RH9 work. He gives the impression that he just
    installed RH9, which means that he has no reason to stick with it. FC6 is
    free so there is no reason not to download it and install it. It will
    probably fix all of his problems, and if it doesn't there will be a lot
    more people who have FC6 sitting in front of them who can try to reproduce
    his problem on their systems.

  5. Re: Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:34:05 -0800, Robert Heiling wrote:
    >
    > > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > >> Why did you install RH9? RH9 has been obsolete for years, you should
    > >> download Fedora Core 6 and install that. You're not going to get much help
    > >> asking a RH9 question, most people on this group are running a recent
    > >> version of Fedora or RHEL. There have been huge strides on the Linux
    > >> desktop since RH9 came out, you'll be much happier with FC5 or FC6.

    > > Does that mean you don't know the answer to his question?

    > I doubt that anyone knows,

    I'll take that as a yes, that you don't know the answer.

    > he's using a very old release. RH9 had Gnome 1.0
    > which has long since been superseded. Gnome 1.0 was primitive by
    > comparison with the current version of Gnome and undoubtedly it would have
    > been very buggy because it was brand new. It's a waste of the OP's time
    > and ours trying to make RH9 work. He gives the impression that he just
    > installed RH9, which means that he has no reason to stick with it. FC6 is
    > free so there is no reason not to download it and install it. It will
    > probably fix all of his problems, and if it doesn't there will be a lot
    > more people who have FC6 sitting in front of them who can try to reproduce
    > his problem on their systems.

    You know a lot more about his wishes and circumstances than I do then. You gave
    the same unwelcome response to me a number of months ago when I posed a question
    about RH9 and I keep seeing this repeated post like it was on an autoresponder.
    It _does_ get tiresome.

    All you know is that he has the installation CD's for RH9 in hand and my guess
    is that he is mainly trying out linux. He could also possibly be in the
    situation I was a year ago when I had a FC4 DVD in hand, but could find no way
    to get that kernel to boot and therefore went back to RH9. But I doubt that and
    figure that he might be saving himself the lengthy download and burn of FC6 just
    to fool around with linux a bit before making further decisions.

    But that's all merely my conjecture. It would be refreshing though, to see
    replies that were directed at the questions that were asked, not at ones that
    weren't asked and which also seem to draw a lot of "me too"'s.

    Bob

  6. Re: Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:02:05 -0800, Robert Heiling wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> > Does that mean you don't know the answer to his question?

    >> I doubt that anyone knows,

    > I'll take that as a yes, that you don't know the answer.
    >
    >> he's using a very old release. RH9 had Gnome 1.0
    >> which has long since been superseded. Gnome 1.0 was primitive by
    >> comparison with the current version of Gnome and undoubtedly it would have
    >> been very buggy because it was brand new. It's a waste of the OP's time
    >> and ours trying to make RH9 work. He gives the impression that he just
    >> installed RH9, which means that he has no reason to stick with it. FC6 is
    >> free so there is no reason not to download it and install it. It will
    >> probably fix all of his problems, and if it doesn't there will be a lot
    >> more people who have FC6 sitting in front of them who can try to reproduce
    >> his problem on their systems.

    > You know a lot more about his wishes and circumstances than I do then. You gave
    > the same unwelcome response to me a number of months ago when I posed a question
    > about RH9 and I keep seeing this repeated post like it was on an autoresponder.
    > It _does_ get tiresome.
    >
    > All you know is that he has the installation CD's for RH9 in hand and my guess
    > is that he is mainly trying out linux. He could also possibly be in the
    > situation I was a year ago when I had a FC4 DVD in hand, but could find no way
    > to get that kernel to boot and therefore went back to RH9. But I doubt that and
    > figure that he might be saving himself the lengthy download and burn of FC6 just
    > to fool around with linux a bit before making further decisions.
    >
    > But that's all merely my conjecture. It would be refreshing though, to see
    > replies that were directed at the questions that were asked, not at ones that
    > weren't asked and which also seem to draw a lot of "me too"'s.
    >
    > Bob

    About once a week some newbie asks a question about RH9 and I give them
    the same response, use the latest Fedora. I don't know where all of these
    RH9 CDs are coming from, they should all have been turned into drink
    coasters years ago. There is this huge universe of good current Linux
    distros that are free for the taking. All you have to do is download an
    ISO. If you don't have a broadband line you can always buy a set of CDs or
    DVDs from http://www.linuxcentral.com, the cost is barely more than the
    price of postage. I think it's insane to be installing RH9 in 2006 when
    there are so many better distros available. If you don't like Fedora, then
    there is Ubuntu, Mandriva, SUSE, DSL, CentOS, one of them should work fine
    for you. A current distro can handle modern hardware, does a much better
    job of configuring itself, has vastly improved versions of Gnome and KDE,
    has better applications, is patchable, and importantly has a large number
    of people who are using the distro now.

  7. Re: Where to associate desktop icons with programs with Red Hat 9.0

    Videotron.ca wrote:
    > Here is my problem, I installed Red Hat 9.0 Personal Desktop. Everything
    > went well, until I wanted to associate a desktop icon such as a CD ROM with
    > a DVD Player(Ogle). When I did this the trash Icon and Home follder when
    > click on open the DVD program. I no longer could view the contents of the
    > trash. Does anyone know what file or program can help me get back to normal.
    > Or is there a progrma or file to associate a desktop icon to a program.
    > example /etc/... file?

    I can only guess what your level of experience is, so don't be insulted
    if I miss the target. First, make sure you've visited this website:

    http://fedoralegacy.org/

    Learn as much as you can about updating to the latest bug fixes and so
    forth:

    http://fedoralegacy.org/docs/

    Once you've done a full update, please check to see if your problem has
    been solved by bug fixes. I'm betting that will happen.

    Now, after all that, I believe I can get you started by explaining that
    the desktop icons when you first start are fed to you from a common set
    given to everyone. If you create your own, they are supposed to be found
    as files in your home directory, in a folder called "Desktop." Each of
    them is a simple text file, with various configuration parameters. I
    don't recall whether the standard set is also found there or not -- they
    are not in later versions of GNOME.

    You are running GNOME 2.2, I believe. The format for these desktop icons
    would be more or less the same as the later versions of GNOME. Since I
    don't use GNOME, I won't be much specific help, but I do have some idea
    how they work. For example, the file for your Trash icon goes like this:

    ------------
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Link
    URL=trash:/
    Icon=trashcan_full
    EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
    Name=Trash
    ----------- [snip]

    Below that is the name "Trash" in a couple dozen other languages. The
    nature of this icon is to link to a place in the file system, so the
    automatic function is to open a file manager window. If it were an
    application, there would be a command name.

    The quickest path to recovery would be to delete your "Desktop" folder
    and logout. When you log back in, it should replace the missing folder
    automatically.

    --
    Ed Hurst

+ Reply to Thread