Beryl - Redhat

This is a discussion on Beryl - Redhat ; Has anyone tried Beryl on FC6? When I enable it all of the windows are frozen in place and there are no borders. I'm using the latest Nvidia Beta driver on an FX5700 graphics card with 256M of RAM on ...

  1. Beryl

    Has anyone tried Beryl on FC6? When I enable it all of the windows are
    frozen in place and there are no borders. I'm using the latest Nvidia Beta
    driver on an FX5700 graphics card with 256M of RAM on an A64 with 2.5G.
    My xorg.conf is below,

    # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "single head configuration"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "v4l"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"

    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    ModelName "Dell 2407"
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
    VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
    ModeLine "1920x1200" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1920x1200" "1650x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1920x1200" "1650x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1920x1200" "1650x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1920x1200" "1650x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1920x1200" "1650x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

  2. Re: Beryl

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > Has anyone tried Beryl on FC6? When I enable it all of the windows are
    > frozen in place and there are no borders. I'm using the latest Nvidia Beta
    > driver on an FX5700 graphics card with 256M of RAM on an A64 with 2.5G.

    That sounds more like an issue with the window decorator emerald
    (formerly known as cgwd). Try opening a terminal and launching emerald
    once inside a windows manager and see if that generates the borders,
    etc. Please note I haven't tried beryl/emerald on Fedora Core 6 (heck,
    I haven't even tried FC6 yet), but I have been running compiz in Gentoo
    since around March (whenever coffee-buzz started offering ebuilds).
    I've never used beryl/compiz with a Nvidia card, but from the forums
    I've read it looks like your xorg.conf is correct.

    Although the documentation is for Gentoo, I highly suggest checking out:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/Beryl
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
    http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Main_Page

    Also be sure to check out the forums at:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-51.html? (Gentoo's Unsupported
    Software forum)

    Sites for setting up Beryl in Ubuntu should be helpful as well.

  3. Re: Beryl

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:29:41 -0800, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> Has anyone tried Beryl on FC6? When I enable it all of the windows are
    >> frozen in place and there are no borders. I'm using the latest Nvidia Beta
    >> driver on an FX5700 graphics card with 256M of RAM on an A64 with 2.5G.

    > That sounds more like an issue with the window decorator emerald
    > (formerly known as cgwd). Try opening a terminal and launching emerald
    > once inside a windows manager and see if that generates the borders,
    > etc. Please note I haven't tried beryl/emerald on Fedora Core 6 (heck,
    > I haven't even tried FC6 yet), but I have been running compiz in Gentoo
    > since around March (whenever coffee-buzz started offering ebuilds).
    > I've never used beryl/compiz with a Nvidia card, but from the forums
    > I've read it looks like your xorg.conf is correct.
    >
    > Although the documentation is for Gentoo, I highly suggest checking out:
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Beryl
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
    > http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Main_Page
    >
    > Also be sure to check out the forums at:
    > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-51.html? (Gentoo's Unsupported
    > Software forum)
    >
    > Sites for setting up Beryl in Ubuntu should be helpful as well.

    Does compiz do anything useful? In FC6 there are only two effects in the
    compiz menu, a rotating cube when it switches desktops and wobbly windows.
    The rotating cube is just plain annoying and servers no useful purpose.
    The wobbly windows is out and out sickening. I was expecting to see things
    like transparent windows which might have some utility, but there doesn't
    seem to be anything like that.

  4. Re: Beryl

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > Does compiz do anything useful? In FC6 there are only two effects in the
    > compiz menu, a rotating cube when it switches desktops and wobbly windows.
    > The rotating cube is just plain annoying and servers no useful purpose.
    > The wobbly windows is out and out sickening. I was expecting to see things
    > like transparent windows which might have some utility, but there doesn't
    > seem to be anything like that.

    As I mentioned earlier, I'm not too familiar with Fedora's
    implementation of compiz/beryl/XGL/AIGLX, etc. I primarily messed
    around with Xgl when beryl was known as compiz-quinnstorm. True
    transparent windows work well in Xgl (I use rxvt-unicode for those bound
    as the following command: "urxvt -name Terminal -fn
    "xft:Monospaceixelsize=11" -fade 20 +sb -depth 32 -fg white -bg
    rgba:2000/2000/2000/dddd"), and the other more useful features are: live
    alt-tab windows (eg. if a movie was playing, you'd still see it playing
    in the alt-tab selection window), a function which shrinks and fits all
    windows/all windows of one type (similar to expose on the Mac, or skippy
    in Linux) -- again all windows are live, dimming/fading of windows not
    in the foreground.

    Overall most of the functions so far have been primarily eye candy, but
    they stumble upon useful ones every so often. The rate this whole
    project is coming about is amazing, I mean it hasn't even been public a
    year yet and it's quite impressive. One word to the wise, if you intend
    to do anything serious in compiz/beryl, I highly suggest running it
    within screen (the terminal multiplexer). That way any failed sessions
    can be easily re-attached.

  5. Re: Beryl

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:40:24 -0800, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> Does compiz do anything useful? In FC6 there are only two effects in the
    >> compiz menu, a rotating cube when it switches desktops and wobbly windows.
    >> The rotating cube is just plain annoying and servers no useful purpose.
    >> The wobbly windows is out and out sickening. I was expecting to see things
    >> like transparent windows which might have some utility, but there doesn't
    >> seem to be anything like that.

    > As I mentioned earlier, I'm not too familiar with Fedora's
    > implementation of compiz/beryl/XGL/AIGLX, etc. I primarily messed
    > around with Xgl when beryl was known as compiz-quinnstorm. True
    > transparent windows work well in Xgl (I use rxvt-unicode for those bound
    > as the following command: "urxvt -name Terminal -fn
    > "xft:Monospaceixelsize=11" -fade 20 +sb -depth 32 -fg white -bg
    > rgba:2000/2000/2000/dddd"), and the other more useful features are: live
    > alt-tab windows (eg. if a movie was playing, you'd still see it playing
    > in the alt-tab selection window), a function which shrinks and fits all
    > windows/all windows of one type (similar to expose on the Mac, or skippy
    > in Linux) -- again all windows are live, dimming/fading of windows not
    > in the foreground.
    >
    > Overall most of the functions so far have been primarily eye candy, but
    > they stumble upon useful ones every so often. The rate this whole
    > project is coming about is amazing, I mean it hasn't even been public a
    > year yet and it's quite impressive. One word to the wise, if you intend
    > to do anything serious in compiz/beryl, I highly suggest running it
    > within screen (the terminal multiplexer). That way any failed sessions
    > can be easily re-attached.

    I suspect that compiz was thrown into FC6 as an afterthought, what's there
    is completely useless. I've tried the Beryl packages from the Beryl
    repository and they don't seem to work properly, I've removed both compiz
    and Beryl for the moment. I think I'll wait a few months before I try any
    of the 3D stuff again.

  6. Re: Beryl

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > Does compiz do anything useful? In FC6 there are only two effects in the
    > compiz menu, a rotating cube when it switches desktops and wobbly windows.
    > The rotating cube is just plain annoying and servers no useful purpose.
    > The wobbly windows is out and out sickening. I was expecting to see things
    > like transparent windows which might have some utility, but there doesn't
    > seem to be anything like that.

    Compiz does actually give you more than those two effects,including
    transparency.Read the documentation.

+ Reply to Thread