command line dial out - Redhat

This is a discussion on command line dial out - Redhat ; I am running on centos4.3 and try to dial out, yeah just a simple dial out from the external modem to my cell phone number. can it be done by command line only or any script? thanks....

  1. command line dial out

    I am running on centos4.3 and try to dial out, yeah just a simple dial
    out from the external modem to my cell phone number. can it be done by
    command line only or any script?
    thanks.

  2. Re: command line dial out

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway mike888@berlin.com typed:
    > I am running on centos4.3 and try to dial out, yeah just a simple dial
    > out from the external modem to my cell phone number. can it be done by
    > command line only or any script?
    > thanks.

    One way would be to install cu; ok one way might be to install cu.
    I used to dial out with it during my Unix days and I'm assuming
    the Linux version is the same. Blow dust of brain...

    # cu -c /dev/pty2 5554455

    the modem is attached to pty2 and the phone no is 5554455.
    I recall /etc/uucp was where all the configs lived.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  3. Re: command line dial out

    On 6 Jul 2006 22:21:17 -0700, mike888@berlin.com wrote:
    > I am running on centos4.3 and try to dial out, yeah just a simple dial
    > out from the external modem to my cell phone number. can it be done by
    > command line only or any script?
    > thanks.

    kermit can do this, and it has extensive scripting facilities.
    You may even have it installed already; it depends on the type
    of install you did.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  4. Re: command line dial out

    Thanks for the helps.
    Do you know if kermit can send sms to cell phone?
    thanks.

    Dale Dellutri wrote:
    > On 6 Jul 2006 22:21:17 -0700, mike888@berlin.com wrote:
    > > I am running on centos4.3 and try to dial out, yeah just a simple dial
    > > out from the external modem to my cell phone number. can it be done by
    > > command line only or any script?
    > > thanks.

    > kermit can do this, and it has extensive scripting facilities.
    > You may even have it installed already; it depends on the type
    > of install you did.
    >
    > --
    > Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

+ Reply to Thread