7.2 and 9.0 freeze - Redhat

This is a discussion on 7.2 and 9.0 freeze - Redhat ; I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB. FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that ...

  1. 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage
    and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB.
    FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that old machine, so I installed
    RH7.2. It seemed to be running Ok, but there was a problem when it was left
    unattended. I think the screen saver was taking effect and I'd find it frozen
    with a blank screen. Space bar and/or mouse movement would not get it to come
    back to life.

    So I fresh installed RH9.0 (everything) and it now freezes at the text "login:"
    prompt. This looks familiar, but I can't remember the problem.

    I've run memtest86 for a day and there were zero errors. Win98 has been
    installed on hdb-6.4GB (the 1.6GB is setup as linux swap) now and it runs
    without any problems, so I doubt that the freezing is any sort of hardware
    problem.

    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

    Bob

  2. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:56:01 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:

    > I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage
    > and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB.
    > FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that old machine, so I installed
    > RH7.2. It seemed to be running Ok, but there was a problem when it was left
    > unattended. I think the screen saver was taking effect and I'd find it frozen
    > with a blank screen. Space bar and/or mouse movement would not get it to come
    > back to life.
    >
    > So I fresh installed RH9.0 (everything) and it now freezes at the text "login:"
    > prompt. This looks familiar, but I can't remember the problem.
    >
    > I've run memtest86 for a day and there were zero errors. Win98 has been
    > installed on hdb-6.4GB (the 1.6GB is setup as linux swap) now and it runs
    > without any problems, so I doubt that the freezing is any sort of hardware
    > problem.
    >
    > Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    >
    > Bob

    I don't think that the resource requirements for FC5 are all that much
    greater then they were for RH9. You might want to try it and see what
    happens. You could also give Damn Small Linux a try, it's much lighter
    weight then RH9 was and it's using modern components.

  3. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:56:01 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    >
    > > I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage
    > > and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB.
    > > FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that old machine, so I installed
    > > RH7.2. It seemed to be running Ok, but there was a problem when it was left
    > > unattended. I think the screen saver was taking effect and I'd find it frozen
    > > with a blank screen. Space bar and/or mouse movement would not get it to come
    > > back to life.
    > >
    > > So I fresh installed RH9.0 (everything) and it now freezes at the text "login:"
    > > prompt. This looks familiar, but I can't remember the problem.
    > >
    > > I've run memtest86 for a day and there were zero errors. Win98 has been
    > > installed on hdb-6.4GB (the 1.6GB is setup as linux swap) now and it runs
    > > without any problems, so I doubt that the freezing is any sort of hardware
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    > >
    > > Bob

    > I don't think that the resource requirements for FC5 are all that much
    > greater then they were for RH9. You might want to try it and see what
    > happens.

    I hadn't mentioned the other specs of this 233MMX machine, but the release notes
    for FC5 indicate that the 128MB memory it has will not support graphics for
    either install or operation. That was my experience a few days ago when I
    started an install with just the first CD of FC5. I've also started installs of
    ubuntu 6.06, suse 10.0, & centos4.2 just to see what they look like, before

    > You could also give Damn Small Linux a try, it's much lighter
    > weight then RH9 was and it's using modern components.

    True. That are lots of alternatives, but right now I'd like to solve a problem
    that shouldn't be happening.

    Bob

  4. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:30:02 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:56:01 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    >>
    >> > I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage
    >> > and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB.
    >> > FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that old machine, so I installed
    >> > RH7.2. It seemed to be running Ok, but there was a problem when it was left
    >> > unattended. I think the screen saver was taking effect and I'd find it frozen
    >> > with a blank screen. Space bar and/or mouse movement would not get it to come
    >> > back to life.
    >> >
    >> > So I fresh installed RH9.0 (everything) and it now freezes at the text "login:"
    >> > prompt. This looks familiar, but I can't remember the problem.
    >> >
    >> > I've run memtest86 for a day and there were zero errors. Win98 has been
    >> > installed on hdb-6.4GB (the 1.6GB is setup as linux swap) now and it runs
    >> > without any problems, so I doubt that the freezing is any sort of hardware
    >> > problem.
    >> >
    >> > Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    >> >
    >> > Bob

    >> I don't think that the resource requirements for FC5 are all that much
    >> greater then they were for RH9. You might want to try it and see what
    >> happens.

    > I hadn't mentioned the other specs of this 233MMX machine, but the release notes
    > for FC5 indicate that the 128MB memory it has will not support graphics for
    > either install or operation. That was my experience a few days ago when I
    > started an install with just the first CD of FC5. I've also started installs of
    > ubuntu 6.06, suse 10.0, & centos4.2 just to see what they look like, before
    >
    >> You could also give Damn Small Linux a try, it's much lighter
    >> weight then RH9 was and it's using modern components.

    > True. That are lots of alternatives, but right now I'd like to solve a problem
    > that shouldn't be happening.
    >
    > Bob

    If you really want to get RH9 working your best bet would be to search for
    your problems in Google Groups and see if you can dredge up an answer that
    someone posted when RH9 was current. RH9 is so old that most of us have
    forgotten the fine details of it's problems. Using a contemporary
    lightweight distro means that there will be other current users to answer
    questions. DSL is so small (50 MBytes) that you can download it in a few
    minutes. If I were you I'd burn a DSL live CD and try it. If it works
    satisfactorily then you can forget about getting RH9 to work.

  5. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:30:02 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    >
    > > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > >> I don't think that the resource requirements for FC5 are all that much
    > >> greater then they were for RH9. You might want to try it and see what
    > >> happens.

    > > I hadn't mentioned the other specs of this 233MMX machine, but the release notes
    > > for FC5 indicate that the 128MB memory it has will not support graphics for
    > > either install or operation. That was my experience a few days ago when I
    > > started an install with just the first CD of FC5. I've also started installs of
    > > ubuntu 6.06, suse 10.0, & centos4.2 just to see what they look like, before
    > >
    > >> You could also give Damn Small Linux a try, it's much lighter
    > >> weight then RH9 was and it's using modern components.

    > > True. That are lots of alternatives, but right now I'd like to solve a problem
    > > that shouldn't be happening.
    > >
    > > Bob

    > If you really want to get RH9 working your best bet would be to search for
    > your problems in Google Groups and see if you can dredge up an answer that
    > someone posted when RH9 was current. RH9 is so old that most of us have
    > forgotten the fine details of it's problems.

    I was only hoping that it might be a configuration problem that I could edit and
    that someone here might remember off the top of their head.

    > Using a contemporary
    > lightweight distro means that there will be other current users to answer
    > questions. DSL is so small (50 MBytes) that you can download it in a few
    > minutes. If I were you I'd burn a DSL live CD and try it. If it works
    > satisfactorily then you can forget about getting RH9 to work.

    That isn't what I want to do. It will take me less time to simply reinstall with
    a different configuration and see if that does the trick. It wasn't supposed to
    happen in the first place, so that may be the easiest fix.

    Bob

  6. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:25:38 -0700, Robert Heiling
    wrote:

    >General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> > I hadn't mentioned the other specs of this 233MMX machine, but the release notes
    >> > for FC5 indicate that the 128MB memory it has will not support graphics for
    >> > either install or operation. That was my experience a few days ago when I
    >> > started an install with just the first CD of FC5. I've also started installs of
    >> > ubuntu 6.06, suse 10.0, & centos4.2 just to see what they look like, before

    >> > True. That are lots of alternatives, but right now I'd like to solve a problem
    >> > that shouldn't be happening.
    >> >
    >> > Bob

    >> If you really want to get RH9 working your best bet would be to search for
    >> your problems in Google Groups and see if you can dredge up an answer that
    >> someone posted when RH9 was current. RH9 is so old that most of us have
    >> forgotten the fine details of it's problems.

    >I was only hoping that it might be a configuration problem that I could edit and
    >that someone here might remember off the top of their head.
    >
    >> Using a contemporary
    >> lightweight distro means that there will be other current users to answer
    >> questions. DSL is so small (50 MBytes) that you can download it in a few
    >> minutes. If I were you I'd burn a DSL live CD and try it. If it works
    >> satisfactorily then you can forget about getting RH9 to work.

    >That isn't what I want to do. It will take me less time to simply reinstall with
    >a different configuration and see if that does the trick. It wasn't supposed to
    >happen in the first place, so that may be the easiest fix.
    >
    >Bob

    If you really prefer to use an old Red Hat version at this point
    rather than switch distributions, you should at least use the
    fedoralegacy.org updates (available for 7.3 and 9, though not for
    7.2). That might solve the problem. I used 7.3 with only 128MB RAM a
    few years ago and it seemed tolerable, though I would guess some
    applications (OpenOffice?) would have had trouble if I'd tried them,
    regardless of the distribution. Even if you go with DSL or something,
    you might want to see whether the system will accept more RAM (and
    whether you can find compatible RAM cheap enough).

  7. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:56:01 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    > I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage
    > and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB.
    > FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that old machine, so I installed
    > RH7.2. It seemed to be running Ok, but there was a problem when it was left
    > unattended. I think the screen saver was taking effect and I'd find it frozen
    > with a blank screen. Space bar and/or mouse movement would not get it to come
    > back to life.

    > So I fresh installed RH9.0 (everything) and it now freezes at the text "login:"
    > prompt. This looks familiar, but I can't remember the problem.

    I'm trying to understand what you mean by "freezes". Have you
    tried typing "root" at the prompt, and then use the password you set
    up during the install?

    If you fresh installed RH9, then perhaps this is the normal login
    prompt, waiting for you to login.

    Also, I seem to remember that an "everything" install of RH9 gave some
    users problems. Perhaps you should try a "Workstation" (I think it
    was called) install.

    It's been a long time since I installed a RH9 system, and I never did
    an "Everything" install.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  8. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    Dale Dellutri wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:56:01 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    > > I recently rescued a 1995-vintage pentium 233 from the back corner of my garage
    > > and returned the borrowed hardware to it - floppy, HD's 8.4GB, 6.4GB, & 1.6GB.
    > > FC5, as I have here, is out of the question for that old machine, so I installed
    > > RH7.2. It seemed to be running Ok, but there was a problem when it was left
    > > unattended. I think the screen saver was taking effect and I'd find it frozen
    > > with a blank screen. Space bar and/or mouse movement would not get it to come
    > > back to life.

    > > So I fresh installed RH9.0 (everything) and it now freezes at the text "login:"
    > > prompt. This looks familiar, but I can't remember the problem.

    > I'm trying to understand what you mean by "freezes".

    Only what's normally meant by the term - the system is frozen or hung. There is
    no HD activity and key depressions have no effect and aren't echoed on the
    screen. Mouse movements do not result in movement of cursor if on a graphics
    screen.

    > Have you
    > tried typing "root" at the prompt, and then use the password you set
    > up during the install?

    You are joking I hope.

    > If you fresh installed RH9, then perhaps this is the normal login
    > prompt, waiting for you to login.

    As above.

    > Also, I seem to remember that an "everything" install of RH9 gave some
    > users problems. Perhaps you should try a "Workstation" (I think it
    > was called) install.

    I can recall that there was an obscure Asian font that caused problems with it
    in the past and just that one font needed to be left out. That problem didn't
    show up this time. Now I have re-installed with the simple personal computer
    installation instead and that is now freezing on the Welcome screen and hasn't
    even completed the setup.

    > It's been a long time since I installed a RH9 system, and I never did
    > an "Everything" install.

    I'm trying various kernel parameters in grub in search of a solution. mem=128M
    didn't help, so I'll try others.

    > > I've run memtest86 for a day and there were zero errors. Win98 has been
    > > installed on hdb-6.4GB (the 1.6GB is setup as linux swap) now and it runs
    > > without any problems, so I doubt that the freezing is any sort of hardware
    > > problem.

    > > Does this sound familiar to anyone?

    Bob

  9. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:34:51 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    > Dale Dellutri wrote:
    > > Also, I seem to remember that an "everything" install of RH9 gave some
    > > users problems. Perhaps you should try a "Workstation" (I think it
    > > was called) install.

    > I can recall that there was an obscure Asian font that caused problems with it
    > in the past and just that one font needed to be left out. That problem didn't
    > show up this time. Now I have re-installed with the simple personal computer
    > installation instead and that is now freezing on the Welcome screen and hasn't
    > even completed the setup.

    One last suggestion. Reboot with a linux live CD (like Knoppix), then
    use that to look at /var/log/messages or other log files on the
    harddrive.

    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  10. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    General Schvantzkoph writes:

    >I seem to remember that RH6.x was pretty buggy. RH7.3 worked well and I

    6.2 was rock-solid. Ran several services on 6.2 until just last year.

    7.0, 7.2 were both very bad releases.

    8.0 was pretty solid; still running a website on 8.0; no reason to change.

    scott

  11. Re: 7.2 and 9.0 freeze

    Dale Dellutri wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:34:51 -0700, Robert Heiling wrote:
    > > Dale Dellutri wrote:
    > > > Also, I seem to remember that an "everything" install of RH9 gave some
    > > > users problems. Perhaps you should try a "Workstation" (I think it
    > > > was called) install.

    > > I can recall that there was an obscure Asian font that caused problems with it
    > > in the past and just that one font needed to be left out. That problem didn't
    > > show up this time. Now I have re-installed with the simple personal computer
    > > installation instead and that is now freezing on the Welcome screen and hasn't
    > > even completed the setup.

    > One last suggestion. Reboot with a linux live CD (like Knoppix), then
    > use that to look at /var/log/messages or other log files on the
    > harddrive.

    Good thought. I'll just use the tomsrtbt recovery floppy that I've been using to
    fix grub etc. Waiting for a new install to complete right now as hangs and hard
    boots do wonders to the file system. Thanks for the tip!

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread